Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What are the best NES Homebrews?

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:35:24 PM
NESgopher (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Interested in NES homebrews but not too sure what to play/buy. Any suggestions?  

-------------------------
Got chubby cherub :D

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:37:27 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
All of them

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:06:11 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
What types of games do you like to play?

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:41:16 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I heard final fantasy 7 and legend of link are good. So is adventure island 4, final fantasy 2 and gradius 2.

jk

Sneek n peek is the best by far. 

the incident, nomalos, legend of owlia, tailgate party, swords and runes, battle kid

there are a ton of good ones out there

Edited: 11/01/2017 at 03:43 PM by MrWunderful

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:44:52 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I have Final Fantasy VII. I'm not sure if I'd call it the "best". It's odd. I mean, it looks cool seeing Final Fantasy VII "downgraded" to an 8-bit look and the couple of hours I put into it played fine without glitches. However, don't expect anything close to the same gameplay mechanic. It's a very, VERY basic RPG with the story of Final Fantasy VII.

It's a fun novelty, but IMHO, not much more than that.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:52:05 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I have so many Homebrew games I havent even played yet.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:53:13 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Blade Buster for shooters

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:09:20 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
The Battle Kid games are on another level, I love them. Legends of Owlia is another favorite. Legend of Link (mentioned above) makes me want to die with its choppy action, low difficulty, and it just having the Link's Awakening overworld crammed into it with every hole turned into a shop, but people seem to be wowed by how impressive it is technically. It might play better in an emulator than on hardware.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 11/01/2017 at 04:10 PM by DefaultGen

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:11:06 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
LOTS of great games! Such as Zelda Outlands

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:14:07 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
If you are into fun multiplayer games, Tailgate Party by Orab Games reigns supreme!

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:18:23 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: avatar!

Which isn't really a homebrew btw.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:26:01 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: AaronE

Originally posted by: avatar!

Which isn't really a homebrew btw.

yeah wunderful wrote a few then a jk (whew). 

homebrew is new NES IP and I suggest: the incident, tailgate party, UXO... or wait until Rekt and freecell come out and pick those up.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:34:30 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Oops, good point. Outlands is technically a "hack", although a great game no matter what you call it  

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:58:46 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Has anyone played Star Versus? Don't see many mentions about it on the 'net but it looks awesome. Ordered a copy yesterday; can't wait to play.

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:05:22 PM
Camoran (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Iceland
Haunted halloween, eskimo bob, the incident plus others that have been mentioned. Many good homebrews out there

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:25:42 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: romevi

Has anyone played Star Versus? Don't see many mentions about it on the 'net but it looks awesome. Ordered a copy yesterday; can't wait to play.

Its decent. I dont care for the tank controls, but thats a personal pet peeve of mine. 

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:25:44 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
LLLFLL! Lol.  

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:10:34 PM
R.O.B. 2084 (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Haunted Halloween '85 and '86 are both great homebrews.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:20:44 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
These! http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

There are a ton of great ones.  You can check out some free ones on http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.com  Some of these are also still available on cartridge and the latest cartridge is approaching release as well.

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:19:04 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Its decent. I dont care for the tank controls, but thats a personal pet peeve of mine. 

star versus is amazing - but RTFM. so much going on there it's quick to dismiss as- well, it's genre bending to say the least. pvp fighting game, but with spaceships. mortal spacecraft? spacefighter? i donno. solo play is decent but a deep dive into vs play is a great way to kick off a night of nes gaming. yr in for a treat!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:39:28 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Super Mario Bros. 3mix was pretty fantastic.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:46:30 PM
ugopoopy (30)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
The only one you need. 

My NES collection
Working toward a complete set. 
WTB/TF any and all games I don't have. 
FT/FO thread
WTB/TF for Sega Saturn games

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:12:25 AM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
A lot of them have playable demos... try them out on an emulator and buy the ones that you dig.

I have Haunted Halloween 85, 86, and The Incident, and they were all great! I plan to get more soon.

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:11:15 PM
OhMYGoodNES (3)

< Little Mac >

Yes I'm surprise that nonody talk much about Star Versus. I ordered it like 6 months ago +++ I like it very much. The music and the graphics are to me, excellent and the gameplay is fun it's a bit like Asteroid if the actual asteroids would chase you and shoot at you.

The game is hard ! Cannot pass the 5th stage ! The highlight of this game is the control. That the most complex control I have seen on the NES. The learning curve is pretty high for me. There's s lot to think and to coordonate but once you master it I'm sure you can own the game. I did not play the 2P mode which I think it's another highlight. I would e-sport this!

The simplicity of the game might be a downside for some as it's not like an extraordinary adventure, but everytime I pass a stage it's very rewarding as I often game over on the 3th or 4th. One of my top 20-25 Homebrew out there ! (Not official list done yet)

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:44:06 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: OhMYGoodNES

Yes I'm surprise that nonody talk much about Star Versus. I ordered it like 6 months ago +++ I like it very much. The music and the graphics are to me, excellent and the gameplay is fun it's a bit like Asteroid if the actual asteroids would chase you and shoot at you.

The game is hard ! Cannot pass the 5th stage ! The highlight of this game is the control. That the most complex control I have seen on the NES. The learning curve is pretty high for me. There's s lot to think and to coordonate but once you master it I'm sure you can own the game. I did not play the 2P mode which I think it's another highlight. I would e-sport this!

The simplicity of the game might be a downside for some as it's not like an extraordinary adventure, but everytime I pass a stage it's very rewarding as I often game over on the 3th or 4th. One of my top 20-25 Homebrew out there ! (Not official list done yet)

The music is awesome, but man the controls are tough. Wish there was a demo. Haven't touched the game since the first time I played, but once I get through Mother 1 I'm going to check it out again.

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates