Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Rad Racer Contest ends Sunday, 3/27/16 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:14:46 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I am awful at this game, never owned it or played it as a kid. Haven't even beat the first track yet for participation. 

I am am however still in @richardhead's home while he's away and with @jamesrobot at home watching his new baby there is only mischief to be had in casa de head. 

-------------------------

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Edited: 03/21/2016 at 09:03 PM by SuperJimtendo

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:42:30 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

Just chiming in b-d. I'm interested in the bye-week optional game, for sure. Let's keep it rolling, yo.

I'll probably have some more info posted in the next day or two. I've already got a game in mind, but if anyone has any suggestions, send me a PM since nothing is set in stone since it will just be something casual for anyone that chooses to play along instead of taking the bye week off.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:18:23 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri

Took a few more stabs at it, keep getting stuck near the end of race #4.  My hands are done!

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Edited: 03/22/2016 at 09:07 PM by xtremegamer

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:28:08 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

I forgot how great this game is. It's actually fairly realistic racing for an 8 bit game. Some of my favorites.

Of course it is you door knob!

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:30:13 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

I am awful at this game, never owned it or played it as a kid. Haven't even beat the first track yet for participation. 

I am am however still in @richardhead's home while he's away and with @jamesrobot at home watching his new baby there is only mischief to be had in casa de head. 

Damn you people ! I will crush both of you chumps!

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:12:35 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Fuck me. I didn't realize you had to be quick with your pic. 16,000 was by far the best I've done. I cleared the 1st race with 2 secs to spare, with only 1 crash. So either this game is hard, or I'm just really terrible at this

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:50:30 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Ha, pretty paltry score, but who knows if I'll gain any kind of traction here, so I'll go ahead and post ye olde participation score.

Hey! What's going on here ladders? That is clearly a 1943 cart in your NES! 

Ha, the jig is up! Not really . I'm playing Rad Racer with my Everdrive (don't have the cart, unfortunately!) in the AV Famicom to the left of the NES. I can understand the confusion. Visual dissonance there. 

Will a famicom 101 play NES games via pin converters? In order to play NES games in a Toploaders through a/v cables and  without the jailbars. I don't want to mod my toploader 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:13:55 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Will a famicom 101 play NES games via pin converters? In order to play NES games in a Toploaders through a/v cables and  without the jailbars. I don't want to mod my toploader 

I don't personally have one (I've got an AV modded top loader), but I'm pretty sure that you can play NES games on an AV Famicom with a 72 pin to 60 pin converter like this one: http://store.retrofixes.com/produ...

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:25:58 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I did a little trial run and I managed to (barely) clear the first two courses. I think I could get the hang of this.

I noticed that if you let the attract mode run for awhile, it eventually shows the high score at the bottom briefly. Would that be an acceptable place to snap a picture if I miss it the first time? That might be a good way to help grab a picture after you beat the game if it brings you back to the title screen.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:05:40 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Fuck me. I didn't realize you had to be quick with your pic. 16,000 was by far the best I've done. I cleared the 1st race with 2 secs to spare, with only 1 crash. So either this game is hard, or I'm just really terrible at this

Heh, I was fully expecting you to post a huge score a few hours after posting that you'd never played this before.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:11:14 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Heh, I was fully expecting you to post a huge score a few hours after posting that you'd never played this before.

I want to use the excuse that I've been quite sick since Sunday, but the reality is I'm just horrible

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 03/22/2016 at 01:11 PM by Brock Landers

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:17:26 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I did a little trial run and I managed to (barely) clear the first two courses. I think I could get the hang of this.

I noticed that if you let the attract mode run for awhile, it eventually shows the high score at the bottom briefly. Would that be an acceptable place to snap a picture if I miss it the first time? That might be a good way to help grab a picture after you beat the game if it brings you back to the title screen.

You can't get back to the attract mode from the ending. Once "The End" comes up, it just stays there. There would be a potential issue with taking the picture on the attract mode screen due to a glitch that I came across last night. The safest bet is still to pause the game while you have at least 1 second left and taking it there and keeping your camera ready to get another one when the game over screen comes up.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:35:36 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

You can't get back to the attract mode from the ending. Once "The End" comes up, it just stays there. There would be a potential issue with taking the picture on the attract mode screen due to a glitch that I came across last night. The safest bet is still to pause the game while you have at least 1 second left and taking it there and keeping your camera ready to get another one when the game over screen comes up.

Good info ... I didn't know what happens when you beat the game.  Best to stick to the current method of score capturing for all cases!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:47:18 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Good info ... I didn't know what happens when you beat the game.  Best to stick to the current method of score capturing for all cases!

Yeah, I did the write up on the section of the rules regarding beating the game. It's basically like TMNT 3 where you only get about a second or two to get a picture of your final score before the ending starts. It's also important to note that you can't pause the game after the clock hits 0, so if you happen to roll across the finish line of the last track you won't have any chance to pause the game. That applies to each track, so if you hit 1 second on the clock and aren't near a checkpoint, you might want to pause it and get your camera ready since the game over screen only stays up for about 5 seconds.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:21:52 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

Glitch?  Shoot.  The only pic I have from my highest score is from the attract mode screen.  I thought that because I didn't beat the game, I would have time to get my phone out.  I was wrong.  Will that not count?

Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:36:09 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: smick

Glitch?  Shoot.  The only pic I have from my highest score is from the attract mode screen.  I thought that because I didn't beat the game, I would have time to get my phone out.  I was wrong.  Will that not count?

Due to the nature of the scoring glitch, it would be best to take your picture on the game over screen so that we can see what track you were on.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:47:29 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

Due to the nature of the scoring glitch, it would be best to take your picture on the game over screen so that we can see what track you were on.
OK.  Hopefully, I'll be able to improve on my score, making this discussion irrelevant, but the attract screen does show that I was on the 6th track - the one with snow.  Is the issue that the high score isn't necessarily the score from a game that ends on the track shown? 

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:11:41 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

OK.  Hopefully, I'll be able to improve on my score, making this discussion irrelevant, but the attract screen does show that I was on the 6th track - the one with snow.  Is the issue that the high score isn't necessarily the score from a game that ends on the track shown? 

Basically yes. If you post your picture on the attract screen of Snow White Line, I should be able to approve it as long as the score matches up.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:41:12 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
What about playing on an emulator and pausing the emulator at the game over screen to take a pic?

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:02:50 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

What about playing on an emulator and pausing the emulator at the game over screen to take a pic?

Normally anything on an emulator that gives you an advantage over playing on a console would be forbidden, but using the pause feature to capture your score would likely be okay.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:28:43 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

Edited: 03/27/2016 at 07:38 PM by smick

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:03:21 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Normally anything on an emulator that gives you an advantage over playing on a console would be forbidden, but using the pause feature to capture your score would likely be okay.

Using a pause feature like this on an emulator would be okay only to take a picture of the score.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:16:29 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I took another run at it today and crashed out in the 5th race.  Went again and crashed out in the 4th.  I need to take a break and come back to it later.  I'm hoping to get a better score before my kids are off for Easter vacation. 

Your score is within the normal range for track 6 so I don't see any issue with it. It's important that all future score pictures are taken on the map screen since it shows exactly how far each player made it through the level before getting a game over.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:37:30 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas

It's important that all future score pictures are taken on the map screen since it shows exactly how far each player made it through the level before getting a game over.

That shit is hard to do. Forgot to get my controller in there, barely got my pic.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Edited: 03/22/2016 at 07:37 PM by Ferris Bueller

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:13:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Definitely not anywhere near Doug's first attempt,but it's not bad for mine. I seriously have not played this since the last time we played this,in.....2013? 2014?

Edited: 03/22/2016 at 08:14 PM by gutsman004