Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: R.C. Pro-Am Contest ends Sunday, 3/1/15 at 11 PM NA time

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:05:57 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
Never played this one but I guess I can give it a shot.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:47:22 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
I think luke and arch should both sashay their sweet asses over here and post monster scores this week!

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:18:22 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

guts, you are a better gamer than me - but I probably know a few secrets about this game you haven't discovered yet.
Everybody else always shares (I think it's why Nintendoage as a whole has really good NES players)
...so I'll share some tips too!

1. Until you get to Level 24, try your darnedest NOT to use either the bombs and/or rockets.
R.C. PRO-AM has kind of a "karma system."
This means if you shoot a car with one of these weapons, soon after they'll go psycho and fly around the map at warp speed. They can't fight back, so I guess the developers thought this was a way to make it a bit more balanced?
Every once in a blue moon that bastard peach colored car will go off anyway, but for the most part if you just race, the cars will behave themselves... Until Level 24.
Save every ounce of ammo you can for than 9 lap board. You'll need it to keep those warp-speed cars behind you.
**Edit: Also, feel free to smash them to hell when you are invincible. That does not effect them. - Just DON'T SHOOT!

2. There are only 24 "unique" tracks in the game. I put "unique" in quotations because most of the tracks are just slight variations with hazards changed around. The truly unique tracks are #8, #16, & #24. Other than that, the track will be one of the 5(?) variants. The game loops back to Track #1 again after you beat #24. 

3. Whacking the side of the course will not damage you, but it will slow you down considerably. Try to find the racing line the developers had in mind for each track and do your best to avoid whacking the grassy areas. It makes a HUGE difference in some races.

4. (Especially at higher levels) grab as many of those white roll cages as you can. Early - and - Often. The last thing you want is an invincible car racing you neck and neck on the last lap, only to crash you and instead of first, you're out.

5. Some notes on points... "NINTENDO" letters net you 40,000 points when you finish a race top 3 with all the letters. Roll cages are 200 points, 1 ammo is 100 points, finishing in 1st place nets you 2000 points. Even driving over the red arrows nets you a small amount of points. Of course upgrades, ammo caches, and even just making progress on the track all get you points too.

6. Lastly, if you see the race has only 2 Laps, put your "survival hat" on. 1 mistake in a short race like this and you're toast. Level 18 gets my vote for toughest of the 2-Lap races.

The Santa strategy guides are almost as good as the Santa news updates. They're like the CliffsNotes version of GameFAQs. Great stuff!

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:30:49 PM
tyrantrum85 (4)
< Little Mac >
Ohio
Score of 72965

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:33:21 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: gutsman004

These 200k+ scores are unfathomable to me. I really want to like this game,I really,really,do....but this games makes me want to punch the programmers in the face.

Basically, it is CRUCIAL to pick up 100% of the letters and all of the car part upgrades.

If you miss a letter, even once, you're probably not going to break into that score range.

Also, during last year's tournament, I think we determined that how frequently you kill the other cars causes them to become faster and more agressive.

You need to be as pacifist as possible and win almost purely on driving skill. (with an upgraded car, of course)

If you can beat the final stage of the game loop (the LOOONG track), you will get into the mid-200's.

Edited: 02/23/2015 at 02:09 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:57:06 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

I think luke and arch should both sashay their sweet asses over here and post monster scores this week!

Ha!  Considered it, but I don't want to break my "take a season off" streak like I did last time...  

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:02:35 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

These 200k+ scores are unfathomable to me. I really want to like this game,I really,really,do....but this games makes me want to punch the programmers in the face.

Basically, it is CRUCIAL to pick up 100% of the letters and all of the car part upgrades.

If you miss a letter, even once, you're probably not going to break into that score range.

Also, during last year's tournament, I think we determined that how frequently you kill the other cars causes them to become faster and more agressive.

You need to be as pacifist as possible and win almost purely on driving skill. (with an upgraded car, of course)

If you can beat the final stage of the game loop (the LOOONG track), you will get into the 300k's.

Nathan,

Last night, i grabbed every letter, I got (almost) every pick-up, won every race (except 2) and looped the game to Level 32.
The score I ended with was 280,000 + change.

Im wondering if I am missing some other scoring method here...

...perhaps there is a point bonus while you are leading the race?
I know the points tick up as you drive - but do they tick up faster if you are leading the race?

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 02/23/2015 at 02:03 PM by Commander Santa

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:09:13 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

If you can beat the final stage of the game loop (the LOOONG track), you will get into the 300k's.

Nathan,

Last night, i grabbed every letter, I got (almost) every pick-up, won every race (except 2) and looped the game to Level 32.
The score I ended with was 280,000 + change.

Im wondering if I am missing some other scoring method here...

...perhaps there is a point bonus while you are leading the race?
I know the points tick up as you drive - but do they tick up faster if you are leading the race?

Error on my part.  I should have looked back at my ACTUAL scores from last year.

280k is a really good score.

Caleb snagged 340k or 380k (something in that range) last year, and i think that involved making it well into the 2nd loop, or possibly into the 3rd, I guess.

I'll fix my other post.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:40:13 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
So I'm off today due to the weather and because of this I've played several games with not much success. I still just don't get this game.

Santa,I know you talked about the optimal track line,but it still seems like even if I'm following it I still come up short sometimes. Like I said before,having to try to snag the upgrades while racing is extremely aggravating. I've also had a few runs where I was leading the entire race and on the final stretch of a lap I hit the edge or get crushed taking a corner by a car with the rollbar powerup so I immediately go from first to game over. Also extremely aggravating.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:44:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

So I'm off today due to the weather and because of this I've played several games with not much success. I still just don't get this game.

Santa,I know you talked about the optimal track line,but it still seems like even if I'm following it I still come up short sometimes. Like I said before,having to try to snag the upgrades while racing is extremely aggravating. I've also had a few runs where I was leading the entire race and on the final stretch of a lap I hit the edge or get crushed taking a corner by a car with the rollbar powerup so I immediately go from first to game over. Also extremely aggravating.

This is one where it is worth looking at the track maps online to plan your route (or make your own maps if that idea is offensive), because getting everything on the first pass makes a BIG DIFFERENCE versus grabbing the same items on later laps. (and this includes making a clean sweep of the roll cages to prevent what you're talking about)

Also, there are only one or two places in the game where I'm willing to get stuck with bombs instead of rockets.
Rockets are ALWAYS more functional, IMO, since bombs are incapable of putting you back in the lead if you get behind and you shouldn't be killing your karma-gauge by killing cars behind you anyway.

Edited: 02/23/2015 at 02:44 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:04:58 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
To really be elite (rdrunneresque) you need to know how to master the bombs, because in later levels you have no chance of catching anyone if they get ahead of you.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:12:55 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: doner24

To really be elite (rdrunneresque) you need to know how to master the bombs, because in later levels you have no chance of catching anyone if they get ahead of you.
That may be true late-game, but the first loop there aren't many situations where you are better off with bombs.

I mean, if you can make sure you're able to be lined up to bomb the asshole behind you, you should be able to snag them with a rocket on their way by with a single clean shot.  (I tend to get lined up like you're going to bomb and if they run me over to pass they get nuked with a rocket)

Unless you're talking about just laying a sporadic minefield to kill stuff you can't even see.

That said, I never broke into the 300's on this one, since I tended to shoot too many opponents too frequently, making it REALLY hard to proceed very far in the 2nd loop.

Caleb (at least I think it was Caleb47) got a score in the mid-to-upper 300's that beat Tom's 330k score from a couple of years ago, so I'd be interested to hear how far he went to do that and his weapon preferences.

That said, the top two TG scores on this one are 563k and 1MM... makes me wonder how many laps through the game that involves  (unless he's practiced some more on this one, Tom's score, while respectable, is nowhere near the stratosphere of what can be done on this game)

Edited: 02/23/2015 at 03:24 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:19:33 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
I was able to get to around level 35 with that score but like Commander Santa mentioned, as tempting as it is, don't start really using your weapons until after level 20. After the first loop at 24, I preferred to use bombs for some of the longer tracks but the short tracks switch over to missles. The bombs have a little bit more blast radius and with timing I find alittle more effective later on (they are slower to fire but I prefer them). Grab the stars laying around (each 100 and make sure to hit those red arrows since they add alittle pt boost as well. I can't remember which track but there's one in the later levels that requires a spin out around a turn on the oil to get by and not lose alot of speed. Try to avoid hitting the left and right d pad alot (esp with low traction tires), just use the natural curves of the turns.
That rubber band effect car usually follows the same path (with slight changes left or right) so just time it and try to keep it behind you. Even if you don't finish 1st, at least later on try to finish 2nd.
This may not help anyone but alot of really good points have been made and I would just be repeating them (thanks Commander and Arch!)
I've been able to loop twice in the past so I'm going to try to accomplish it this week. Good Luck everyone and hope some of you can improve your score at least!

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:54:36 PM
floydfan38 (20)

(Jason Bump) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Throwing my hat Into this......not the best but it could have been worse

Edited: 02/23/2015 at 04:57 PM by floydfan38

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:27:32 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I hate the genie's lamp shaped track. I always struggle with it. Any pointers for that specific track?

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:50:14 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California

Here's my first attempt!  Not sure how many more I have in me.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:12:22 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I wanted to share a story about my fond memories of RC Pro Am. Looking back at when this was released it must have been in the spring of 88. i was probably in 6th or 7th grade. I had a deluxe set i had gotten for christmas a year or 2 earlier. Growing up there wasnt alot of disposable income in my home. my mom worked hard to provide for me and my sister but christmas time was always good for a couple of new games, but during the year to ask for a new game was something that would never happen. I remember wanting this game alot, not sure if i saw it in nintendo power or on tv but i decided to ask my mom if we could go get this game that i really wanted. looking back now it must have been tax time because to my surprise my mom agreed and took me to get this cart. I have always had a copy of rc pro am in my collection ever since. played this game for hours on end back in the day and ironicly I got about as far then as i did now. but i always liked this game alot. I never had a problem with the isometric view it just came naturally to steer the car in the right direction but i always liked to play with rc cars back in the day. watching people pick up this game and drive into the wall was always funny to me. Just wanted to share a good childhood memory of playing this game.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:28:22 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Score: 88,498

Had to hurry up and get a score in so I can at least see myself in the top 10 for once!

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:01:57 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Edited: 03/01/2015 at 10:33 PM by BriGuy82

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:08:59 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: TWarwick07

I wanted to share a story about my fond memories of RC Pro Am. Looking back at when this was released it must have been in the spring of 88. i was probably in 6th or 7th grade. I had a deluxe set i had gotten for christmas a year or 2 earlier. Growing up there wasnt alot of disposable income in my home. my mom worked hard to provide for me and my sister but christmas time was always good for a couple of new games, but during the year to ask for a new game was something that would never happen. I remember wanting this game alot, not sure if i saw it in nintendo power or on tv but i decided to ask my mom if we could go get this game that i really wanted. looking back now it must have been tax time because to my surprise my mom agreed and took me to get this cart. I have always had a copy of rc pro am in my collection ever since. played this game for hours on end back in the day and ironicly I got about as far then as i did now. but i always liked this game alot. I never had a problem with the isometric view it just came naturally to steer the car in the right direction but i always liked to play with rc cars back in the day. watching people pick up this game and drive into the wall was always funny to me. Just wanted to share a good childhood memory of playing this game.

Man that's a great story! I remember playing this game as a kid and not being very good at it although my best friend could kick butt. It used to wow mewhen he got the sports car as I thought it looked cool and I could never get that far myself. Still can't,but I'm working on it. Although I've been railing on this game a bit,I do actually like it....it's just so frustrating and unforgiving at times. And cheap.

Also,anyone else notice that the other cars seem to hit the speed strips most of the time? And if they don't and you do,all of a sudden they do too.

Edited: 02/23/2015 at 09:10 PM by gutsman004

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:13:15 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

Man that's a great story! I remember playing this game as a kid and not being very good at it although my best friend could kick butt. It used to wow mewhen he got the sports car as I thought it looked cool and I could never get that far myself. Still can't,but I'm working on it. Although I've been railing on this game a bit,I do actually like it....it's just so frustrating and unforgiving at times. And cheap. Also,anyone else notice that the other cars seem to hit the speed strips most of the time? And if they don't and you do,all of a sudden they do too.
i always liked driving the pickup truck the best, the second car is good, that third car is just too quick for me

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:53:25 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York

This was a great story!

It was rare occasions like this from childhood - when a parent would say "yes." Like once out of a thousand times and your kid self just stands there in disbelief for a second or two.

I was just picturing a young Tom standing there thinking to himself "Holy Shit" in a Wonder Years voice when Mom said yes.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:12:02 AM
floydfan38 (20)

(Jason Bump) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Second attempt

Edited: 02/24/2015 at 12:13 AM by floydfan38

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:14:29 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Level 19 is ridiculous. Oil slick level 9000.

Edited: 02/24/2015 at 02:40 AM by gutsman004

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:51:16 AM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

Updated score 2/28/15 - soooooo close.......!!!

Throwing my hat into the ring. Participation!  Also, I _fully_ agree with you, neodolphino. Looking to see my name in the top 10, even if for a brief moment lol!

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Edited: 03/01/2015 at 02:27 AM by ninjistar