Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

$1,000,000 collection amassed

Oct 18 at 2:44:19 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Tim Atwood looking real smart right now.

Oct 18 at 2:45:55 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: RalliArtEvo

"Holy grail" is possibly one of the stupidest terms in game collecting. In fact, everything about that article makes my skin crawl. How is this dude "one of the worlds most avid game collectors"? Just because he decided baseball cards were too expensive so he jumped over to games and dropped a million dollars with a group of investors?

Also, LMAO at asking John Riggs or Metal Jesus to give their input. 
Two things:

1.  I totally agree with you on the holy grail issue.  I had someone try to convince me, just the other day, that Burning Rangers for Sega Saturn was a holy grail.

2.  I think this one guy, the dentist, dropped 1 million by himself.  There is a group of collectors/investors that went in to buy some "famous" lot of games originally, and this group is now starting to sell them.

-------------------------
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 02:46 PM by tbone3969

Oct 18 at 2:46:07 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Originally posted by: tbone3969

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Originally posted by: 3rdstrongestmole

Why does this article piss me off so much!? Can't put my finger on it
Let me tell you a story of my group of highschool friends who started colleting games over 20 years ago.  One of them played games a little but never really collected.  Fast forward 20 years and most of my friends had very nice retro collections.  We had spent years hunting down deals, hunting for the thrift store finds, and wheeling and dealing on eBay.  The one who never really collected didn't have much of a collection but he had a better career than all of us and was getting promotions left and right.  One day he invites us over and he has a HUGE collection of retro games and systems.  He went out and bought a couple of very expensive and big lots.  I persoanlly didn't care but it did rub some of my friends the wrong way.  To them he wasn't a "true" collector as he didn't work for his collection or have the same connection with the games.

Is your friend a dentist? 

LMAO, no.  He is an accountant and now he is also a CFO.

Eh, can't blame the accountant friend. Most everyone else would do the same thing if they had that cash to burn.

If he's just collecting for his own enjoyment, I don't see anything wrong. To me that's separate from people who deliberately speculate on the market in an effort to boost their own investment.

Yeah but who is to say this dentist isn't an old school collector and just wanted those super high grade games in his collection.  We are only speculating he is doing this for profit.  What if he keeps them the rest of his life and then gives them to his kids.  Who knows...

Because it looks like he SPECIFICALLY bought the type of games that are getting hype from newbies. 
There is no question this was a speculative buy. None. This was not an instant collection purchase. It was an investment/speculation purchase. 

Oct 18 at 2:50:12 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

I wasted my life not becoming a dentist
Getting your fingers bit and having to deal with halitosis on steroids?  

Oct 18 at 2:51:55 PM
RalliArtEvo (20)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio

"Holy grail" is possibly one of the stupidest terms in game collecting. In fact, everything about that article makes my skin crawl. How is this dude "one of the worlds most avid game collectors"? Just because he decided baseball cards were too expensive so he jumped over to games and dropped a million dollars with a group of investors?

Two things:

1.  I totally agree with you on the holy grail issue.  I had someone try to convince me, just the other day, that Burning Rangers for Sega Saturn was a holy grail.

2.  I think this one guy, the dentist, dropped 1 million by himself.  There is a group of collectors/investors that went in to buy some "famous" lot of games originally, and this group is now starting to sell them.

That's not the way I read it.

"With the additions from Denver, Naierman and a small group of partners called the Video Game Club obtained sticker-sealed, black-box copies of Nintendo Entertainment System games"

Oct 18 at 2:54:00 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: 3rdstrongestmole

Why does this article piss me off so much!? Can't put my finger on it
Let me tell you a story of my group of highschool friends who started colleting games over 20 years ago.  One of them played games a little but never really collected.  Fast forward 20 years and most of my friends had very nice retro collections.  We had spent years hunting down deals, hunting for the thrift store finds, and wheeling and dealing on eBay.  The one who never really collected didn't have much of a collection but he had a better career than all of us and was getting promotions left and right.  One day he invites us over and he has a HUGE collection of retro games and systems.  He went out and bought a couple of very expensive and big lots.  I persoanlly didn't care but it did rub some of my friends the wrong way.  To them he wasn't a "true" collector as he didn't work for his collection or have the same connection with the games.

Is your friend a dentist? 

LMAO, no.  He is an accountant and now he is also a CFO.

Eh, can't blame the accountant friend. Most everyone else would do the same thing if they had that cash to burn.

If he's just collecting for his own enjoyment, I don't see anything wrong. To me that's separate from people who deliberately speculate on the market in an effort to boost their own investment.

Yeah but who is to say this dentist isn't an old school collector and just wanted those super high grade games in his collection.  We are only speculating he is doing this for profit.  What if he keeps them the rest of his life and then gives them to his kids.  Who knows...

Because it looks like he SPECIFICALLY bought the type of games that are getting hype from newbies. 
There is no question this was a speculative buy. None. This was not an instant collection purchase. It was an investment/speculation purchase. 

As I said, it takes money to make money.  But if you have that much money to drop on something like this, do you REALLY need anything extra?  I bet its just a bonus 'if it happens it happens but I can eat the MILLION loss, instead of yknow, buying real estate or something'.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 18 at 2:56:28 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

Two things:

That's not the way I read it.

"With the additions from Denver, Naierman and a small group of partners called the Video Game Club obtained sticker-sealed, black-box copies of Nintendo Entertainment System games"
I stand corrected.  Thank you.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 02:56 PM by tbone3969

Oct 18 at 2:59:16 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I remember a time when most high end items traded privately. Now everyone wants the sales price documented so they can lure more unsuspecting speculators into the market to continue the Ponzi scheme. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this?

100k mario, article.
Someone spending 500k in video games, article.
1 million on games, article.
Go collect buying Dains collection and now dumping the vast majority on HA... creating public sales prices. We'll get an article too, dont worry.

It's literally a Ponzi scheme at this point. How many people can you try and recruit to the hobby....

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 02:59 PM by jonebone

Oct 18 at 3:01:41 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
I seriously don't understand how Castlevania wasn't mentioned. That was the gem of the lot IMO. Oddly it wasn't the the nicest one available tho. IMO that was a huge missed opportunity for the VGC. They should have bought both sealed HT CV's available, or at least the nicest one.

Also, is it too soon to call them the VGC??

Oct 18 at 3:06:53 PM
RalliArtEvo (20)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Originally posted by: jonebone

I remember a time when most high end items traded privately. Now everyone wants the sales price documented so they can lure more unsuspecting speculators into the market to continue the Ponzi scheme. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this?

100k mario, article.
Go collect buying Dains collection and now dumping the vast majority on HA... creating public sales prices. We'll get an article too, dont worry.

It's literally a Ponzi scheme at this point. How many people can you try and recruit to the hobby....

I had very similar thoughts as you. Another trend I've noticed is WATA games and Heritage Auctions are always interviewed in these same articles. 

Oct 18 at 3:09:24 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

100k mario, article.

I had very similar thoughts as you. Another trend I've noticed is WATA games and Heritage Auctions are always interviewed in these same articles. 
Well that’s prob because VGA doesn’t know a thing about video games. 

Oct 18 at 3:14:02 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
It's literally not a Ponzi scheme.

A Ponzi scheme uses non-existent investments and fake returns to generate money via new investors. Rinse and repeat. No investment actually ever exists. If you want to make the argument for market manipulation I’d suggest that instead. 

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 03:21 PM by MinusWorlds

Oct 18 at 3:16:48 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Apparently my fiancee got this news from a co-worker (neither of whom play games) before I even heard it here. Nuts.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Oct 18 at 3:24:21 PM
RalliArtEvo (20)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio

100k mario, article.

I agree. There's just something about the Heritage people speaking with authority that rubs me the wrong way. 

Oct 18 at 3:26:50 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

100k mario, article.

I agree. There's just something about the Heritage people speaking with authority that rubs me the wrong way. 
I really like the Heritage folks but your point is extremely valid. 

Oct 18 at 3:31:29 PM
Rigaman (27)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
He is literally trying to influence the market and hype up his stuff so it gains value. It's a PR stunt.

Not much different than the whole story of the sale of a Mario for 100k that was created by the people who bought the Mario..

Oct 18 at 3:34:04 PM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >

100k mario, article.

It’s hype activity at its peak relating to retro games. It seems more like an accidental pyramid scheme, in that the early buyers are making profit off the next one in the chain, and the need to hype and promote their items.

My main concern is that the truth might be twisted and the values we’re reading from these articles aren’t necessarily absolute values of purchase. 

For example, $100,000 for games X, Y and Z. With bonus items like posters, merchandise, a kiosk etc. But all we are seeing is just the total price and only the games. So on a technical level, games X, Y and Z might be worth $90,000 to $95,000 of actual sales. 

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 03:36 PM by GPX

Oct 18 at 3:35:59 PM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
(Julien ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec

Oct 18 at 3:40:26 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: GPX

100k mario, article.

It’s hype activity at its peak relating to retro games. It seems more like an accidental pyramid scheme, in that the early buyers are making profit off the next one in the chain, and the need to hype and promote their items.

My main concern is that the truth might be twisted and the values we’re reading from these articles aren’t necessarily absolute values of purchase. 

For example, $100,000 for games X, Y and Z. With bonus items like posters, merchandise, a kiosk etc. But all we are seeing is just the total price and only the games. So on a technical level, games X, Y and Z might be worth $90,000 to $95,000 of actual sales. 

I can say that that’s not the case. The prices you are seeing and hearing about are very real. And it’s for only the games. 

Oct 18 at 3:41:00 PM
Rigaman (27)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: WhyNotZoidberg

His Instagram is Vvgclub.

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 04:00 PM by Rigaman

Oct 18 at 3:43:12 PM
Collectorwanabe (10)
(The Dentist ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Nevada
Originally posted by: VelvetElf

should have been a dentist......

I am a Dentist. I can tell you most Dentist I know do not have that much money to spend on a hobby.

Oct 18 at 3:44:02 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
I always kind of find these things amusing....Its kind of like "I paid this much so therefor its worth this much". But is it? Something is only worth as much as the market as a whole decides it is. Time will tell if these "investments" pay off or not. Personally I couldn't care one way or the other. I just don't get why suddenly people are thinking its going to go up / stay up, its 110% speculation.

Every time something pops up its like "only one of 5 known" or some crap, but where are they drawing those numbers from. The hobby (especially in this sense) is still young. While they are careful to use wording that is technically true (known copies, etc) it holds 0 weight, especially this early in the game. Every person making these big buys wants it known, they want to inflate the market up and cash out.

If they didn't care about them a year ago why are they suddenly going to care 10-15 years from now?

And I still stick with my opinion that the 100K purchase of mario bros previously was purely to "boost the market", WATA and HA are both making a killing right now im sure, and part of that is probably due to all the hype train on sealed games. Does anyone honestly believe that WATA / HA would be doing as well as they are right now if they never made that purchase / hyped it up ?

Oct 18 at 3:48:28 PM
snk2d4ever (70)
(Chris M) < Crack Trooper >
Indiana
What's the membership fee to join the VGC and where do I sign up?

Oct 18 at 3:50:05 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

It's literally not a Ponzi scheme.

A Ponzi scheme uses non-existent investments and fake returns to generate money via new investors. Rinse and repeat. No investment actually ever exists. If you want to make the argument for market manipulation I’d suggest that instead. 

Pump and dump baby!

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 04:18 PM by tbone3969

Oct 18 at 3:53:36 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: snk2d4ever

What's the membership fee to join the VGC and where do I sign up?
I don't know what VGC is but it sounds cool.  Can I join?