No more AVS updates?

Jun 06 at 2:31:02 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Originally posted by: zi

:: quietly whispers in the dark:: mmc... fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

A couple of us have already gone over this--there wouldn't be room left in the sytem's FPGA to add onboard emulation of the chip and, since the system can't support playing ROMs on its own, there's zero reason to do so--especially since neither the PowerPak nor Everdrive are configured to be able to pull chip emulation from hardware outside of their own. I have no way of understaning humor so please tell me if you're in the dark and need a flashlight? and will the flashlight work with mmc5?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. shhh. shh shhh shhhhhhhhhh. mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm cccccccccc fiiiiiiiiiiiiive

edit: b-boy has given your answer - he's looking into PAL compatibility and is also recovering from pretty much a crippling surgery. The rest is light-hearted messin' around. 

-------------------------

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 02:51 PM by zi

Jun 06 at 4:48:09 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Originally posted by: BRNexus

I'm grateful Bunnyboy is adding that palette option, but I don't think its insane to expect/want that feature. 

Insane to want it? No. Insane to expect it? Yes.

You don't buy a product that doesn't offer something an then expect it to be offered.  

You also can't expect getting certain features without asking either.   

Jun 06 at 6:09:06 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: bunnyboy
The next part is adding palette updating through the Scoreboard app so that small number of insane people don't complain anymore  

Heh.

All I'm saying is that the rocks in Contra shouldn't be green.

Jun 06 at 6:23:28 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: CMR

The next part is adding palette updating through the Scoreboard app so that small number of insane people don't complain anymore  

Heh.

Which palette are you using that has green rocks? I use unsaturated and I don't see green rocks.

Jun 06 at 10:44:42 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States

Originally posted by: CMR

Heh.

Which palette are you using that has green rocks? I use unsaturated and I don't see green rocks.

I'm talking about the rocks in the background.  If you watch this video of the NES RGB mod made by Tim Worthington you can see them side by side.  The "Improved" palette more closely matches what I see from composite video.  I know people say composite is never the same, but I don't think it's off that much.  I think it's like this because everybody uses the palette from the playchoice chip, which was always inaccurate.

"Natural" is BS.  If their set looked like that then it probably needs adjusting.  The rocks have always been distinctly brown on every TV I have ever owned.

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 10:47 PM by CMR

Jun 06 at 11:07:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I see. Unsaturated (along with a neutral tint setting on my TV) gives me roughly the same as "improved."

Jun 07 at 1:53:14 PM
2A03 (8)
(Ben U.) < Crack Trooper >
California
I'm hoping the noise channel gets fixed as well, the explosion sounds in the later Mega Man games sound noticeably off as do a few other games.

Jun 07 at 2:18:02 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: 2A03

I'm hoping the noise channel gets fixed as well, the explosion sounds in the later Mega Man games sound noticeably off as do a few other games.
Did you report it to support so it gets added to the list?

Jun 07 at 3:03:39 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Happy to report that my 1.30 update, as well as cart connector replacement and plastic cutting, went smoothly.

Jun 07 at 3:52:23 PM
zi (73)
New York
Originally posted by: barrels

Happy to report that my 1.30 update, as well as cart connector replacement and plastic cutting, went smoothly.

was it difficult? I see my constant nervous sweaty brow as a huge impediment to any AVS fix

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 07 at 4:01:34 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Originally posted by: 2A03

Did you report it to support so it gets added to the list?

Did you update your firmware and retest it first? Audio was fixed a long long time ago. A game like Mega Man would definitely have been reported a while ago if it still had an issue.  

Jun 07 at 4:12:40 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

was it difficult? I see my constant nervous sweaty brow as a huge impediment to any AVS fix

The plastic didn't come off as cleanly as i'd like, but it was all of 2 minutes of prying.

Jun 07 at 4:14:09 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

The cart connector just drops in place. It's actually tougher to get the top shell apart to get to it.

The plastic mod isn't difficult, you just need a strong, sharp blade and take your time. The plastic will break off cleanly if you make enough incisions and think it through.

Jun 08 at 2:09:42 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York

That's the same 1.30 fw that's been out since last year, right? I'd go back the the prior firmware if it weren't for the interpolation. 
It totally breaks their own 8-BIT XMAS 2018 cartridge compatibility. 

Jun 08 at 3:14:13 AM
Drunk_caterpillar (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: spoonman

That's the same 1.30 fw that's been out since last year, right? I'd go back the the prior firmware if it weren't for the interpolation. 

Dude, we got it the first time you posted it. Chill.

Edited: 06/08/2019 at 03:14 AM by Drunk_caterpillar

Jun 08 at 9:05:19 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

What? No way! If that were true someone would have said something by now.  

Jun 08 at 10:16:25 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington

Haven't even started on the xmas 2019 game yet...

I heard rumors there would not be a 2019 game cart. 2018 was the 10 year anniversary and last of the carts.
Glad to see not all rumors are true.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Jun 08 at 1:53:52 PM
zi (73)
New York
Shits Originally posted by: Mog

Garbage Originally posted by: spoonman

Shit’s broken, FYI.

Jun 10 at 6:20:11 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: Mog

From December 2018. 
Originally posted by: RetroUSB Support

Yes, we found some strange behavior with xmas 17 + 1.30 firmware. We will take a look into it.
Thank you!

Edited: 06/10/2019 at 06:28 AM by spoonman

Jun 16 at 3:08:31 PM
BrianC (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland
Some 1.40 betas are now available, up to 1.40b4. I haven't tried them yet.

Jun 18 at 1:52:55 PM
Silius (11)
(. Y .) < Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: BrianC

I don't see any on retrousb.com... Where did you see them? Wonder if PAL NES Open works now...

Jun 18 at 1:59:00 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Silius

I don't see any on retrousb.com... Where did you see them? Wonder if PAL NES Open works now...

https://retrousb.com/downloads/...
Keep in mind the changelog.
1.40b2
  Fixes some PAL games with audio and game speed issues

1.40b3 Fixes more PAL games (ppu)

1.40b4 Fixes boot to black screen issue in Mega Man 5. May break other games!

I think I'd wait until they got it all sorted out. If they haven't publicized it yet, it's probably still a work in progress.

Edited: 06/18/2019 at 01:59 PM by Tulpa

Jun 19 at 6:40:31 AM
EmperorOfTigers (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama

PAL compatibility is at the top of the list, I messed up something in either the PPU or APU so some pal/ntsc detection is failing. Support guy has a good list of the games people have reported but I don't remember where that is. The next part is adding palette updating through the Scoreboard app so that small number of insane people don't complain anymore   But that means working on the app side which is definitely a weak point. Two of the three people who worked on that are out of the scene now! Other than that I don't think there are any more planned enhancements. Not sure there is anything that fits with my skills, my time, and the hardware available.

For why it has taken so long, any work time not stolen by my kids (you should never have any) is being used trying to avoid bilateral femoral proximal rotational osteotomy (you should never do an image search for that) or I will have to build a wheelchair ramp up into my office. When I do have time it hasn't been a solid chunk so it has been spent on other projects where 5 mins is useful or doesn't require being in the office. Haven't even started on the xmas 2019 game yet...

To be completely honest other than maybe some very minor bug fixes these features are the only ones I would want to see or feel should be added. PAL compatibility definitely isn't quite right and for someone who lives in a PAL region with quite a few PAL carts that is a bit of an issue. I'm not saying PAL compatibility is currently bad but some more work on it would be great to see. As for palettes, it's obviously a very optional feature however, pretty much every premium NES solution does have a better selection for it so an update using the PC app would be fantastic and really finish the product off perfectly. 

I completely understand about time being limited by other things and I don't want to cause extra pressure. Real life things are more important and always will be. To make it clear at least from my point of view. I personally think it's completely acceptable to want the features mentioned above but not ok to expect and certainly not to expect them quickly. I really appreciate your reply to this though and mentioning those features. 

In summary, those features sound great and are the only things needed (other than maybe some very minor bugs) so I would love to see them happen someday but I totally understand they might not happen and if they do it won't be straight away. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I wish the best for you in your real life situation. 

Jun 19 at 3:08:43 PM
Silius (11)
(. Y .) < Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland

Originally posted by: Silius

https://retrousb.com/downloads/
Keep in mind the changelog.
1.40b2
  Fixes some PAL games with audio and game speed issues

1.40b3 Fixes more PAL games (ppu)

1.40b4 Fixes boot to black screen issue in Mega Man 5. May break other games!

I think I'd wait until they got it all sorted out. If they haven't publicized it yet, it's probably still a work in progress.

Thanks! I tried v1.40b4 and NES Open now works  

However, I've got the issue that there is a horizontal "pixel row shift" about one third down from the top of the screen. It looks like the top third of the screen is lagging behind when the game scrolls. It's pretty dominant in Blades of Steel. Check out the red and blue lines:

It's only there in PAL mode, not in NTSC mode. Any other PAL user have the same problem?

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 03:10 PM by Silius

Jun 19 at 10:14:07 PM
BrianC (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland
I noticed the display is still cut off a slight bit at the top in Battletoads EU (good thing HDMI is PAL friendly).