NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesruler contest presents:Pinball Ends next sunday at 10 PM central

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:31:55 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

This is definitely a game that it would be interesting to see the decompiled source code, in order to understand how the game was actually implemented.

...But is there actually any way to do this?

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:53:09 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
^I can write a decompiler in about twenty lines, but the question is, is the source usable. 6502 is essentially just a long text document with a bunch of opcodes and memory addresses. Changing the opcodes back into their basic commands would give you less of a "The Matrix" looking thing, but without remarks and even basic formatting, it would still be meaningless without a TON of analysis.

Arch: I find mode B _much_ easier. The heavier ball makes the game quicker (less tedious to get a good score) but also the angles are a lot more favorable for hitting the various lanes. Also it's much easier to get the royal flush, just let the ball dribble off the upper flippers on either side. Getting it back upstairs is a simple trick too in mode B.

-------------------------

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:25:09 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
this one's just for pride since the contest is over. I played a quick game before bed last night and it turned into half an hour. at that point I'm tired and this is getting pretty tedious so I gave it up. I still have a ball in play and one in the hole too.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:27:54 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Nice score. I was hoping to break 400k with my winning game (considering I had 300k+ with the first ball), but fate was a cruel mistress