Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew SGP's Halloween vol. I: Spook-o'-tron Check your KS inbox if you have not received your copy

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:42:57 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Woo!!!!! I'll be backing shortly!

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:12:18 PM
Brummy (62)
< Crack Trooper >
Looks great - Project Backed. And Good luck.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:54:21 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
This deserved its own thread.

I backed!

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:12:21 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Awesome! Congrats Sole Goose! Will be backing this project, much deserved my friend!

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:38:23 AM
M-Tee (27)
(M Tee) < Eggplant Wizard >
Will definitely back. Love that sprite art so much. What is a mini-box, by the way? Is it a standard size most know of, a custom size you're producing, or something else?

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:53:51 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: M-Tee

Will definitely back. Love that sprite art so much. What is a mini-box, by the way? Is it a standard size most know of, a custom size you're producing, or something else?

Mini-box is a PAL-sized box. Test example here, mismatched with an NA and an RE (special thanks to AaronE and KHan Games, for production and layout, respectively):

Stretch goal #1 will be a full-sized NES box (even if I personally like the PAL-size more   ).

My wife did the art in chalk, and KHan converted it to something usable.

Edit: Bah, Chris is responsible for the sprite art, and he is amazing at what he does! Whether it is an innovative platformer (Nebs and Debs), or art for a project like this, he deserves some amazing credit. like you M-tee, he is a master of his craft.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 03/16/2017 at 12:56 AM by SoleGooseProductions

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:59:04 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
"By turning two controllers vertically, players can use the dual d-pads to move independently of the direction in which they are firing projectiles."

I took a brief look at the KS page. Does this game use Robotron style controls, thus the need for two NES controllers or a SNES controller? If so, I am totally on board.  

BTW, I made my own set of SNES<->NES patch cables sometime ago out of a pair of Retrobit extensions. Been looking for an excuse to use them.

EDIT: backed.  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 03/16/2017 at 04:07 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:29:05 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

"By turning two controllers vertically, players can use the dual d-pads to move independently of the direction in which they are firing projectiles."

I took a brief look at the KS page. Does this game use Robotron style controls, thus the need for two NES controllers or a SNES controller? If so, I am totally on board.  

BTW, I made my own set of SNES<->NES patch cables sometime ago out of a pair of Retrobit extensions. Been looking for an excuse to use them.

Yes, thus the ending part of the game name, -tron.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:54:36 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Just to note, I removed SNES support from the demo. I didn't want to confuse people with too many options that they were not likely to use just yet. At one point the list of available controller schemes was dual NES, SNES, VB, PSP, and PC! I'll call it my Goldeneye moment (and who knew you could hold dual controllers in that!).

Anyways, thanks for the support!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:18:59 AM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Rad to see an update, Beau! I'll have to check out the KS on my laptop when I get home. Congrats on the launch!

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:07:58 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Mini-box is a PAL-sized box. Test example here, mismatched with an NA and an RE (special thanks to AaronE and KHan Games, for production and layout, respectively):

Stretch goal #1 will be a full-sized NES box (even if I personally like the PAL-size more   ).

My wife did the art in chalk, and KHan converted it to something usable.

Edit: Bah, Chris is responsible for the sprite art, and he is amazing at what he does! Whether it is an innovative platformer (Nebs and Debs), or art for a project like this, he deserves some amazing credit. like you M-tee, he is a master of his craft.

REALLY like that box art, looks fantastic in the chalk. So how would we go about acquiring a North American sized box for those who prefer it? I am on the fence as to what I'd prefer, but I feel like a different size from the rest of my games would bother me too much

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:27:28 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Bert

REALLY like that box art, looks fantastic in the chalk. So how would we go about acquiring a North American sized box for those who prefer it? I am on the fence as to what I'd prefer, but I feel like a different size from the rest of my games would bother me too much

Since it'll be a stretch goal it'll be an all or none type thing. If I know that I am hitting a certain quantity then I can go through a printer and do North American-sized boxes, otherwise I'll build them all by hand to control costs a bit better. PAL-sized ones work better with my current equipment.

And yeah, she did a really great job with the art for it. I'll have to post some of the in progress ones at some point, as I've saved all of them like a parent saves Kindergarten scribbles  .

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:50:51 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas

Since it'll be a stretch goal it'll be an all or none type thing. If I know that I am hitting a certain quantity then I can go through a printer and do North American-sized boxes, otherwise I'll build them all by hand to control costs a bit better. PAL-sized ones work better with my current equipment.

And yeah, she did a really great job with the art for it. I'll have to post some of the in progress ones at some point, as I've saved all of them like a parent saves Kindergarten scribbles  .

Backed you brother!

FYI, you should offer another tier between the Numbered and the Test to include the SNES Adapter with everything. I would probably upgrade my pledge to get a Numbered one, but I want to play with my SNES controller. Unless that SGP piece for the Virtual Boy also serves as an adapter for the VB Controller? If that's the case then I'll bump up my pledge!

*EDIT* I just read at the bottom about the manual addition. I tried to do manual add-ons with my first campaign and those extra steps can lead to confusion, but it works. However, you can adjust the limited amount of the Numbered to put a few in an adapter tier, and can always adjust it back if none sell... Kickstarter is flexible, but your choice

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Edited: 03/16/2017 at 01:01 PM by thesubcon3

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:05:45 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario

I'm sure I can make piece with the box being a slightly different size  will back soon!

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:09:42 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
Texas

I'm sure I can make piece with the box being a slightly different size  will back soon!

If you use Box Protectors like I do, even a shorter box could fit in that and it would essentially conform to size. The extra space might fit a controller adapter in it too!

www.hagensalley.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:13:57 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: thesubcon3

Backed you brother!

FYI, you should offer another tier between the Numbered and the Test to include the SNES Adapter with everything. I would probably upgrade my pledge to get a Numbered one, but I want to play with my SNES controller. Unless that SGP piece for the Virtual Boy also serves as an adapter for the VB Controller? If that's the case then I'll bump up my pledge!

*EDIT* I just read at the bottom about the manual addition. I tried to do manual add-ons with my first campaign and those extra steps can lead to confusion, but it works. However, you can adjust the limited amount of the Numbered to put a few in an adapter tier, and can always adjust it back if none sell... Kickstarter is flexible, but your choice

Thanks Jeff! Yeah, I went back and forth on that a lot, and could not find a good option for a limited item with an optional add-on. I'll think over the advice, and probalby tweak it some, so I do appreciate it. I'm nothing if not open to other's thoughts on things, particularly when they've gone through the process a few times.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:18:11 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
Texas

Backed you brother!

Thanks Jeff! Yeah, I went back and forth on that a lot, and could not find a good option for a limited item with an optional add-on. I'll think over the advice, and probalby tweak it some, so I do appreciate it. I'm nothing if not open to other's thoughts on things, particularly when they've gone through the process a few times.

Absolutely and limited items can be tricky. A couple of quick adjustments work, but in the end it is all on how you want things to go. You could always just offer it to people with surveys after the fact too, that way you are tracking it in an e-mail, but that doesn't help your Kickstarter goals. Definitely hit me up here, on Kickstarter or via e-mail if you have any questions as I'm more than happy to help and share experiences.

Also, on a side note I take it Memblers isn't doing a VB Controller adapter? That would be amazing!

www.hagensalley.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:23:25 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Also, on a side note I take it Memblers isn't doing a VB Controller adapter? That would be amazing!

I'd have to get the VB connector piece made, as there are not any existing ones without canabalizing VB consoles. I got one from Salvador for experimenting with, last time I was in town, since that was about all that was left of the unit. Unless I find a mountain of dead consoles or get a lot of funding (I'd like to get one made), then the easiest way to make them is to modify controllers.

I'll have controller details in an updated OP in a bit. I had a much longer reply to you but it turned into a new OP so I cut it short and finally going to update it instead.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:31:21 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario

If you use Box Protectors like I do, even a shorter box could fit in that and it would essentially conform to size. The extra space might fit a controller adapter in it too!

ah so the width is the same? thats not bad, also like the idea for the adapter, it gives the double fist doubters an option to play the game a different way. But I kinda like the idea of playing the game as it wouldve been had it been released on the NES back in the day

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:40:02 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
Texas

I'd have to get the VB connector piece made, as there are not any existing ones without canabalizing VB consoles. I got one from Salvador for experimenting with, last time I was in town, since that was about all that was left of the unit. Unless I find a mountain of dead consoles or get a lot of funding (I'd like to get one made), then the easiest way to make them is to modify controllers.

I'll have controller details in an updated OP in a bit. I had a much longer reply to you but it turned into a new OP so I cut it short and finally going to update it instead.

Yeah that's 100% understandable. The adapter would likely have to be made with a 3D printer, which wouldn't necessarily be easy or affordable. Makes sense, and it's great you are giving people the option!

www.hagensalley.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:48:51 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Yeah that's 100% understandable. The adapter would likely have to be made with a 3D printer, which wouldn't necessarily be easy or affordable. Makes sense, and it's great you are giving people the option!

If I could 3D print them then cost would be great. However, something like that requires tooling and a mold, plus large quantities of pieces, so it starts to approach that unrealistic 10k point  . To the best of my knowledge anyways, sadly...

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 03/16/2017 at 01:49 PM by SoleGooseProductions

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:52:03 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
Texas

If I could 3D print them then cost would be great. However, something like that requires tooling and a mold, plus large quantities of pieces, so it starts to approach that unrealistic 10k point  . To the best of my knowledge anyways, sadly...

That's definitely not realistic.

www.hagensalley.com

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:15:27 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

There are cheaper options for small runs if it is part that can be milled from a block, rather than needing injection molding.

Depends heavily on whether the part can be made by "subtractive" processes, exclusively.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:09:09 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

Just to note, I removed SNES support from the demo. I didn't want to confuse people with too many options that they were not likely to use just yet. At one point the list of available controller schemes was dual NES, SNES, VB, PSP, and PC! I'll call it my Goldeneye moment (and who knew you could hold dual controllers in that!).

Anyways, thanks for the support!

Asuming the game sends the full 16 bits to the controller, the four "key" bits at the end would automatically identify them as SNES controller, would it not? And NES controller with no inputs activated and an SNES controller with no inputs activated would appear different to the software? I believe the SNES controller pulls low after the 16th bit, and I forget if official NES controllers remain high or pull low after the 8th bit, but there's no change after bit 16 either way. What I'm saying is you can detect the controller type without confusing the user with a ton of menus.

Unsure about how the Virtual Boy controller bits are keyed, but there can't be that many floating about...

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:19:08 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Totally just backed this bad boy

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."