Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Saving on AVS?

Nov 4, 2016 at 6:20:52 AM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I don't think I actually owned any games that actually saved when I owned a Top Loader. But recently I heard games like Zelda or Final Fantasy will erase if you don't hold the reset button before powering off or something? Supposebly the NES had sensitive power of something that it would cause a spike. Does the AVS need to hold reset as well? I bit confused by this. 

-------------------------
Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:01:36 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Have you ever read the back label of the Legend of Zelda?

The game itself says to hold reset before powering off.

Did anyone do that? Not many, did the games erase? None that I know of...

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:14:11 AM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: OnlyHereForTheScoreboard

did the games erase? None that I know of...
Paul (love the new name lol) It can happen   I had one person who didn't do it with a copy of Lagrange Point and it erased their save on a normal NES. 

OP yes treat the AVS like a normal NES and hold reset like the directions indicate. Reset being held was done as a way to not have the CPU/PPU running when turning off the system.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:19:46 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
I've lost games from not using reset, though that's not actually the issue. The issue is that cutting power to the CPU does not work as you might expect. Instead of simply turning off, it goes crazy for a fraction of a second.

As the power level drops to zero the CPU begins spazzing out just before it stops working. It begins sending erratic reads and writes to random addresses. If some of those addresses happen to correspond to your save RAM, you get a corrupted save. Many games are programmed to reinitialize your save (reset it) if they see something they don't understand/expect and others out-right wipe it if the CRC doesn't match. This is so that a corrupted save doesn't break the game.

I've had corrupted saves that didn't get erased too.

Edited: 11/04/2016 at 09:21 AM by CZroe

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:33:16 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Well damn, I learn something new everyday..

I hope my Bladebuster never erases from me just powering off my NES and AVS...

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:54:46 AM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
As a kid I lost some saves, and I never held reset. Once I actually started doing that, I haven't had that issue.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:59:02 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I don't have any games with the gold back though besides Nobunaga's Ambition and maybe Shingen the Ruler. Should start doing that from now on though. Dragon Warrior saves too right?

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:20:17 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, most RPGs on the NES have batteries.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:28:54 PM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
just tried it with my Final Fantasy cart.. and turning the system on starting the game and cutting power messed up the save after the 4th try.. fortunately the AVS will allow you to back up your saves to a hard drive.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:37:34 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Wait really?! So that's what that was... can the Analog NT do that too?

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:50:01 PM
Soma (36)

< El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: AaronE

Paul (love the new name lol) It can happen   I had one person who didn't do it with a copy of Lagrange Point and it erased their save on a normal NES. 

OP yes treat the AVS like a normal NES and hold reset like the directions indicate. Reset being held was done as a way to not have the CPU/PPU running when turning off the system.

Yeah I think that was me - first time that happened to me in the 25+ years I've spent playing NES. Since then I've been a bit paranoid....

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:52:41 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Soma

Originally posted by: AaronE

Yeah I think that was me - first time that happened to me in the 25+ years I've spent playing NES. Since then I've been a bit paranoid....

Yup it was you