Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew 8 BIT XMAS 2016 development OUT NOW!!!!

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:22:38 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I am so happy this is going to be a pinball game.....can't wait for this to come out I am going to play the hell out of it!

Come on Christmas!!!

Keep doing God's work Brian.

-------------------------
Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:33:35 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: toshi5o3

Awesome dude! Looking forward to checking out the new x-mas tunes   Any ideas as to which heart-warming tunes are going to make it in this year?

sorta! I have a formula and notes from last year, so I think I can narrow down my outstanding list to four tunes.

Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Jingle Balls...  

Zi, I'm thinking at least one tune with "bells" in the title would be fitting this year, since pinball pop bumpers kind of sound like bells. Jingle Bells gets overused though. Perhaps, "DING, DONG, DING, DONG... Christmas Bells are Ring-ing...  

Marshmallow World had me stumped a bit last year as I needed my mom's help identifying it. Then I saw an ad for a department store with that song in it and I'm like, "Duh!"  

I also like how most years have a mix of sacred and secular songs in them. Anyway take care Zi.  

wassup bud! Yeah, marshmallow world happened because of the sinatra doc on HBO and watching deano slush out a few tunes on stage. that man could slur like a pro. I have my list of songs (and songs to create) but I gotta get a full xmas song list going (i just started in 2013 so five years of songs have been covered and I'm going to try to avoid overlap unless I can crush it).

I'm nagging Brian about in game music, but he's got his own programming hill to climb. He knows the request and will do everything he can to make it happen. or not. it's his project, I'm just an interLOOPer!   get it, because I use loops and...

Okay, it's time to shut up and get to musicing!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:53:10 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Just use some tables, Brian.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:54:52 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: zi

Originally posted by: toshi5o3

Awesome dude! Looking forward to checking out the new x-mas tunes   Any ideas as to which heart-warming tunes are going to make it in this year?

sorta! I have a formula and notes from last year, so I think I can narrow down my outstanding list to four tunes.

Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Jingle Balls...  

Zi, I'm thinking at least one tune with "bells" in the title would be fitting this year, since pinball pop bumpers kind of sound like bells. Jingle Bells gets overused though. Perhaps, "DING, DONG, DING, DONG... Christmas Bells are Ring-ing...  

Marshmallow World had me stumped a bit last year as I needed my mom's help identifying it. Then I saw an ad for a department store with that song in it and I'm like, "Duh!"  

I also like how most years have a mix of sacred and secular songs in them. Anyway take care Zi.  

wassup bud! Yeah, marshmallow world happened because of the sinatra doc on HBO and watching deano slush out a few tunes on stage. that man could slur like a pro. I have my list of songs (and songs to create) but I gotta get a full xmas song list going (i just started in 2013 so five years of songs have been covered and I'm going to try to avoid overlap unless I can crush it).

I'm nagging Brian about in game music, but he's got his own programming hill to climb. He knows the request and will do everything he can to make it happen. or not. it's his project, I'm just an interLOOPer!   get it, because I use loops and...

Okay, it's time to shut up and get to musicing!

Whatever you dish out, I'm sure it will be awesome!  

I don't think anything could ever top the "chipmunks" tune on Xmas 2010 though. Pity I can't afford that one...  

So many tunes for so many homebrews. The incident was epic too. I still have not finished that one yet, but I did get the super limited CD soundtrack!  

Off topic, but do you have an ETA on Thornby? Still waiting for more tunes to drop...  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 06/08/2016 at 09:56 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:17:50 PM
zi (73)
New York
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

jesus, right? tables. and then tables of tables. it's such a space saver!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:25:32 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: zi

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

jesus, right? tables. and then tables of tables. it's such a space saver!
This enough tables in the stack for ya?  

Edited: 06/09/2016 at 01:26 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:41:06 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 development video #6.

Multiball! This game will only have two balls at once, but the engine is written to (hopefully) support more for other tables. Also added hitting objects turns other objects on/off. Much of the remaining work is connecting all the objects together. Originally recorded on May 29.

https://www.facebook.com/retroUSB...

Edited: 06/10/2016 at 12:41 PM by bunnyboy

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:08:37 PM
Silius (11)
(. Y .) < Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
Looking great!! I love pinball and I'll definitely get this one :-)

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:09:08 PM
zi (73)
New York
tablegate update.

Bri bri has used even moar tables. spoiler alert: in game music is happening!!!

Edited: 06/10/2016 at 04:09 PM by zi

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:57:19 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I wish you could squeeze three balls in, but two will do...  

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39:57 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: bunnyboy
... the engine is written to (hopefully) support more for other tables.

Gigity.

Edited: 06/10/2016 at 09:40 PM by JamesRobot

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:45:39 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Multiball!! Looking awesome, can't wait to play it  

Edited: 06/10/2016 at 09:45 PM by Mog

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:13:03 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
I spent a while looking at pinball websites like http://www.ipdb.org... (thanks aarone) and realized I probably need ramps to do modern style tables. My engine is really not set up for that, so future (non xmas) carts will probably be stuck in the 60s/70s era. Ones I thought looked cool might just be because of the graphics instead of the gameplay like Hulk http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id... Wonder how much the license to Playboy would cost... http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id...

I can actually make the table bigger and have scrolling pretty easily so it would be a set up like High Speed, but I don't think those ones have multiball?

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:53:27 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

I spent a while looking at pinball websites like http://www.ipdb.org (thanks aarone) and realized I probably need ramps to do modern style tables. My engine is really not set up for that, so future (non xmas) carts will probably be stuck in the 60s/70s era. Ones I thought looked cool might just be because of the graphics instead of the gameplay like Hulk http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5350&picno=51389 Wonder how much the license to Playboy would cost... http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1823&picno=63787&z...

I can actually make the table bigger and have scrolling pretty easily so it would be a set up like High Speed, but I don't think those ones have multiball?
High Speed and Pinbot are two of my favorite Pinball games for NES. I loved the split scrolling they did, since you can see the ball and the flippers at all times. Pinbot definitely has a multiball mode as you lock two balls into the "eyes" of the Pinbot. There are five targets on the door and when you hit them the door opens revealing two holes in which to lock the balls. Getting the second ball in will trigger multiball mode. I forget it it's two or three simultaneous though, and I may be getting the Pinball Arcade and NES versions mixed up. Lotta funky stuff happens in the NES version when you play long enough and advance the planets, the color pallet changes and you eventually get triangular and square balls with outrageous physics! There is a multiball in High Speed too I believe but I can't remember what triggers it. I just love how the superb voice acting on the police dispatch is spot on from the arcade, but they messed up the flow of the table a bit with the ball hazards, bonus items, and minigames.

Then there is Nintendo Pinball (and it's superior VS version), Rollerball (known as Family Pinball in Japan, with Namco licensed characters), and a few others. Stay away from Pinball Quest however; it sucks as a half-assed attempt to shoehorn an RPG/Adventure into a pinball game, with bad physics to add to the misery. Kirby Pinball Land (GB) and Mario Pinball Land (GBA) got the adventure aspect right however. Have you thought of doing multilevel designs? They seem to be popular with 8- and 16-bit pinball sims.

I think for Xmas 2016, a single Christmas themed table for the Xmas cart, and then a full featured game with multiple tables using the pinball engine can come later. We already know you're gonna recycle this like you did for Xmas '11, '13, and '15. Also a GUI stage builder where people can create their own tables on a PC and inject them into the NES ROM for play on a flash cart or emulator would be the bees knees!  

Edited: 06/11/2016 at 04:03 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:49:56 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 development video #7.

All objects now connected all objects now connected! Did some layout refinements, and added a ball counter. Finally paid for Screenium too! Next update has more visible changes   Originally recorded on June 2.

Edited: 06/12/2016 at 12:50 AM by bunnyboy

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:25:04 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Can you cradle the ball holding the flipper up?

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:14:22 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 development video #8.

Text! And numbers! What a glorious day! Found a cool font from another game (can you guess it?) and added some messages. Started points too, but at this point they are too low for the modern mega millions style. The vertical yellow bar is another status display for points/bonus and extras like double scores. Originally recorded on June 3. I thought I would have caught up to real time by now...

Edited: 06/13/2016 at 01:14 AM by bunnyboy

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:50:03 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Very cool to see the progress. Thanks for continuing to update us all.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:21:07 AM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
What's that? Yup a full blown emotional boner. Updates are looking nice!

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:30:43 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Looking great! Love the font.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:04:43 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 development video #9. Lots of work in the points system for this one. Points, bonus, multipliers, and making the number display count instead of just showing the total. Each digit only increments by one each frame, so to go from 6 to 1 it does 6-7-8-9-0-1. This is like the mechanical score displays where it is a cylinder that spins for each digit. Ball catchers are still buggy. Originally recorded on June 8.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:12:47 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
^^Ball keeps getting stuck above the "Tristar Spin" area. I must have seen the "emulation reset" message at least half a dozen times. Were you doing that? Anyway kudos and keep working at it...

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:47:41 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 development video #10.

On the NES you basically have one frame to do all your CPU processing, or the game slows down. Easy way to show how much CPU is used is by adding a gray line when processing is finished for that frame. The lower the line is on the screen, the more CPU time has been used up. If the line reaches the bottom the game slows. Fortunately this shows I have lots of time left for things like music.

Ball catchers and bottom exit are still buggy, and graphics set back to the playfield set so the text is using the wrong tiles. Originally recorded on June 9.

Edited: 06/15/2016 at 02:48 AM by bunnyboy

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:00:16 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Brilliant! It even looks like a real pinball now. I assume there will be plenty of CPU left for audio since the usage bar barely fills half the screen. I'm guessing proper graphical tiles won't increase it much. How is CPU utilization on multiball mode?

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:30:20 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
This is my favorite video yet due to the good news it brings! Give me a Christmas theme and in-game music, and this will be my favorite 8-bit Xmas yet. I won't even ask for sound effects.