Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Famicom Strider Thread + info on the repro hack

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:21:08 PM
Arasoi (2)

(R M) < Tourian Tourist >
Oregon
Thanks for the info kaz. When the item gets here I will run through it, and verify the game is complete and can be run through fully without game killing bugs/glitches. I think a reproduction run will be likely after bug fixing and re-translation by folks more talented than I.

-------------------------

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:45:24 PM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Congrats!

Are there known major differences between the Famicom and NES releases? That looks like the same screen aside from text layout/language.

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:13:15 PM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
From my understanding, there are some level differences and there could be a bit more. For a repro run I would want to work with a rom hacker that could fix some of the fundamental game mechanics issues that both versions have to release a superior game, in addition to an English translation that more closely matches the original manga that the NES/FC title is based on. 

I would also like to release this both on 72 pin and 60 pin carts, but acquiring the shells at a reasonable price for Famicom carts would present an issue.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:24:19 AM
dire51 (0)
(Rob ) < Little Mac >
Florida
Congratulations Arasoi! This is awesome news, and when you have a repro made, put me down for one.

Egad, between this and the upcoming Parody World Monster Party repro, my NES (or Famicom) will be getting quite the workout this year!

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:11:08 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Awesome news, I'm down for a copy when your ready!

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:44:30 AM
tsunami.video.games (4)
(R L) < Crack Trooper >
Japan
Wow! Congrats. Another rare gem.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:55:43 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Looks pretty cool. Congrats man!

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:03:02 AM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
http://imgur.com/a/ObB2V...

From my obversations, the data from Famicom2008 and Arasoi's carts are the same, but different art, including a stamp. It might be that these are 2 out of the 5 cartridges that were part of the tiny rumor about them being sent to reviewers.

Prototyping -> Good enough to show to GC-CX -> Bugfixes, close to retail -> Reviewed by 5 magazine employees -> Longer delays -> Quick makeup for nonexistent release with arcade game

That's what I think of this. I still don't know why they had eventually pushed the release date. :I

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:48:44 AM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
I'm currently reaching out to a couple of online communities to see if I can get support for the triangle jump fix and re-translation I've proposed for the reproduction run.

It may take some time to get assistance with all of this, but I promise to release the highest quality product I can.

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:56:00 AM
dire51 (0)
(Rob ) < Little Mac >
Florida
Arasoi, may I suggest The Strider Citadel for translation assistance? There are a couple of members there that have been working on translations for quite a while (namely of the original Strider manga, but also various other Strider documents as well). This is something I think they may be happy to help with.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:30:50 AM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: Arasoi

I'm currently reaching out to a couple of online communities to see if I can get support for the triangle jump fix and re-translation I've proposed for the reproduction run.

It may take some time to get assistance with all of this, but I promise to release the highest quality product I can.
Don't forget to release the unaltered dump version aswell.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:16:09 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Can't wait to see what happens with this.

Strider was one of my favorite games growing up.

Now if only the NES had gotten a scaled down port arcade or that never released, long unreleased Supergrafx version would show up, my Strider dreams would all have come true.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:28:42 PM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: kazblox

Don't forget to release the unaltered dump version aswell.

Arasoi's plan is to do the repro before releasing the unaltered dump.

From strider citadel:
"I won the auction for the Strider Hiryu FC proto, I thought I would drop in and let those who are interested in it know my plans. To recover costs, and also release a nice product for those interested I am going to try and make a reproduction run with the following features before releasing the rom publicly:"

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:29:11 PM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
Originally posted by: dire51

Arasoi, may I suggest The Strider Citadel for translation assistance? There are a couple of members there that have been working on translations for quite a while (namely of the original Strider manga, but also various other Strider documents as well). This is something I think they may be happy to help with.

I'm delighted to say I've already registered there and received an offer of translation support, if all goes well the translation should be very accurate and faithful to Strider lore

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:20:09 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Nice to hear that you have big plans for it! Hopefully it goes smoothly. Have you done something like this before?

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:17:18 PM
dire51 (0)
(Rob ) < Little Mac >
Florida

Originally posted by: dire51

I'm delighted to say I've already registered there and received an offer of translation support, if all goes well the translation should be very accurate and faithful to Strider lore

I just saw that, and it's good to see you there. I have to say, there's a good crew there. The guys that founded Striderpedia post there regularly, plus there's Scion from the Light Sword Cypher Mainframe (and myself, of course). 

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:26:01 PM
Eteponge (0)

< Cherub >
So, Famicom Cafe initially buys up both the Monster Party Famicom and the Strider Famicom prototypes (a few years ago), and declares that he wants them both buried with him in his grave? (So that no one else can ever have them?) And now someone wants to repro ( and translate) and release those games?! (Both games now getting a great repro release?!) Yes, yes!

Edited: 04/04/2014 at 08:37 PM by Eteponge

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:11:10 PM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: Eteponge

So, Famicom Cafe initially buys up both the Monster Party Famicom and the Strider Famicom prototypes (a few years ago), and declares that he wants them both buried with him in his grave? (So that no one else can ever have them?) And now someone wants to repro ( and translate) and release those games?! (Both games now getting a great repro release?!) Yes, yes!
Yes, you are correct!

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:51:54 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
I have to ask, was his stance really that dramatic, or have people just taken his lack of desire to publicly share them as "wanting to take them to his grave?"

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:19:43 PM
Eteponge (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: CD2193

I have to ask, was his stance really that dramatic, or have people just taken his lack of desire to publicly share them as "wanting to take them to his grave?"

No, he literally said he wanted to be buried with the cart.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:16:30 PM
kazblox (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Arasoi estimated that the cartridge would be successfully shipped in the next 2-3 weeks. Considering that the ASM hacking to fit the translated text and the bugfixing will take a bit devious time, expect a release around the late middle or the end of May with the unaltered rom. If reviewing results in more bugs, it should be finished at the beginning of June, 4th - 13th.

Edited: 04/05/2014 at 01:17 PM by kazblox

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:34:25 PM
Arasoi (2)

Oregon
Originally posted by: kazblox

Arasoi estimated that the cartridge would be successfully shipped in the next 2-3 weeks. Considering that the ASM hacking to fit the translated text and the bugfixing will take a bit devious time, expect a release around the late middle or the end of May with the unaltered rom. If reviewing results in more bugs, it should be finished at the beginning of June, 4th - 13th.
There has been a misunderstanding, while the shipping date is accurate the other dates are estimates on kazblox's part.

I will post an update when I can give true estimates, there are a lot of balls in the air right now while I work with hackers and translators. I ask for patience on everyone's part while I work to bring everything together.

Edited: 04/05/2014 at 01:34 PM by Arasoi

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:01:53 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Just be happy that you own it and it's on the way, and well that the balls are in the air as there could be far worse places.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:22:27 PM
blueskyrunner (0)

< Cherub >
I can see looking at this topic this won't be for a while... but hey, sign me up for one of those repros when it happens. I'd be pretty interested in that.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:48:42 PM
ForzaBot (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: Eteponge

Yep, F'  famicomcafe. Have fun "taking to your grave" what we all are going to be enjoying soon!

And on topic, is it worth a translation? isnt the major difference the fact that it has the Japanese text boxes and thats about it? I think it would be best to do an unaltered original famicom version, seeing as how Strider already exists in a similar form for the NES.

Edited: 04/07/2014 at 04:50 PM by ForzaBot