Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Donkey Kong Jr. Contest ends Sunday, 3/13/16 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:12:31 PM
Milwaukee_Nintendo (17)
(Charles A) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Originally posted by: Milwaukee_Nintendo

I don't own this one, gotta sit out for the week

That's no good! Do you not have any way of playing on an emulator ?

No, I don't have an emulator. #noob

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:18:57 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

I don't own this one, gotta sit out for the week

That's no good! Do you not have any way of playing on an emulator ?

No, I don't have an emulator. #noob

I assume you have a computer? My buddies and I "hacked" PSPs to play NES games on the go!

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:29:54 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Keyboards?....we don't need no stinking keyboards.

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 05:17 PM by skinnygrinny

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:35:00 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
This game made me think of the Sean Price mixtape 

Donkey Sean Jr.

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 05:35 PM by TWarwick07

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:40:02 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: TWarwick07

Donkey Sean Jr.

Oh, and DJ P.F. Cuttin a play on E.F. Hutton. Good stuff.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:12:57 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

As hard as I try I don't think I'll crack 200k. None

Edited: 03/13/2016 at 08:08 PM by Richardhead

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:41:47 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Score updated.

I'm trying to figure out what bothers me most about this game, even though I'm liking it more as I play it again and again. I think it's just pretty unforgiving, since almost any fall kills, and the opportunities to advance can be pretty tight. I don't know if it's my controller or what, but I also find really wonky things happening, like, on the second stage, when I'm on the moving platform, sometimes I'll be holding up on the pad when I jump to catch the second rope, and I'll just do a crazy backwards moonwalk jump to my death. That's frustrating.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:00:25 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

Score updated.

I'm trying to figure out what bothers me most about this game, even though I'm liking it more as I play it again and again. I think it's just pretty unforgiving, since almost any fall kills, and the opportunities to advance can be pretty tight. I don't know if it's my controller or what, but I also find really wonky things happening, like, on the second stage, when I'm on the moving platform, sometimes I'll be holding up on the pad when I jump to catch the second rope, and I'll just do a crazy backwards moonwalk jump to my death. That's frustrating.

No shit! I assume the platform you are talking about is the one you get to via stupid springboard?!?! I really hate that thing!

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:07:06 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

Score updated.

No shit! I assume the platform you are talking about is the one you get to via stupid springboard?!?! I really hate that thing!

Ha, no, maybe? I'm talking about the little one that moves under the moving ropes. So yes? I don't normally get on it via the springboard, though. I know you can, but I often will go the long way because I've found, so far, the spring-to-small-moving-platform maneuver to be fairly unreliable; I tried a bunch to get that maneuver consistent, but it'll sometimes do this weird thing where you catch the lip of the small platform and then fall to the large one to the right of the springboard, which (weirdly) triggers death. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:17:09 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

Yes, I'm actually showing signs of effort this week.  I crossed 200K the last time we played this, so that will be my goal for the week, even if I doubt that will be enough to place.

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 07:17 PM by EgasKrad

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:18:49 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Score updated.

Ha, no, maybe? I'm talking about the little one that moves under the moving ropes. So yes? I don't normally get on it via the springboard, though. I know you can, but I often will go the long way because I've found, so far, the spring-to-small-moving-platform maneuver to be fairly unreliable; I tried a bunch to get that maneuver consistent, but it'll sometimes do this weird thing where you catch the lip of the small platform and then fall to the large one to the right of the springboard, which (weirdly) triggers death. 

Oh man.... I always try that stupid springboard! I'm always in a hurry. I'll have to try the long way!

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:19:06 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

On a personal side note - I'm going to be trying mighty hard just to score participation points.
Donkey Kong jr. and me are not great friends.

I'm not having much luck either. I can't even break 300k. I swear I'm still burned out from the Kung Fu contest.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:31:18 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Score updated.

Oh man.... I always try that stupid springboard! I'm always in a hurry. I'll have to try the long way!

I sometimes reach that platform with the springboard, but I usually have to take the long way. Getting on the moving platform the long way is one of the trickier parts of the game. You have to time the jump just right or you'll miss the moving rope to get onto the platform and you have to watch out for falling eggs. Fortunately the egg has a small hitbox.

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 07:37 PM by mbd39

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:52:25 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Look at this guy, so proud of his win  

i dont know if you can claim that belt outright, I am the reigning shinobi champ...

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:24:06 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Originally posted by: Commander Santa

On a personal side note - I'm going to be trying mighty hard just to score participation points.
Donkey Kong jr. and me are not great friends.

I'm not having much luck either. I can't even break 300k. I swear I'm still burned out from the Kung Fu contest.

Burned out or recovering from too many bionic elbows

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:26:41 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: mbd39

Donkey Sean Jr.

Oh, and DJ P.F. Cuttin a play on E.F. Hutton. Good stuff.

PF Cuttin is a dope DJ ... he did the beats for the Blahzey Blahzey album, does alot of underground stuff for guys from brooklyn, Back in the day he could hold his own with premier and pete rock , and he is nice with the scratches too

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 08:28 PM by TWarwick07

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:27:48 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Burned out or recovering from too many bionic elbows

No wonder I have a headache.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 08:28 PM by bearcat-doug

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:28:45 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Originally posted by: mbd39

Score updated.

I sometimes reach that platform with the springboard, but I usually have to take the long way. Getting on the moving platform the long way is one of the trickier parts of the game. You have to time the jump just right or you'll miss the moving rope to get onto the platform and you have to watch out for falling eggs. Fortunately the egg has a small hitbox.

Agreed, I just take the long way. Going for the jump is too glitchy and even if you do it, it's only worth about 600-700 points in saved time. Not worth risking a life for.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:46:09 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Sometimes you can get a really cheap death when you're jumping high off the springboard, barely graze the side of the platform, and then fall off. I hate when that happens.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:01:37 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Practice run from last night! Hope to get some more attempts in before Sunday.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:17:11 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Hey bimmy/gui/doug/bert, just want to thank you again for running this. I've been having a freaking blast playing all these games I've never played before. Probably wouldn't of for years (if ever) if not for this either.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:22:26 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Hey bimmy/gui/doug/bert, just want to thank you again for running this. I've been having a freaking blast playing all these games I've never played before. Probably wouldn't of for years (if ever) if not for this either.

Many thanks buddy! I'm happy to hear it cause it is the main goal of the contest, sharing a collective gaming experience.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:45:34 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

Seconded. It really gives me incentive to enjoy these games, and it makes sense to play a lot of them in this context. I mean, 2/3 of the games thus far have been arcade ports, and what would the arcade be without a scoreboard and some gnarly competition? 

As you say, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't have played Kung Fu or DKJ for years without these contests. And even if I did turn them on, I probably would've played for like two seconds and switched back to Super Mario World or something.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:44:59 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Here's another improvement. I can't believe I blew this run. Some of my earlier deaths were silly, and I had my last death on Level 1 going up the initial ropes...

edit: new score below, old score 175,800

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 03/12/2016 at 11:55 PM by Krunch

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:53:13 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Seconded. It really gives me incentive to enjoy these games, and it makes sense to play a lot of them in this context. I mean, 2/3 of the games thus far have been arcade ports, and what would the arcade be without a scoreboard and some gnarly competition? 

As you say, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't have played Kung Fu or DKJ for years without these contests. And even if I did turn them on, I probably would've played for like two seconds and switched back to Super Mario World or something.

I'm glad you guys are digging the contests and hope you will stick around when we start playing some less mainstream stuff.  Our goal is to get people trying out different NES games and simply just playing their NES, so we are obviously succeeding   And Brock, I'm loving the SNES contests.  It gets me playing my SNES more and playing games I don't play all the time.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread