Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Hagane found in the Wild! But the gamestore owner is being unrealistic

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:16:14 AM
DoctorDan (58)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(The $80 Star Ocean Guy! ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Originally posted by: zigzagzarf

nice find how much did he pay for it....and yes games like that id rather have a fucked up label then a fake label anyday
I don't KNOW how much he paid for it, but the Play 'n' Trade sticker he stuck on the back of it before realizing what a rarity it is read $79.99.  In addition, I DO know that typical trade-in value for a game is between 30%-50% of what P'n'T sells them for.

So, I believe, but don't know, that Ron paid about $35-$40 for the game at most.

-------------------------
I beat cancer and ended up in the Hall of Shame!  Ask me how!

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:11:09 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to say that I think a CIB chrono is a fair trade

Also, the CIB chrono will be an "easier" and "faster" sell for him for sure

Edited: 03/25/2013 at 01:12 AM by mattyjmania

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:34:25 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
The damage does affect the value. As a store owner I think I would ask ~$200 for this one and in time 1 of 2 things would happen. 1. I'd get that $200 or 2 the price would increase and I'd get more than $200. I'm never in a hurry to sell rare desirable games that have a history (so far) of only going up.

Trading for other rare and desirable games might work better than a lower cash offer. The trade would have to be one I wanted with as likely a chance to increase in value over the short term it took to sell it.

As for a new label you could do one on a different front case and then keep this one separate. This would keep your original half label intact (should anyone care to have it)and at the same time make for a better display piece.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:41:59 AM
punkr13 (115)
(B Rye) < King Solomon >
California
damn that label is shit
your cash offer is good and if they give you that ebay says BS, i say f'it and tell them theirs a magical fairy that's called 'fees' and takes money from sellers on the site >.> (like 15%ez)

and being a play n trade, they got that shit cheap or the sucker traded for a zelda game

my art stuff: http://punkr13.deviantart.com/...

my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:47:40 AM
ThatNintendoGuy (47)
(Jason B) < El Ripper >
Michigan
Originally posted by: zigzagzarf

nice find how much did he pay for it....and yes games like that id rather have a fucked up label then a fake label anyday
Agreed leave the label original

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:29:39 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
You know buyatari has a good point there I don't think I see most people come up with. Pop n swap the front. Make a copy of the label or custom, whatever, something that's not a butt ugly eye sore, but then keep the original front with the hosed sticker and if you part with it, sell it with both fronts or just the jacked one, whatever the consumer wants. I'm sure there's plenty of useless sports title sor otherwise damaged games with good cases still around you could use as a donor front.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:42:37 PM
TobyManhattan (23)
(Jamie T) < Meka Chicken >
Canada
There's no way I'd pay more than $120 for that.

A really nice condition copy was auctioned off here and ended at $214 a little while ago. I've been watching Hagane quite a bit and I feel like it could be cooling off as well. I'm guessing a bunch of people who wanted it got it back when the price started getting crazy and now people just don't want to pay so much for a game that doesn't seem to be nearly as rare as others in the same price range.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:54:30 PM
abrahamh2 (56)
(Abraham Hernandez) < Meka Chicken >
Hawaii
^ says the guy with the hagane in his want list lol. Just kidding that label is for a lack of a better word is appalling however like buyatari says if you want a title to play and rare title to own sometimes you have to pay a price that doesn't seem fair.

To be honest I can't that you got a good deal as upon looking at the Hagane cart and what you traded it for is and not a fair trade but whom am I to judge what is fair in your eyes if you wanted Hagane you got it the more important question is was it worth it?

Edited: 03/25/2013 at 01:55 PM by abrahamh2

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:08:19 PM
DoctorDan (58)
Michigan
For the record, the Hagane cart is STILL the property of the Play 'n' Trade. I have not traded anything for it, but rather OFFERED my CIB Chrono Trigger (a game wo which I am fairly indifferent). The pictures were taken at the P'n'T, and I am trying to convince the store owner that his proposed asking price of $300 is unrealistic, as well as impressing upon him the truth of my assessment of its worth (that being $120 to $140).

Edited: 03/25/2013 at 02:08 PM by DoctorDan

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:17:28 PM
Karkilan (64)
(Benjamin Gorham) < Meka Chicken >
New Brunswick
Due to the SNES market being very strong right now and the condition of the cart label (yuck), I'd say $150-$175 is a fair price for that.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:57:00 PM
TobyManhattan (23)
Canada
Originally posted by: abrahamh2

^ says the guy with the hagane in his want list lol. 

Haha yes I see the irony.  I'd be more than willing to pay more for a good condition copy.  I'm not insane about condition, but that's pretty far gone.  My worst condition cart is my Wild Guns missing about 1/6th of the label but that one was incredibly cheap ($10).

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:20:09 PM
DoctorDan (58)
Michigan
I have successfully convinced Ron that $150 is a fair offer, and he is holding it for me.

Victory is mine!

This is my first legitimately rare game (Megaman X3 doesn't count - it's uncommon and AWESOME, not rare, and I translated my FC copy of Ducktales 2 to English, so that doesn't count), so I'm pretty excited.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:50:48 PM
abrahamh2 (56)
(Abraham Hernandez) < Meka Chicken >
Hawaii
So are you going to go through with it this time or you still have some reservations as you haven't stated that you will buy it or trade for it?

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:46:52 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
The game is rare yes but it is very good. So your assessment on the value being about rarity and collectability is wrong. Its part of it but since the game is awesome that is a huge part of it as well. Its one of the best games on the system. Have you played it or even seen it played? Because saying its anything less than a solid game is a lie to the owner lol.

If the store owner has an ebay account with good rep he could have easily gotten 250-300 for it.  Not in a local store but by selling it online. Store owners today arent very smart

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 03/26/2013 at 03:50 PM by quest4nes

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:58:39 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Man, I made out like a fucking bandit getting mine for 75 bucks like a year ago. Label looks awesome too. I really can't believe how much this game has jumped in value in such a short time. I'm not much of a condition guy myself, but Goddamn, that label is putrid. I wouldn't do more than 150 myself, and as far as gamer value, it's a fun game sure, but it's a hard motherfucker too. I could never get all that far in it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:11:09 PM
cbrown0806 (27)
(charlie brown) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: quest4nes

The game is rare yes but it is very good. So your assessment on the value being about rarity and collectability is wrong. Its part of it but since the game is awesome that is a huge part of it as well. Its one of the best games on the system. Have you played it or even seen it played? Because saying its anything less than a solid game is a lie to the owner lol.

If the store owner has an ebay account with good rep he could have easily gotten 250-300 for it.  Not in a local store but by selling it online. Store owners today arent very smart
That last sentence is very true, and that should be someone's signature

my For sale and For trade list http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:15:15 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
Hmm maybe I will call him up and offer 151.00

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:51:13 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Have you seen the label?   Even being a megatopsuperpimp ebay seller, I think he would've struggled to top 200 in that condition.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:01:41 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Have you seen the label?   Even being a megatopsuperpimp ebay seller, I think he would've struggled to top 200 in that condition.

id take you on  on the bet.  Condition matters to alot of people on here. not everyone. I could easily get 250 for this. Im a BIN seller so im not talking about any auctions. This is a hot item. 250 Id give it 6-8 weeks before its def gone. Hell if I had it I would have it as a traffic item and put it for higher than that, and it still would sell given time.

Not trying to start any kind of pricing war here lol. Just commenting.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 03/27/2013 at 12:15 AM by quest4nes

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:28:51 AM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Meh...

Games like this are like Bigfoot's Tits.

Yeah, they are tits, but they are on Bigfoot.

TLDR; Cool game, but would not want to own in that condition.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:37:57 AM
cbrown0806 (27)
(charlie brown) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I was looking at a bunch of haganes, how come some carts have a made in japan back piece, and some have a made in mexico back piece.

my For sale and For trade list http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:32:52 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
might be because some where blockbuster version boxes and some werent? not sure.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:34:36 AM
DoctorDan (58)
Michigan
Wrong. Late in the SNES's lifetime, the cart production got outsourced from Japan to Mexico, where it was cheaper to produce the carts. These carts are typically identified by the prefix of "M/xxx" on the label code, and are known for having matte labels instead of satin labels, black and white manuals, and less-shiny boxes.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:22:38 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I don't think you misled him, and I think your Chrono Trigger offer is pretty fair, but I think the price is a bit low, even in that condition (strictly based on sold prices, not based on my opinion of the game, which is a completely different story, see below).

In the condition you posted, I think $150 minimum is probably fair, as was the case with this one for $157:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hagane-Th...

...but there are some sold listing that went higher (also with crappy labels):

$250:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hagane-Th...

I also want to say that Hagane isn't even in the same ballpark as "rare" though. This is a classic case where somewhere along the way someone posted (or blogged) that this title is somehow rare. I'm not saying it's common, but it's definitely not rare. There are at least 4-5 copies on eBay right now, and 25+ in the recently-sold listings.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:34:05 AM
TobyManhattan (23)
Canada
Originally posted by: Dain

I don't think you misled him, and I think your Chrono Trigger offer is pretty fair, but I think the price is a bit low, even in that condition (strictly based on sold prices, not based on my opinion of the game, which is a completely different story, see below).

In the condition you posted, I think $150 minimum is probably fair, as was the case with this one for $157:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hagane-The-Final-Conflict-Super...

...but there are some sold listing that went higher (also with crappy labels):

$250:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hagane-The-Final-Conflict-SNES-...

I also want to say that Hagane isn't even in the same ballpark as "rare" though. This is a classic case where somewhere along the way someone posted (or blogged) that this title is somehow rare. I'm not saying it's common, but it's definitely not rare. There are at least 4-5 copies on eBay right now, and 25+ in the recently-sold listings.

That first link you posted is also a fake/reproduction that the seller decided not to disclose in the auction.

Your last paragraph makes sense as well.  As soon as this title became popular people were finding them left and right and there's always some on eBay.