Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesrulers Contest presents:MEGA MAN!!!! Ends next sunday 2/7 at 9 o clock!!!

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:32:40 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Alright guys!!
This weeks game is a Big one!!!! MEGA MAN!!!!!!!!!
Rules:
1 Life
Post score with your name at the end
Honor System for not doing the same level over again
Participation point at: 100,000

Take a picture with your name in the shot!!!!

Ends next sunday at 9 o clock!

Good Luck!
Jeremy

-------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:01:29 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
O boy i'm gonna have to give this one a crack.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:17:58 PM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
I'll finally get a chance to play through MM1. I've always wanted to.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:22:28 PM
tacolinowest (11)
(john t) < El Ripper >
New York
i love megaman! i mean i just started playing it so i suck, but its so hell

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:34:13 PM
Master Chu (19)
(Mike Whitaker) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arkansas
Ouch! My friend Francis used to sit down and beat this game anytime he wanted to with 1 or 2 lives...
Bastard... lol

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:23:15 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
I want to give this one a try, but tell me... is there any kind of prize? or it is just for sports and recognition. I'll do it anyway.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:28:22 PM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
What's to stop somebody from farming enemies on say, Elecman's stage for an hour or two by going back and forth between screens?

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (56 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:42:04 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

I want to give this one a try, but tell me... is there any kind of prize? or it is just for sports and recognition. I'll do it anyway.

It is actually for both, though the prize are only distributed to the best players in the whole year!
See this thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Come in and enjoy the fun my friend!

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:44:48 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: scaryice

What's to stop somebody from farming enemies on say, Elecman's stage for an hour or two by going back and forth between screens?

That's the first thought I had when I saw the contest.

I have nothing against racking in general, but let's be honest, racking in a game without a time clock is most of the times less about skill than patience, and I have personally a little problem with that.

Edited: 01/31/2010 at 11:51 PM by guillavoie

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:10:09 AM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: scaryice

That's the first thought I had when I saw the contest.

I have nothing against racking in general, but let's be honest, racking in a game without a time clock is most of the times less about skill than patience, and I have personally a little problem with that.

Yeah, I just tried to see if that was possible, and it indeed is in the first stage. Takes a LOT of patience unless someone knows enemies that can give lots of points. I guess we'll have to do the honor system here, and say that you can't farm enemies with the intention of doing so. If you're just being cautious and go back and forth a few times before advancing, then ok, or if you do it a few times to get a health powerup.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:32:53 AM
DestructoDisk (117)
(Timothy Patrick Vreeland) < King Solomon >
Nevada
O boy, I suck balls as Mega Man, but ill give this a shot.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:50:44 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
I don't think you should ban point farming from a score contest. As long as someone is getting points in a game, obeying all the parameters of the game as defined by the games programmers, and not cheating, then those are legitimately earned points. It may be deemed a "cheap" technique, but its just another strategy in what is a contest after all. Usually point farming isn't even as effective of a technique  as simply progressing in the game.
It was said that farming/progressing amounts to a battle of skill versus patience, and I agree. Fatigue sets in pretty quick when your doing a repetitious activity and stupid mistakes happen easily. We know that skill trumps patience in the end. Whichever way you look at it, its a battle of endurance, and you can decide which way to play.

In  Mega Man specifically farming enemies doesn't seem as good  as just finishing the stages to get the clear bonuses.  

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:59:36 AM
JawKnee (10)
(Johnnie Barton) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Brunswick
in a game where your want to get  the most pionts , those little red balls that drop when you kill a enemie gives you 1000 pionts at the end of the level , meaning that the game is almost telling you it is okay to "farm" ,
and the fact that you can play a level over and over again , I think personly that you should be able to get your pionts by any means , and the first to 9999990 would in  turn be the winner ...

On one hand your asking people to get the most pionts , but on the other your asking them to run thought the game and only get the pionts that you would get on a normal 1 run playthought ,

thats just my oppinion on it ,

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 01:00 AM by JawKnee

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:58:26 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: JawKnee

in a game where your want to get  the most pionts , those little red balls that drop when you kill a enemie gives you 1000 pionts at the end of the level , meaning that the game is almost telling you it is okay to "farm" ,
and the fact that you can play a level over and over again , I think personly that you should be able to get your pionts by any means , and the first to 9999990 would in  turn be the winner ...

On one hand your asking people to get the most pionts , but on the other your asking them to run thought the game and only get the pionts that you would get on a normal 1 run playthought ,

thats just my oppinion on it ,

We do have the rule in place to not replay levels, and I agree with Herb, especially in a tough game like Mega Man, you're probably going to be farming more for a health pickup than a few extra points. 

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:18:02 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Good pick, though there seems to be some debate already. Hopefully I'll have time to get a minimum score in.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:19:04 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Anyone who farms to win this contest gets a huge asterisk by their name

Farming is for weenies that have more time than skill.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:32:05 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
I didn't know you could even replay the levels in this one. And if there is a problem with point racking, then we need to recount the scores from Adventure Island 3.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:42:25 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
i haven't played this game in a long time, but it sounds similar to contra. we had people point rack in contra and they got blown away by people who actually went through the game. usually, it ends up being a combination of both (point rack at crucial points, but are also able to clear the game and earn the big points).

I didn't know the game this week, so I didn't make these rules. sorry they weren't established ahead of time, but lets stick to the original rules set by Jeremy - point racking is okay, but no replaying levels.

Let's Go Penguins!

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:44:32 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: MrMiniMog

I didn't know you could even replay the levels in this one. And if there is a problem with point racking, then we need to recount the scores from Adventure Island 3.

How can you point rack in Adventure Island 3, with the 1-life-rule in effect?

The screen only scrolls in one direction, so nothing respawns that I've ever seen.

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 10:44 AM by arch_8ngel

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:45:20 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

I didn't know the game this week, so I didn't make these rules. sorry they weren't established ahead of time, but lets stick to the original rules set by Jeremy - point racking is okay, but no replaying levels.

If people want to point rack they can.  But I still say they're sissies for doing it.

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 10:45 AM by arch_8ngel

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:51:04 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The screen only scrolls in one direction, so nothing respawns that I've ever seen.

The under water boss in level 4. The little crabs that float up give you 200(?) points. And being there is no timer at the boss, you can sit and rack points till the sun goes down.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:52:02 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The under water boss in level 4. The little crabs that float up give you 200(?) points. And being there is no timer at the boss, you can sit and rack points till the sun goes down.

Ah, didn't get that far   Lame.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:52:31 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
^ sissies with way too much free time. point racking takes a LOT of time. I'm just hoping the dominators still pull out on top. I'm guessing (and hoping) the main bosses give HUGE points

Let's Go Penguins!

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:55:29 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Well the reason that point racking was trumped in Contra was because the game infinitely loops. In Mega Man, you beat it and it is done.

Also, is it even possible to replay stages? I thought that once you beat a level, it is done for good? I'm pretty sure it is that way on all of the later Mega Mans, but it has been awhile since I tried the first.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:58:44 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

^ sissies with way too much free time. point racking takes a LOT of time. I'm just hoping the dominators still pull out on top. I'm guessing (and hoping) the main bosses give HUGE points

All it takes is more time than skill.  I have no respect for a score that is simply the result of wasting time.
Finding spots to camp in a TIMED game involves some skill, problem-solving, and risk assessment, and with the timer you're limited to what you can do.  (Ninja Gaiden, Donkey Kong, etc)
Finding spots to camp in a game that is not timed, is relatively effortless, and kind of lame.

I do have respect for scores that are generated by actual skill at the game.