Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Beethoven" of video game music a fraud RE soundtrack composer not really a composer

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:52:20 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
I heard this story today during my morning commute on NPR. I'd be amazed if its true that Mamoru was faking deafness for two decades:

Mamoru Samuragochi, a man credited with composing classical music and video game soundtracks, "has admitted [to] hiring someone else to write his music for nearly two decades," the BBC reports.

The 50-year-old Samuragochi was thought to be deaf, drawing comparisons to Beethoven, but that may be untrue as well. "In a surprise twist, the man who says he was the ghost-writer of the works, Takashi Niigaki, claimed in a press conference Thursday that he did not believe the acclaimed composer was deaf at all," according to CNN.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/201...

-------------------------
My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:40:44 PM
Jig (4)
(Josh ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
He purchased the work (surely with full rights) and can do whatever he wants with it - even claim it is his work. Authors (and probably most musicians) do this all the time.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:42:37 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Jig

He purchased the work (surely with full rights) and can do whatever he wants with it - even claim it is his work. Authors (and probably most musicians) do this all the time.

Sure, you can claim it's your work, it's just you will be lying and therefore a fraud.

GRRR!

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:43:22 PM
Jig (4)
Texas
Originally posted by: cradelit

Sure, you can claim it's your work, it's just you will be lying and therefore a fraud.

I don't see anyone calling Stephen King a fraud for using ghost writers and not citing them on the cover.

Edited: 02/06/2014 at 04:43 PM by Jig

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:44:25 PM
Slayter (61)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Maryland

Yup. Which is the whole point of that article.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:50:59 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta

I don't see anyone calling Stephen King a fraud for using ghost writers and not citing them on the cover.

If he claims to have written a book that he didn't write, I call him a fraud.  That is the definition.  Doesn't have to be on the cover though.

GRRR!

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:57:54 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts

If it was discovered that Stephen King's entire literary cataloge was actually written by someone else, you'd bet he'd be called a fraud. The fact that Samuragochi paid for the music is immaterial, he built his career and fame in Japan based on someone else's work. 

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:02:48 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
When famous authors use a ghostwriter legitimately, it will be explained in the notes on the back or somewhere that they made the plot and someone else filled it in, or an explanation of whatever part they played. Having King's name on the front of the book because he approved it or came up with the plot or whatever isn't fraud but listing him as the sole author is if it's a lie.

GRRR!

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:47:51 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
On the original Milli Vanilli album "All or Nothing", no singing credits were given whatsoever, then for the American re-release the vocals and concept for the band were credited to "Brothers of Soul: Rob & Fab", while the real singers Charles Shaw and John Davis are listed as "Backing Vocals", while the real voice of Rob Pilatus, Brad Howell, isn't even credited at all.

That eventually didn't go so hot for Frank Farian's scheme.

R.L. Stein is another "fraud" writer.

Edited: 02/06/2014 at 05:49 PM by Trj22487

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:58:25 PM
Jig (4)
Texas
I think I am on a different page than everyone else. lol

I was concerned with legal fraud. Which the guy didn't commit. However, I agree that this is moral fraud. However, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't done anything immoral.

Edited: 02/06/2014 at 05:59 PM by Jig

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:05:48 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Trj22487

How so?

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:24:40 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta

I think I am on a different page than everyone else. lol

I was concerned with legal fraud. Which the guy didn't commit. However, I agree that this is moral fraud. However, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't done anything immoral.

You'd probably be even harder pressed to find someone who hasn't done anything illegal.  The reason it's notable is because of the scale.

GRRR!

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:24:55 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

How so?

Trj is just mad because he came up with the idea for Goosebumps books in the 80's but RL beat him to the punch.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:30:52 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: empire

How so?

Trj is just mad because he came up with the idea for Goosebumps books in the 80's but RL beat him to the punch.

Lol no, because I bought like 50 of those damn books in the 90's, and watched every episode of the damn show, and it always said "Readers/Viewers beware, you're in for a scare!"
....but y'know what? Never once was I scared! Fraud! I should have been told I would be comically amused and in for an extremely short read!

Funny story about R.L. Stein, I remember in the mid 90's me and my friend somehow got his home phone number for a school book report and got on the phone with him. After a minute he totally snubbed us by saying he had to go walk his dog and he hung up, lmao. I'd kinda forgotten that even happened until I typed that last thing. The friend I wrote that report with died a few years ago too, I wonder if he would have remembered that :/

Haha god I used to get so excited too when my Dad would take me to the bookstore and I'd instantly snipe out the front cover of the latest release and I'd zap right to the shelf like a magnet. I used to always know what the upcoming book was going to be. Hell I used to even have T-shirts! I definitely have an old photo somewhere of me at my Grandparents house wearing a "The Shrunken Head" shirt. I remember I had a "Say Cheese and Die" shirt too and my hamster at the time got loose and chewed a ton of holes into it. Ahh.....good times.

Edited: 02/06/2014 at 06:38 PM by Trj22487

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:35:06 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Actually I don't see how it isn't legal fraud.. He apparently lied to his record label about it in several business deals, and they relied on that information for those deals. I would think they could certainly sue him if they wanted

GRRR!

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:41:49 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire

Actually I don't see how it isn't legal fraud.. He apparently lied to his record label about it in several business deals, and they relied on that information for those deals. I would think they could certainly sue him if they wanted

That's what happened in the Milli Vanilli case I mentioned. Arista Records claimed that had no idea that the group never once stepped foot into the recording studio.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:41:56 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Remember Milli Vanilli.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:54:17 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
They say almost nobody is truly deaf, but instead hearing impaired. Technology has shown most of these people aren't deaf.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:10:30 PM
videogamehunter (56)
(Tyler Bartsch) < Ridley Wrangler >
Kentucky
I heard about this morning and yea. I find it pathetic.

My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/hotanime32   

New Video - Why You Should Get A Retron 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p...

My Drawings - http://videogamehunter.deviantart.com/

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:37:04 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Yeah sadly this isn't as uncommon as it should seem. Many of the most famous pop stars get "their new song" and it is a ready to go package of lyrics and music, choreography, and even video/marketing ideas.

Makes sense, when you see they are touring for 2 years straight, doing interviews and appearances, and releasing albums, that they didn't take the months of focus necessary to do the work for themselves. Still, comes off as deceptive when the general public believes otherwise.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:39:42 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Originally posted by: empire

How so?

Lol no, because I bought like 50 of those damn books in the 90's, and watched every episode of the damn show, and it always said "Readers/Viewers beware, you're in for a scare!"
....but y'know what? Never once was I scared! Fraud! I should have been told I would be comically amused and in for an extremely short read!

Funny story about R.L. Stein, I remember in the mid 90's me and my friend somehow got his home phone number for a school book report and got on the phone with him. After a minute he totally snubbed us by saying he had to go walk his dog and he hung up, lmao. I'd kinda forgotten that even happened until I typed that last thing. The friend I wrote that report with died a few years ago too, I wonder if he would have remembered that :/

Haha god I used to get so excited too when my Dad would take me to the bookstore and I'd instantly snipe out the front cover of the latest release and I'd zap right to the shelf like a magnet. I used to always know what the upcoming book was going to be. Hell I used to even have T-shirts! I definitely have an old photo somewhere of me at my Grandparents house wearing a "The Shrunken Head" shirt. I remember I had a "Say Cheese and Die" shirt too and my hamster at the time got loose and chewed a ton of holes into it. Ahh.....good times.
Is this you?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:23:27 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

Yeah sadly this isn't as uncommon as it should seem. Many of the most famous pop stars get "their new song" and it is a ready to go package of lyrics and music, choreography, and even video/marketing ideas.

Makes sense, when you see they are touring for 2 years straight, doing interviews and appearances, and releasing albums, that they didn't take the months of focus necessary to do the work for themselves. Still, comes off as deceptive when the general public believes otherwise.

This is why I strongly question that Lennon/McCartney was actually able to write all of those songs. But so many people think the 60's was such a "pure" music scene that such an accusation is usually met quite harshly. For instance, Paperback Writer was written by a man named Ian Iachamoe, this is proven by the original lyric paper. Ian Iachamoe, which when spoken onto a tape and played backwards, becomes "Paul McCartney"....how the hell did The Beatles have so much time to discover meaningless things like that? Who would ever even think to say the name Ian Iachamoe into a recorder and play it backwards to see what it becomes? And then from there on there are about 20 distinct backmasks in their later records that create some crazy messages, all which were allegedly created by Lennon/McCartney as well. And for what it's worth, Yoko Ono worked with "Ian Iachamoe" at the Indica Art Gallery in 1966....proving that she didn't know who The Beatles were when she met John Lennon two years later is a crock of shit. Yoko knew McCartney through Indica before she knew Lennon, they directly worked together, and Lennon's story about meeting her cannot have been true. Howard Stern grilled McCartney about this in 2004 and McCartney was clearly tongue tied.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:25:28 AM
Beliskner (1)
< Kraid Killer >
Germany

This exactly. Of course writing a pop song doesn't take that long compared to other genres but still.
With bands that actually have to work hard you can see they only release one album every two or three years. Sometimes it takes even longer. One of the many reasons I prefer genres like progressive rock/metal. You can just hear that it took a long time to write these songs and it really shows in the quality.

Looking for a copy of Sega Rally on the N-Gage

Playstation 3 Collection: 999/1???
Philips Videopac Collection: 67/69
Nintendo 64 European (not PAL!) Collection: C 239/239 - I 126/239 - B 94/239
Sega Master System PAL Collection (CB): 166/269
Sega Dreamcast PAL Collection: 52/216

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:33:18 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Beliskner

This exactly. Of course writing a pop song doesn't take that long compared to other genres but still.
With bands that actually have to work hard you can see they only release one album every two or three years. Sometimes it takes even longer. One of the many reasons I prefer genres like progressive rock/metal. You can just hear that it took a long time to write these songs and it really shows in the quality.
My sentiments exactly. Are pop stars any less talented? Not in my eyes. They still have to sing and sound good, so they're on the same level as any other rock or metal singer in that regard. Not all bands have singers who write the lyrics, and some bands have singers that write all the music (or push it into a specific direction).

Music is a very interesting and diverse craft.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:04:45 AM
Jig (4)
Texas
This was an interesting wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghos...

"In the film industry, a music ghostwriter is a "person who composes music for another composer but is not credited on the cue sheet or in the final product in any way." The practice is considered one of the "dirty little secrets of the film and television music business" that is considered unethical, but has been common since the early stages of the film industry."

Edited: 02/07/2014 at 10:13 AM by Jig