Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anybody collect old PC games? I don't exactly know what I have here...

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:59:05 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
In addition to console games, I happen to collect old PC stuff. I recently came across a huge load of old PC stuff from a local antique shop. I didn't even know they had PC stuff until they told me it was hidden in the back. They let me look, and it was a treasure trove! However some strange, possibly proto-typish stuff was in it. I really can't say for sure, but they look unusual. Could just be copies someone made of the games for all I know. Here's a pic:

There's more questionable stuff, but these ones popped out at me the most. Too bad I don't have some kind of 5.25 usb reader, or something.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:12:54 AM
TheReij (5)
(Michael Whitehead) < Little Mac >
Florida
I thought I had some old games sitting in the closet . . . that's ridiculous!

-------------------------

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:20:37 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Almost definitely just copies. Piracy was pretty rampant back then, and backing up your own games was entirely necessary due to the fragility of the disks.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:21:21 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
These are most likely someone's attempt to pirate software for sale at a flea market, or through mail order. Home labels for personal use aren't done that carefully, ever

On a side note, for those who don't know/remember, that little silver sticker on the right side...is the write protection! It physically prevented an internal lever from triggering when the disk bay door is closed, signaling the computer not to write.

I also have a catalog that advertises new technology of the era -- 1.44m DS/HD 3.5" floppy diskettes for only $49.90 apiece when you order in lots of ten or more. That's not the box price, BTW, that's per disk.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:25:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dangevin

These are most likely someone's attempt to pirate software for sale at a flea market, or through mail order. Home labels for personal use aren't done that carefully, ever

On a side note, for those who don't know/remember, that little silver sticker on the right side...is the write protection! It physically prevented an internal lever from triggering when the disk bay door is closed, signaling the computer not to write.

I also have a catalog that advertises new technology of the era -- 1.44m DS/HD 3.5" floppy diskettes for only $49.90 apiece when you order in lots of ten or more. That's not the box price, BTW, that's per disk.

My mom's handwriting is like a font.  When she relabeled stuff it actually looked better than the example above.

I don't find it implausible that it's just some neat-freak's home backup.

ETA:  I'd like to see that catalog.  What year is it from?  I don't recall 3.5" floppies ever costing more than a few dollars each.

Edited: 02/16/2010 at 09:26 AM by arch_8ngel

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:45:48 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Chrissake Nathan, I was obviously exaggerating. But you're right, I'm wrong, and that's what is important to be announced publicly.

Not about the catalog.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:03:48 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dangevin

Chrissake Nathan, I was obviously exaggerating. But you're right, I'm wrong, and that's what is important to be announced publicly.

Not about the catalog.

Jeez, Dan...you seem a little touchy today

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:10:12 AM
TheReij (5)
(Michael Whitehead) < Little Mac >
Florida
I need to go see what I've got in the closet. Nothing 5.25 old, but I know I've got some older games. I used to have a ton, but then hawked them all at Half-Price Books back in the early 2000s.

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:25:19 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
on another note, those are pretty fun games

eBay listings here

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:53:07 PM
Lendorien (0)

(Scott Lawrenz) < Cherub >
United States
Those are Text Adventures made by Infocom.  They're quite collectible if original release versions.  These look like pirated copies.  

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:27:10 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Originally posted by: Lendorien

Those are Text Adventures made by Infocom.  They're quite collectible if original release versions.  These look like pirated copies.  

That's pretty much what I figured.
Thanks guys!

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:25:15 PM
Ze_ro (0)
(Brad Johnson) < Tourian Tourist >
Manitoba
Originally posted by: Lendorien

Choplifter! The text adventure!

You are in a battlefield. The noise of your helicopter deafens you to all other sounds save the constant radio chatter from your fellow officers. Your orders indicate there is an enemy compound 2.5km to the north east. You are to proceed there and attempt to rescue any P.O.W.'s held inside. What do you do?

> take off

Your helicopter takes off from the pad with surprising force. You think back to when you were being assigned missions with your other training buddies, and how jealous they were that you got to fly one of the most advanced choppers the army had. What do you do?

> go left

On the horizon, you spot some enemy choppers approaching. What do you do?

> shoot

I'm sorry, you need to specify a direction

> shoot left

You hit one of the enemy choppers. It loses control, and starts to spin slowly to the ground, smoke rising from the rotor. The entire machine tilts sideways as the blades tear into the ground. A heavy thud, and the chopper is little more than a mangled chunk of metal on the ground. What do you do?

> go left

You evade the remaining choppers. There is an enemy compound here. What do you do?

> shoot down

Your gun fire destroys the roof of the compound. You see panic on the ground as enemy soldiers dive for cover. The entire compound collapses, killing anyone who might have been inside. You hear your commanding officer over the radio: "What the !@#$% was that supposed to be, lieutenant???!? You were supposed to SAVE those people, not kill them! Report back to base immediately!".

You return to based and endure a lengthly court martial. Game over.

--Zero