Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

.NES Code Viewer Does this exist?

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:08:13 PM
Exxterminate (0)

(Brittany Kastan) < Cherub >
United States
Is there any way at all to view the coding of a .nes file?  I've read that the licensed games are fairly locked up but what about custom ones?  

*Be patient with me, I'm only a Chem E.  My programming knowledge stops after basic C and MatLab haha*

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:15:53 PM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
You can use FCEUX's debugger, that's one possibility. No .nes file I've ever heard of is "locked up." Any emulator that has a debugging feature makes it pretty easy to see the code in a game. To actually read and understand it takes a lot of work if there is no source code available. For my homebrew titles, I always have the source code available and can tell emulators to actually insert my labels/comments amongst the 6502 instructions and data for easy debugging. But for any old .nes file, be prepared for an adventure.

-------------------------
Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 02/12/2013 at 08:16 PM by GradualGames

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:14:02 PM
vladictivo (112)
(Vladi ) < Lolo Lord >
Mexico
Originally posted by: Exxterminate

Is there any way at all to view the coding of a .nes file?  I've read that the licensed games are fairly locked up but what about custom ones?  

*Be patient with me, I'm only a Chem E.  My programming knowledge stops after basic C and MatLab haha*

Welcome to the forum colleague!

-------------------------
  Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com