Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A Suggestion for the AVS? Add our own palettes?

Jan 08 at 3:46:55 PM
EmperorOfTigers (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Over the time a lot of people have wanted certain palettes adding to the AVS. I thought of a way that could please everyone. What if you could add a palette or 2 of your own that is rewritable when you put the AVS onto the Scoreboard app. Is it actually possible to do? If so who would like to see the feature added?

Jan 09 at 11:29:40 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
The only issue here (and a bit one for paranoid folks) is the way the AVS is built, you've basically got to totally re-flash the firmware every time you do some sort of update like that. While it might be possible to implement some sort of software update that lets you apply a palette file that meets certain strict parameters to a firmware file and flash it in, it's doubtful that something like this would ever be implemented as the demand from the userbase just isn't there to justify the time and effort bunnyboy would have to put into it.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jan 09 at 8:21:56 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Or he could just add a couple more popular palettes. I would be very surprised if there wasn't enough room to fit a couple more.

Jan 10 at 9:14:06 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: BRNexus

Or he could just add a couple more popular palettes. I would be very surprised if there wasn't enough room to fit a couple more.

He already added a couple popular palettes. If he keeps adding more and more "few popular palettes" where does it end? Not everyone is going to be pleased. Ever.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jan 10 at 11:59:50 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Or you end up with the same few people badgering you every couple of months about something you did or didn't do. If an option for "leave well enough alone" had been added to the other thread I'd guess 99% of the replies would have stated that.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jan 10 at 12:44:50 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
^ real "solution" is to have an open palette editor in the next update where one can get the hex of a color xx,xx,xx and assign it to each NES color.

is it needed? nope.
anyone care? mostly nope.
pointlessly cool mod? sure.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 12:45 PM by zi

Jan 10 at 1:01:37 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: zi

^ real "solution" is to have an open palette editor in the next update where one can get the hex of a color xx,xx,xx and assign it to each NES color.

is it needed? nope.
anyone care? mostly nope.
pointlessly cool mod? sure.
I'd be cool with that. Have the four current palettes as presets and one palette open for editing. Everyone's happy.

Jan 24 at 11:52:41 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I just know the cliffs in Contra aren't supposed to be green. The FCEUX palette gets a little closer, but it still doesn't match. I would like a custom palette option as well. Maybe it could even generate a code set of numbers that could be shared with other people.

Jan 28 at 1:06:37 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Screw more palettes. I want that original Game Boy compatibility that was teased.  

| gameplay and talk |

Feb 04 at 5:40:44 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

He already added a couple popular palettes. If he keeps adding more and more "few popular palettes" where does it end? Not everyone is going to be pleased. Ever.

Wavebeam and or Smooth would be perfectly acceptable.    No excuse not to add as many as possible.

Feb 04 at 11:18:54 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

No excuse not to add as many as possible.

Actually there is limited room in the FGPA, memory is not unlimited, and is already close to full.

Need to save room for future bug fixes or an update/add-on that is actually useful.

Feb 05 at 7:16:19 AM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Mog

Actually there is limited room in the FGPA, memory is not unlimited, and is already close to full.

Need to save room for future bug fixes or an update/add-on that is actually useful.

Neither you nor I know how much memory is available.  I just hope Brian considers adding at least one more popular palette to the mix.    Best solution would be to add 1 custom palette via Scoreboard program and everyone is happy.  Then you can load in whatever palette you want.

Edited: 02/05/2019 at 07:19 AM by BRNexus

Feb 05 at 8:29:54 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Neither you nor I know how much memory is available.  

Actually I do know how much is available. And its not much.  

Feb 05 at 10:51:35 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Mog (and others) worked pretty closely with Bunny on the AVS. If he says something about it, you can take it to the bank.

Feb 06 at 3:10:13 AM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >

Neither you nor I know how much memory is available.  

Actually I do know how much is available. And its not much.  

Okay, well like I said before, best solution would be to add 1 custom palette option and then via the Scoreboard it will reflash firmware with whateve palette the end user provides.   Then a lack of memory can't be used as an excuse.  

Not the most ideal solution.   NT Mini offers best option in regards to palettes, but since AVS doesn't have an SD Card slot above solution would be the best alternative. 

The fact is there are a lot of great palettes out there people would love to use and its a shame AVS doesn't currently have an option to allow this.  Even the Unsat 6 palette is like  3 - 4 generations behind FBX's current palettes. 

Edited: 02/06/2019 at 03:15 AM by BRNexus