Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Boiled my first old ass 72 pin connector... Sorcery happend Step by step How to restore your NES connector

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:16:44 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
Lol, No joke! I just finished my 3rd one and same great results.

-------------------------

FS/Trade List  |  My LA Treasure Hunt thread  |  Mario WTB list  |  Black Box WTB list

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:34:44 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: ZoOmer

Boiled another one today, did exactly the same thing and it worked just as well. Don't even need to press the cart down

This actually means you put your NES back together wrong, bro

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:41:24 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
Care to explain how it could even be put together wrong? didn't think that was even possible...

FS/Trade List  |  My LA Treasure Hunt thread  |  Mario WTB list  |  Black Box WTB list

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:46:36 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta

Care to explain how it could even be put together wrong? didn't think that was even possible...

Replying from my phone so I can't really explain it well right now, but there's a little black plastic tab on the cartridge tray that needs to be moved below a metal piece connected to the console body. If the NES plays without pushing the game down, the black tab is on top of the metal thing. If that makes any sense.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:02:55 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean, but I made sure all that was correctly in position, Most games will play up or pressed down, and this was on 2 of the 3 I worked on. And I made sure of that stupid plastic thing because its messed me up before lol. Ill look again but Im almost positive I put back togeather properly. Thanks for the tip though!

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:16:54 PM
jd123541 (0)
(Jason Destroismaison) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
thats an awesome tip!I gotta make some 72 pin connector soup, but I did hear it works better if you throw a few diced carrots in haha

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:34:40 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
NES carts shouldn't be pushed down to begin with, doing that overextends the pins, causing them to become very loose over time. Take a loose pin connector and plug a cart in it if you want, notice how it naturally stays up...

Hmm, very interesting this trick is though. I may have to try it myself, I got a couple of new pin connectors and I can't get them to play in the up position... Very frustrating. What happened to all the gorilla grip pin connectors people used to sell?! I bought one that loosened up over time and works perfectly in the up position.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:34:58 PM
Remedylane (51)
(Matt W.) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
I tried this a couple of weeks ago.. I boiled 3 connectors.. One broke, the other 2 did not work. Well, they worked, but not like a new connector does. If its working well for you guys, then by all means have at it! When I refurb my systems for re sell, ill spend 6 or 7 bucks and buy a new connector.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:20:39 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: Remedylane

I tried this a couple of weeks ago.. I boiled 3 connectors.. One broke, the other 2 did not work. Well, they worked, but not like a new connector does. If its working well for you guys, then by all means have at it! When I refurb my systems for re sell, ill spend 6 or 7 bucks and buy a new connector.

When you say broke, do you mean like cracked in half?  I feel partly responsible lol. I always test with 2 systems, 1 I know works like new and the one im trying to fix, so that I can test to make sure they are reading games the same. But damn, sorry to hear it didnt work.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:09:47 AM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Completed mine last night and it worked like a charm! After the second boiling I took otterpop's directions for putting it in the oven on low and then used a hairdryer to make sure it was dry. Next thing I knew I was playing Ninja Gaiden II

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:28:39 AM
Gemini (20)
(Ninja V) < Meka Chicken >
Quebec
Wouldn't this cause the metal on the connectors to begin to rust/corrode?

Hey check this out ------> PM if you got mint NES/SNES cib's I'll probably buy em! I love me some boxes :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:26:35 PM
CozmicThunder (1)
(Joel Adams) < Cherub >
Missouri
I just took the worst pin connector i had... Followed your instructions and used a hair dryer to dry the connector... Now the Nintendo that the previously dead pin connector is in works just as good as my Top Loader!!!  SERIOUSLY WORKED FOR ME!!

Edited: 02/04/2012 at 09:28 PM by CozmicThunder

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:34:04 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: CozmicThunder

I just took the worst pin connector i had... Followed your instructions and used a hair dryer to dry the connector... Now the Nintendo that the previously dead pin connector is in works just as good as my Top Loader!!!  SERIOUSLY WORKED FOR ME!!

Awesome I was thinking about a hair dryer too. I may add that to the ingredients. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:57:22 PM
Shane (146)
United States

Originally posted by: CozmicThunder

Awesome I was thinking about a hair dryer too. I may add that to the ingredients. 

Yeah even after putting the connector in the oven for 10 minutes I still needed to use the hair dryer as it didn't completely get the connector dry.

Awesome idea on using a cart on the connector and then boiling it for another 5 minutes. Can't believe how affective it was.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:19:58 AM
Remedylane (51)
(Matt W.) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina

Originally posted by: Remedylane

When you say broke, do you mean like cracked in half?  I feel partly responsible lol. I always test with 2 systems, 1 I know works like new and the one im trying to fix, so that I can test to make sure they are reading games the same. But damn, sorry to hear it didnt work.

You aren't responsible at all bro!  I saw another thread about it and decided to try it. It didnt break in half, its hard to explain.  No worries! Im glad its working for yall.. Perhaps ill try again.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:58:08 PM
max_boner (53)
(Charles Salisbury) < Crack Trooper >
Nevada
I tried this the other night and it worked fine. I followed your exact recipe. I used a copy of anticipation to jam in there when it was still wet and hot. I also bent the pins to make things a little tighter in there. Dirty games still need cleaning though to get them to work, which is expected. 

My NES want list:  http://losdorados.us/NES/wantlist.txt 
Extra games I have for sale or preferably trade:  http://losdorados.us/NES/forsale.txt

Edited: 02/15/2012 at 12:59 PM by max_boner

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:45:50 PM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: max_boner

I tried this the other night and it worked fine. I followed your exact recipe. I used a copy of anticipation to jam in there when it was still wet and hot. I also bent the pins to make things a little tighter in there. Dirty games still need cleaning though to get them to work, which is expected. 

I used a copy of Anticipation too!

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:34:00 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
^ That's really funny! I used smb/duckhunt - a really ugly one.

I've also discovered that cleaning your dirty games with a spare pin connector works like magic too. Give the pins a rubdown first then just rub the cleaning stuff you normally use on the carts pins liberally then insert the pin connector several times and wiggle it about side to side a bit. I was amazed at how much grime came off after wiping the pis off, even after doing my normal cleaning to them first.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:03:31 AM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
i want to try this but i am going to ad some onions and celery to the mix and maybe some chicken base.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:17:31 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
I tried this yesterday with success, the only variation I made was that I repeated steps 3-4-5 like 4 or 5 times, every time I passed a q-tip over the contacts of the NES game I was using to jam into the connector, I stopped when the q-tip stopped picking up black dirt. I used a hair dryer to dry it.

This particular NES was my original from my childhood, it was pretty dusty inside, and I know at some point me and my brother faced tons of trouble getting games to work, also the connector got some Game Genie abuse along the way, so I'm pretty satisfied with the result

Thanks a lot!!

Edited: 02/22/2012 at 02:18 PM by Abelardo

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:31:46 PM
Korn Cakes (66)
(Alex Beckley) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Haha "stir occasionally." I'm going to have to try this on a couple of connectors that I bought.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:30:31 AM
eric430 (30)
(Eric C) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
This...what? I'm surprised this works. Basically it boils down to (pun intended!) the connector being dirty, and the hot water cleaning away?

Maybe the people who couldn't get it to work didn't stir enough?

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:40:46 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: eric430

This...what? I'm surprised this works. Basically it boils down to (pun intended!) the connector being dirty, and the hot water cleaning away?

Maybe the people who couldn't get it to work didn't stir enough?

I think its mostly just getting all the crap out that other methods failed to do.  Really have no idea why it works so well lol.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:45:50 AM
EuroStreame (1)
(Aaron Fleet) < Tourian Tourist >
Ontario
do you have any idea if this would work on a top loader?

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:39:12 AM
daywalker2k2 (107)
(Marbin Batres) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Well i tried it and man this works lol

Did what the recipe said, the only different things i did was once pin connector wasout i cleaned the pins on the motherboard then got rid of the lockout chip
worked on messed up nes i got from craiglist that system never worked..boiled that mofo and it worked, dont know why lol