Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nintendo Switch - What is the catch?

Aug 01 at 4:11:54 PM
Clutchcards87 (14)

< Little Mac >
So I recently found a great deal (on LetGo) on a Nintendo Switch. Too good to be true great.... half of the GameStop trade in value. I was hesistant but purchased 2 off the user because he had a lot of reviews. There were used & came with charger only but worked great.

I reached out to order more, and while they weren't available immediately I was able to purchase more a week or so later. Some will come with the full sets and some charger only. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is because the deal seems to good to be true. Are there some 3D printed/knock off units going around (these units are definitely used)?  Seller refurbished? These haven't been banned online I checked the units I've purchased. Any ideas or am I just lucky? The guy is super nice and has other electronics for sale as well.

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 09:56 AM by Clutchcards87

Aug 01 at 4:36:36 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Sounds like you are buying stolen merchandise and reselling it on eBay.

-------------------------

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Aug 01 at 5:02:52 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Yeah, these definitely sound hot.

Even if the serials aren't banned, maybe the reporting party didn't have them handy?

Aug 01 at 5:08:00 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I haven't seen any weird knockoffs trying to be passed off as the real thing. Even so you would be able to tell if they were 3d printed. These sound like they were stolen to me and the guy is trying to offload them and make quick money. My rule of thumb is that if it seems too good to be true it is.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Aug 01 at 5:14:11 PM
Gutling (133)

< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Switch hacking/modding is pretty big, and i think they just came out with a new update not long ago and it may have knocked out any modded ones. Or stolen.

Aug 01 at 5:18:43 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Stolen seems like the most likely, however, there is a new switch model coming out so people could be selling off the ones they currently own for cheap? I'm not sure they would be that cheap though. So yeah +1 for stolen.

Aug 01 at 5:57:34 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Did you buy them out of the trunk of his civic?

They sound stolen to me as well

Aug 01 at 6:29:57 PM
Clutchcards87 (14)

< Little Mac >
He claims refurbished. The lot of ten would include some with all of the accessories (dock, joy con straps, etc) and some with just chargers. I did notice some repair type labels on the back of one of my initial purchase. Any chance this could be true? Wish I could validate his claim before making a purchase.

Aug 02 at 12:10:47 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
The seller clearly knows what he has so it isn't a case of ignorance. If they weren't stolen, he could just sell them to GameStop and get a lot more money back. But then he would have to provide his personal information which could lead back to him. I would hope for your sake that the ones you resold on eBay don't end up biting you in the ass because you will have a hard time proving that someone else stole them.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Aug 05 at 12:18:59 PM
Scerena4 (65)
(Kyle Scerena) < El Ripper >
Illinois
I for sure wouldn't buy anymore, as these are more then likly stolen (hence why some come with docks and all and others dont). I'm sure he didnt take them to gamestop because you have to show your ID and if they were reported stolen then they'd have their personal info. Hopefully these dont come back to bite you as there's pretty much no way to prove you didn't steal these yourself.

Edited: 08/05/2019 at 12:19 PM by Scerena4

Aug 05 at 12:28:38 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I'm not a gambling man but I'd put money on it that these are stolen. Especially if he has more electronics. Thieves, or the people moving the merchandise are nice people. They want you to think that they are likable and "good" so you'll be inclined to buy and, possibly, buy more in the future.

Also, is his brother Quincy Jones?

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Aug 05 at 10:31:23 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
I thought we had innocent till proven guilty. Can you really get in trouble for not being able to prove you didn't steal them? I bet with all the stuff we buy and sell some stolen or once-stolen stuff has passed through everyone's hands..

My FS thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Aug 15 at 4:24:55 PM
cma2032 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
this thread reminds me of that episode of King of the Hill where Hank buys crack thinking it's fish bait

Aug 15 at 4:31:25 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: cma2032

this thread reminds me of that episode of King of the Hill where Hank buys crack thinking it's fish bait

hah that's an amazing episode. Time for a KotH marathon me thinks.