Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew New NES game - Sydney Hunter & The Mayan's Revenge New NES Homebrew

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:16:34 PM
Gamester81 (1)
< Little Mac >
Arizona
Hey Guys, as J-F mentioned I'm working with CollectorVision to produce Sydney Hunter & The Mayan's Revenge game. I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop as to the progress for this game as this game is continually being developed. This is one of many future NES home brews to come.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:19:43 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Gamester81

Hey Guys, as J-F mentioned I'm working with CollectorVision to produce Sydney Hunter & The Mayan's Revenge game. I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop as to the progress for this game as this game is continually being developed. This is one of many future NES home brews to come.

That'll be much appreciated, killer channel by the way!

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:27:07 PM
DoNotWant (1)

(Ham Sammich) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden

Nice! Will we get any game play vids on your channel?

-------------------------

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:24:11 AM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Whoever is directing the graphics and colors obviously knows what they're doing. I haven't seen many NES games that look that detailed with such a smart choice of colors, the style reminds me a little of Little Samson.  That spider web being drawn the way it is, for example, shows a great way to 'hide' how the NES has to assign background attributes in 16*16 pixel spaces.

Did you hire a "professional" for the graphics, or is the sprite artist just that talented?

I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 12:26 AM by Luigi_Master

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:33:34 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

If they all are similar quality to this, I will be a buyer of everything!

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:35:18 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I haven't either, the detailing and use of color are superb, especially for a home brew as it doesn't come off looking cheap in the least bit but like a good period level quality release on the upper end. I have to admit I'm interested, maybe I'd buy it, but I'd like to see how things progress.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:43:57 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Im extremely pumped for this badboy

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:19:29 AM
Gamester81 (1)
< Little Mac >
Arizona

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 01:19 AM by Gamester81

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:20:00 AM
Gamester81 (1)
< Little Mac >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Shane

That'll be much appreciated, killer channel by the way!

Thanks, I appreciate that. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:22:22 AM
Gamester81 (1)
< Little Mac >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Luigi_Master

Whoever is directing the graphics and colors obviously knows what they're doing. I haven't seen many NES games that look that detailed with such a smart choice of colors, the style reminds me a little of Little Samson.  That spider web being drawn the way it is, for example, shows a great way to 'hide' how the NES has to assign background attributes in 16*16 pixel spaces.

Did you hire a "professional" for the graphics, or is the sprite artist just that talented?
J-F has been tweaking the graphics to work with teh 16*16 pixel space.  We are in talks with a NES programer currently to help program the graphics and help with the audio for the game. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet, because we haven't officially signed him up yet; though it's looking promising.  I'll keep you guys posted when we get everything squared away.  I have a feeling many of you may know who he is already.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:24:45 AM
collectorvision (44)
(J-F Dupuis) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Thanks guys for the sweet comments!

In fact, we re-design the game 3 times according to what the NES is cappable of , but also being the most creative as possible using an old game as a gameplay model (Montezuma's Revenge)

The guy who make the graphics, sprites and animations is simply an awesome artist!
It's just amazing what he can do with pixels and few colors

Mayan's Revenge idea came from our actual game developement of Sydney Hunter & The Caverns of Death
A game that will soon be available on steam and pretty much every other platforms if everything goes well
The game is in 16 bits and also 8 bits and all graphics were done by the same guy who make the graphics for Mayan's Revenge
Sydney Hunter character is original idea from him
His name is Keith btw

Publishing homebrew for Classic Systems

http://www.collectorvision.com
http://www.facebook.com/collectorvision...

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:29:12 AM
collectorvision (44)
Quebec

J-F has been tweaking the graphics to work with teh 16*16 pixel space.  We are in talks with a NES programer currently to help program the graphics and help with the audio for the game. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet, because we haven't officially signed him up yet; though it's looking promising.  I'll keep you guys posted when we get everything squared away.  I have a feeling many of you may know who he is already.

Yes correct, the very first attempt were my graphics , .... But since then Keith took the job to make the game nicer
I will not take credit on GFXs, Keith did too much of them 

BTW: I think i already let the cat out ... Doh! 

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:53:26 AM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Nice work. I look forward to updates!!

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:42:22 AM
The Bear (57)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Dat screenshot.

Looks awesome.

Creator of Bits & GloryYouTube | Twitch | TwitterInstagram | Facebook

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:01:29 AM
GhostOfSparta (123)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Wow this looks great so far. I cant wait to see more updates.

My FS Thread

My WTB Thread

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:39:17 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
United States
That reminds me, considering the wording, it seems as if this is a mockup rather than an in-game screenshot, correct? The guy for example appears to be "transparent", as you can see the background behind him through his hat and eyes, and he has four unique colors. In fact, aside from the flames, skeleton, and snakes, everything is made with just two colors (the black would be the ever-present "transparency" color). Not a complaint at all, in fact I was surprised.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:35:43 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Looks amazing!

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:12:02 PM
collectorvision (44)
Quebec

That reminds me, considering the wording, it seems as if this is a mockup rather than an in-game screenshot, correct? The guy for example appears to be "transparent", as you can see the background behind him through his hat and eyes, and he has four unique colors. In fact, aside from the flames, skeleton, and snakes, everything is made with just two colors (the black would be the ever-present "transparency" color). Not a complaint at all, in fact I was surprised.

Good eye

fact is when I pasted the character on the screen, I pasted the Black as transparent , my mistake 
So there's really black in the character 
You're not supposed to see the background in the character

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:20:16 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
United States
Alright, cool. I suppose that's true for the spiders, snakes, and skull, right? The Snake already looks like it has three colors (dark green, green, and cyan), but the spider and skull only have two. Like you said, the black was probably transparent for those.

Still very surprised at how the stones are colored, despite only being two colors.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:55:37 PM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Those pictures look really nice.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:04:13 PM
Gamester81 (1)
< Little Mac >
Arizona
Hey Guys, I wanted to let you all know that we are excited to be having Sivak develop and program this game!

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:20:03 PM
Sivak (44)
(Sivak -) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Yep. I've already gotten a core program that loads. Just does the "Sivak Games presents" for now, but I have ideas on how to make a better engine than before.

My website: Here

Battle Kid 2 demo videos: Playlist
Battle Kid demo videos: Playlist

Check out my current: Want list
Check out my current: Extras list

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:28:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Very cool development!

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:09:07 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Well now! Automatically more excited about this project.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:33:35 AM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Looks like another fine NES homebrew is on the way; Sivak's track record speaks for itself. I'll be buying.