NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

So uh...this walks into the store Stadium Events CIB

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:12:10 AM
ColdStatic (19)
(Alex Hughes) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: EvilEyeball

Seller says on GG that she plans to use the money to pay off her student loans so thats an admirable trait right there to all of those condeming her greed early on in the thread

Yeah, that makes it a lot easier to be glad for her. Also cool that she does play games, even if only casually, instead of just being utterly clueless about the hobby and happening to stumble on this.

-------------------------
Going for a complete US retail PS1 collection!
Always interested in PS1 stuff, commons included. Feel free to PM me any time!

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:06:19 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Last time Yahoo! posted about Stadium Events, it crashed our servers for 2 days

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:54:00 AM
BossK (47)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
I dont want to be a grump ***hole... but.. wait yes i do want to be. This is easily the most upsetting story ive ever read pertaining to collecting. Other stadium events, or NWC's etc.. its one thing when someone just realizes its sitting around in their house and they put 2 and 2 together and realize they have thousands on their hands. This, however was sitting peacefully in a thrift shop just waiting for a collector to stumble upon it and have the achievement of his/her lifetime. Instead some stupid girl presumably goes to goodwill to buy some pots and pans and NBA 2004 for her and her significant others "significant ps2 collection" gets to find it. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!HHH!H!H!HH. Rage out.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:28:13 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: bosskismyhero

I dont want to be a grump ***hole... but.. wait yes i do want to be. This is easily the most upsetting story ive ever read pertaining to collecting. Other stadium events, or NWC's etc.. its one thing when someone just realizes its sitting around in their house and they put 2 and 2 together and realize they have thousands on their hands. This, however was sitting peacefully in a thrift shop just waiting for a collector to stumble upon it and have the achievement of his/her lifetime. Instead some stupid girl presumably goes to goodwill to buy some pots and pans and NBA 2004 for her and her significant others "significant ps2 collection" gets to find it. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!HHH!H!H!HH. Rage out.

Be glad it didn't end up in the trash like the other 99% of these things.

Be glad she actually knew what it was and it didn't end up in some kids hands.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:30:09 PM
BossK (47)
< Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

Be glad it didn't end up in the trash like the other 99% of these things.

Be glad she actually knew what it was and it didn't end up in some kids hands.

would personally have rather it been it the trash. just my opinion. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:55:34 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Really?

That's kinda silly to be honest. It's just Nintendo.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:35:55 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan

Considering that no one has any more entitlement to the game then anyone else what sense does your post make? Should you have found it because you "collect" games? Should you win the lottery because you "need" the money? She found it. She won the lottery in this case. It is neither yours nor anyone else's right to disapprove of her flipping this for a profit. What part of that makes her stupid?

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:49:47 PM
BossK (47)
< Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Maertens29

Considering that no one has any more entitlement to the game then anyone else what sense does your post make? Should you have found it because you "collect" games? Should you win the lottery because you "need" the money? She found it. She won the lottery in this case. It is neither yours nor anyone else's right to disapprove of her flipping this for a profit. What part of that makes her stupid?

actually, it is my right. its called an opinion. everyone is entitled to one. check in to that.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:03:29 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Originally posted by: Dread

Agreed.

What would make a good story is for someone like me to find that. By that I mean anyone like me, not just me, but a collector. I would share the story with the NA community, but that game would never be for sale. It would go into a gem case and sit on my shelf right next to my mint copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I know, I know...life ain't fair. What are the odds a collector who really wants that game for the sake of collecting and can actually appreciate the damn thing for more than it's monitary value will find it? That would make a good story.

I really hate the fact that the people who have this game seem to only care about the money. I have a hard time respecting people who have this game and are simply trying to cash in for as much as humanly possible. At what point do they say, yeah I'm satisfied with that amount? Instead they seem to just want more.

MORE MORE MORE, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I want the world for my NES game! The world! Give me the world!

I like the way you think I would do the same if I were to come across it. Yes, I could use the money. I too have student loans, car payments, blah blah, but you can bet it would be slabbed and hanging on my wall just as fast as I could get it done. I'm sure I could sell 2 or 3 of my carts alone for 500+ bucks by the end of the day, but thats hardly the point. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:06:33 PM
Remedylane (51)
(Matt W.) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
You certainly are entitled to you opinion.  Regardless, it is still gonna end up in the hands of a collector.  The people that can afford this game buy it, the people that can't afford it don't buy it.   And sorry, but the true collectors that cannot afford this game would likely sell it as well if they found it for 8 bucks.     Even if they sold it an then bought just an SE cart.    That is the reality no matter whether or not most of you will admit it or not.  

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:23:08 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

actually, it is my right. its called an opinion. everyone is entitled to one. check in to that.

Mkay.   But opinions can be wrong.    Your post seems to be leaking all kinds of jealousy.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:32:54 PM
TerrHeel (125)
(Terrence Jordan) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I'm not sure why any part of this story could be upsetting to someone. It's good for collectors, because another copy of the game is now known to exist (and in beautiful shape, complete, no less!). It's good for whoever ends up with it, because to pay the amount of money it will take to get it, it will certainly mean you really want it. It's great for the woman, because she can now pay her student loans, in addition to being a mini-celebrity for a little while as the story explodes. It's good for NintendoAge and Save Point Games, because of all the publicity generated from the story. How could you say you'd rather it was in the trash? Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that means that if our opinion is that your opinion stinks, it's our right to have that, too. This is a great story no matter how you look at it.

Edited: 04/20/2013 at 03:34 PM by TerrHeel

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:34:34 PM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Bronty

Mkay.   But opinions can be wrong.    Your post seems to be leaking all kinds of jealousy.

I think he means this would have been a heartwarming tale if a collector stumbled upon this in a shop, someone who would treasure it instead of considering it treasure?

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:35:56 PM
cbrown0806 (27)
(charlie brown) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Article did say she knew what it was worth.

WOW. You gotta say that woman is lucky. The goodwills where I live are employed by, (well you know) and then the sorters usually pick stuff for friends or themsleves.

my For sale and For trade list http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:39:35 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
(Lady Bug) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: p33jay

I think he means this would have been a heartwarming tale if a collector stumbled upon this in a shop, someone who would treasure it instead of considering it treasure?

Who cares about stadium events anyway? As a game not as a collector peice. It's not any fun. Real "treasureing" is like treasuring super mario world for memories of opening the game on Xmas or fond memories of cool levels. I dont know anyone who treasures athletic world. It's all about having a game that others dont. BFD. It's a cool story but comes down only to rarity, worth, and money in any scenario. 

Follow me on Twitter to see underpriced video games

or PM your want list

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:39:50 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Its got nothing to do with warming the heart when he's suggesting it would have been better if it had been destroyed, which he did say above.   My .02.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:40:43 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Ladybug-pug

Who cares about stadium events anyway? As a game not as a collector peice. It's not any fun. Real "treasureing" is like treasuring super mario world for memories of opening the game on Xmas or fond memories of cool levels. I dont know anyone who treasures athletic world. It's all about having a game that others dont. BFD. It's a cool story but comes down only to rarity, worth, and money in any scenario. 

who cares about donkey kong jr math or any number of other titles then?  Have you tried playing black box baseball?  Its putrid.    Doesn't mean I don't love my copy though.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:44:21 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California

So your all emo cuz an innocent woman made an epic find that will fund her student loan payments. What a horrible situation huh. I honestly hope she makes a killing. It's funny how big ticket item sellers always get scrutinized, its just collectors jealousy and envy. Its sad. Do whatever the hell you want with your shit its your stuff.

Look I'd be upset if it was found and someone peed on it and shredded it but that isn't happening. It was discovered and in near mint condition, now getting auctioned and going to a deserving collector. If anything, this is huge for our hobby. Stop crying.

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:44:45 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States

who cares about donkey kong jr math or any number of other titles then?  Have you tried playing black box baseball?  Its putrid.    Doesn't mean I don't love my copy though.

I know. But people are phrasing this situation like there are those who deserve games and those who dont. It would be sad if a collector who only had interest in owning a copy for nostalgea and playing couldnt get it but when it comes to SE it has nothing to do with playing and everything to do with value in which case it's just a posession that has extreme value, not a priceless childhood heirloom 

or PM your want list

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:44:53 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Don't forget 10 Yard Fight. As a game, it is absolute shit. So are half of the Black Box games. But damn if they dont look sexy on a shelf!

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:49:11 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

I know. But people are phrasing this situation like there are those who deserve games and those who dont. It would be sad if a collector who only had interest in owning a copy for nostalgea and playing couldnt get it but when it comes to SE it has nothing to do with playing and everything to do with value in which case it's just a posession that has extreme value, not a priceless childhood heirloom 

Oh I see what you were saying now.    Right.   I just don't even go down that road because I just stop right at the concept of "deserving games" at affordable prices and my brain explodes.   Its amazing how many communists there are in collecting.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:50:07 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Redivivus

Don't forget 10 Yard Fight. As a game, it is absolute shit. So are half of the Black Box games. But damn if they dont look sexy on a shelf!

true on both counts!    I also enjoy my mario time machine but lord knows I'm not playing that game any time soon!

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:51:01 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah

Originally posted by: Redivivus

true on both counts!    I also enjoy my mario time machine but lord knows I'm not playing that game any time soon!

Dont forget Mario Is Missing!

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:54:46 PM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

Its got nothing to do with warming the heart when he's suggesting it would have been better if it had been destroyed, which he did say above.   My .02.

did NOT see the destruction part... yeah no that's just jealousy

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:59:08 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States

Oh I see what you were saying now.    Right.   I just don't even go down that road because I just stop right at the concept of "deserving games" at affordable prices and my brain explodes.   Its amazing how many communists there are in collecting.

I'v always found that hard work plus luck equals great finds. Missing out on a great deal sucks but that's how it works. Sometimes you win, sometimes you dont. I wish I was sealed game collecting 10-15 years ago like bronty but there's not much I can do about it now can I?

or PM your want list