Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Tecmo Super Bowl Contest ends Sunday, 3/2/14 at 11 PM NA time

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:37:37 PM
The Bear (57)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Even though this is above and beyond my favorite game of all-time (just retired a website where I played competitively with friends and onliners for 5+ years), I am going to sit this one out.

For this type of contest I would definitely eliminate the NT dive/lurching rule. Actually, to make things easier just eliminate DL use as a whole on defense (NT, DE, nothing).

For those struggling with defense, use Martin Mayhew and Darrell Green (both the bottom & top cornerbacks). They are pretty much the only people on the Redskins defense that are worth a damn. Darrell Green's INT is very low though (but he's very fast), so QB Bills will likely complete coverage catches on you a lot. Mayhew's INT is 69, so he'll have a much better time in coverage.

If the Bills have their original playbook intact, they are pretty easy to stop the run because most of the runs suck for Thurman.

On offense, to score a lot of points, especially with the Redskins- I would only pass. Make your 2 primary targets Gary Clark & Ricky Sanders. Gary Clark's rec is 75 and his speed is pretty good (50 MS, I think)? But Ricky Sanders has that patented 44 RS - 56 MS combination that make for a great jump ball combination. Also, make sure that you check conditions after every quarter! With shitty QBs such as Mark Rypien & Stan Humphries, it's pretty important to see who goes into bad, average, good, or excellent.

Tecmo Super Bowl is the most intricate, yet simple sports game. There's so much that goes behind gameplanning, timing, play picking, who to control, what angles to take on offense & defense, etc.

Good luck to everyone playing.

-------------------------

Creator of Bits & GloryYouTube | Twitch | TwitterInstagram | Facebook

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:49:17 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Can you decipher that for people who don't do football?

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:13:24 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Lincoln

not bad for first attempt, and considering I only had 7 points in Q1. afaik I'm playing by the rules

Dude, is that the bank that came with Batman cereal? You deserve a couple extra points for that piece of awesomeness!

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:14:18 PM
The Bear (57)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The easiest explanation of what I typed would be this...

Rule Suggestions

Don't let anyone use defensive lineman (the 3 people closest to the offense) to prevent the dive glitching/lurching. I agree with that rule for this contest.

Gameplay Help

On defense use Martin Mayhew (bottom corner back) to stop passes, and Darrel Green (top corner back) to stop runs.

On offense throw to Gary Clark (#84) & Ricky Sanders (#83).

---

I just read through the rules more and realized they aren't allowing any substitions, so completely disregard my quarterback swapping theory. Also, you guys are stuck with an awful playbook with the Redskins.

Good luck! Nice to see this game get some love.

Edited: 02/25/2014 at 03:15 PM by The Bear

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:22:57 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Thanks for the clarification.

While I feel like I am somewhat in control of the characters on offensive plays, I still don't feel like I have any real deciding influence on defense.

Oh well

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:25:23 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: The Bear

The easiest explanation of what I typed would be this...

Rule Suggestions

Don't let anyone use defensive lineman (the 3 people closest to the offense) to prevent the dive glitching/lurching. I agree with that rule for this contest.

Gameplay Help

On defense use Martin Mayhew (bottom corner back) to stop passes, and Darrel Green (top corner back) to stop runs.

On offense throw to Gary Clark (#84) & Ricky Sanders (#83).

---

I just read through the rules more and realized they aren't allowing any substitions, so completely disregard my quarterback swapping theory. Also, you guys are stuck with an awful playbook with the Redskins.

Good luck! Nice to see this game get some love.

You should play man! And he's right about Darrell Green. Don't really mess with Mayhew,I just let him do his thing. And Mark Rypien seems to connect best with Ricky Sanders as I don't seem to get nearly as many dropped passes when I throw to him.

Edited: 02/25/2014 at 05:37 PM by gutsman004

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:37:53 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
I will give my 2 cents on my strategy since is seems most go with the pass heavy offense with a dismal QB.

To be honest, there are only 2 plays I don't like on the Redskins playbook, the Clark Reverse and the Rollout Pass. Both take entirely to long to develop and tick precious seonds off the clock. The reason I like their playbook is because my strategy is ball control and clock management.

I pretty much rush the entire game. I like to use a combination of sweeps to open up the middle handoffs. It's not uncommon for me to rack up between 300-400 rushing yards a game. If you check out my score submission in previous post, I had 11 carries for 303 yards (Roughly 27.5 yards per carry). I would guess most of my drives average about 4 plays before I score a TD. If the computer starts to heavily gaurd the run, I use the play action pass to Sanders for big gains. Clock management is pretty simple because I usually follow the sideline. If time is short and I have a defender catching me, I can just step out of bounds and run the next play.

Pretty much, all I did on defense was pick the single back formation with the handoff to the right to Thomas and used the top saftey to cover passes or to keep Thomas in check on the pitch play. Where I would get burned was on the play action pass because I would overpursue the play on the pitch and Reed would get wide open. I will probably experiment with other stratgies tonight with CBs, but I like the safety because it gives me the most room to adjust to the speedy Thomas.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:44:52 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Thanks for the tips Bear, and Guts is right you should play! So what if you destroy everybody here, its just for fun.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:23:19 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

not bad for first attempt, and considering I only had 7 points in Q1. afaik I'm playing by the rules

Dude, is that the bank that came with Batman cereal? You deserve a couple extra points for that piece of awesomeness!

It's a Batman bank with Michael Keaton's likeness. I've had it since that movie came out but I don't recall where it came from. I stood him up for my latest photo.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:51:56 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: guillavoie

The video posted is a good visual explanation, but I must admit that I couldn't explain how to do it clearly right now being a well-mannered gentleman who hasn't really played Super Tecmo Bowl in my life.

I fixed that for you

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:54:46 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: deathrock83

The video posted is a good visual explanation, but I must admit that I couldn't explain how to do it clearly right now being a well-mannered gentleman who hasn't really played Super Tecmo Bowl in my life.

I fixed that for you

Hahaha, I hope your correction is closer to the truth than my original statement.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:56:41 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan

Hahaha, I hope your correction is closer to the truth than my original statement.

Let all behold that, for once, I am correct

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:05:01 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
I've never really had a problem throwing to Art Monk actually so I would rotate between him and Ricky Sanders on the pass 4 play. Every now and then, Earnest Byner would get open on the pass 3 play and would throw to him in 3rd down situations. I actually use Walton on Def since I can have him stunt on run plays to try and contain Thurman Thomas (esp. his shotgun snap to Thomas) but mostly to cover the bottom area since QB Bills (Jim Kelly) tends to throw to Andre Reed or even Thomas (in the times I've played). Mark Rypien doesn't have the strongest arm so I usually throw it after 20 yrds for big plays and just try and out manuever the defense. But, yeah, that end around play to Clark just kills the clock so I'd stay away from that.

Edit: lol, Mary Rypien was my original typo...maybe its fitting.

Edited: 02/26/2014 at 08:37 AM by Caleb47

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:51:27 AM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Caleb47

I've never really had a problem throwing to Art Monk actually

Ya I don't have a problem with Art either. I only throw to him on when he is open, maybe I waste too much time swapping where I throw the ball but I don't know.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:04:59 AM
The Bear (57)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania

Thanks for the tips Bear, and Guts is right you should play! So what if you destroy everybody here, its just for fun.

Haha, I'm sure I wouldn't destroy everyone in this contest. The computer can be incredibly cheap and the game can be so fickle sometimes. Maybe I'll give this a go on Sunday before the deadline, unfortunately I'm really busy. I've been meaning to finish the last hour+ of Addams Family Values on the SNES for 2 weeks now. I'll try to sneak in a try though before the deadline if I can!

Just happy to see this game get some love!

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:21:17 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

It's a Batman bank with Michael Keaton's likeness. I've had it since that movie came out but I don't recall where it came from. I stood him up for my latest photo.

That cereal tasted like ass by the way.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:49:14 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ Wasn't it basically Captain Crunch formed into bats?

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:10:23 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

^^^ Wasn't it basically Captain Crunch formed into bats?

It looked similar but tasted nothing like Captain Crunch, more like cardboard with milk. I remember all the cereal fom that company tasting terrible, the only thing worth buying that shiznit for was the bank. They made all the themed cereals from movies or cartoons, I'm pretty sure they even made the Mario/Zelda cereal back in the day too.

Yeah they did actually, and I'll stop hijacking the contest with my cereal history now. Lol

Edited: 02/26/2014 at 12:17 PM by BriGuy82

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:07:28 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^Definitely don't want to topic stray too much here,just wanted to add that the cereal above tasted like tree limbs.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:25:42 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
^you mean like Kashi? I swear they just throw in whatever they find on a forest floor and call it cereal.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:37:33 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
-18 He shoots he scores a participation point.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:57:07 PM
razeak (11)
(Scott Edwards) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I'm having a blast with this, but I'm starting to develop a real life dislike for Thurman Thomas lol. JK.

Xbox Live: razeak
PSN: cayrazeak
WiiU: razeak
3DS: 3067-5036-9177 razeak

Currently Playing:

Strider PS4
Lego Hobbit WiiU
Mario Kart 8 WiiU
Mega Man 3 NES

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:50:01 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

Edited: 03/01/2014 at 07:19 PM by BriGuy82

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:51:10 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

+42

Thurman got lucky and broke one off, I'll fix his wagon by the end of the week. I don't remember stiff-ass Jim Kelly being a runner either? Is that the the beginning of the read option? Lol

I noticed that Kelly takes off a bit too. Once he throw like a 86 yard pass to Reed and I swear he was WAY beyond the line of scrimmage.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:04:02 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
^

Yeah, I've seen that bastard cross the line and throw a bomb too! Well at least they stayed true to Norwood's abilities though. From 30+ yards out he's about 50/50.

Edited: 02/26/2014 at 07:05 PM by BriGuy82