Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Vote: Category Organization Changes Change it? Keep it as-is? Rock the Vote!

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:34:44 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
So there have been a few threads lately asking for a few new categories as well as the organization of those categories, so I thought I'd create two concepts that are relatively simple to implement. There are two images attached to this thread -- Option 1 and Option 2, so if you vote on one of those, you'll be able to see what the categories page will look like.

Option 1 allows for better expansion without creating a monster page that scrolls forever.

Option 2 creates more traditional-style groupings of sub-forums.

Feel free to offer up other suggestions.

Edited: 10/21/2009 at 10:35 AM by Dain

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:38:22 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Option 2, no new subforum for NA auctions and yes to the Prototype section.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:41:25 AM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Keep as is, no, and no.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:43:15 AM
mcetak8 (100)
(-- Kate --) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
No to the subforum concept, and yes to the prototype section.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:44:32 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Keep it as is.
Don't really care either way, it's great how it is.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:48:51 AM
chupaskabra (88)
(Antonio Valdez) < El Ripper >
Texas
i think NA is fine how it is.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:52:09 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
I like option 2.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:11:34 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
I absolutely LOVE the prototype forum idea! I will make it a personal mission to keep it as busy as any of our other sub forums found on NA.

I actually really like option 1 and the idea of an auction forum, but I go live without both. The only poll I feel strongly about is the proto forum. I think it would rule.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:28:38 AM
tuxedocivic (94)
(Ryan Bouma) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia
Everything seems to work tickity tock, but that option 2 looks good to me. I put no to the auction subforum, because it can be done in the BST. I put I don't care about the protos section, because I don't care Kinda like the brewery, I never go in there. But a lot of other do, so if there are people that could use a protos section, by all means, doesn't bother me

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:40:56 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

I absolutely LOVE the prototype forum idea! I will make it a personal mission to keep it as busy as any of our other sub forums found on NA.

Same here!  If you do go ahead with a prototype forum, I can guarantee that it will be packed full of awesome info and threads.

Very happy to see so many others interested in this sub forum!

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:41:36 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Option 2, Yes to auctions, Yes to Proto forum.

The organization looks cool . I think an NA Auctions subforum might be worth a shot. If it doesn't work, at least we tried. As for a protos forum? Well, it may not see a lot of activity, but neither does the brewery and we keep that one going. I say put it in!

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:53:39 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Keep as is..

Yes to auction subforum, only if you get a small percentage of the sales... Help you fund ahte costs associated with NA.. yeah I know alot of people say well then what's different the Ebay or Chase, but a separate subforum for auction would give the auction that are currently running more exposure.. But

Yes to the proto subforum..

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:59:55 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I say leave it as is for everything. I am ok with a proto sub if it actually gets used and stays active by lots of people.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:07:23 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
I picked option 2 but am fine with keeping it the way it is don't like 1 really at all.

yes to auction page

BIG YES to prototype/demo/etc sub forum

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:07:40 PM
Airlock (19)
(- Gordon -) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Option 2, or leave as it is. Option 2 does seem to add another layer of organization, though... which could be nice.

Indifferent about the auctions. They could stay in B/S/T, or have their own thing. Either way.

Seeing that some people are big time into the idea for a prototype/demo category, I say go for it.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:08:20 PM
vader99 (74)
(Your mother) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: PSerge

Keep as is..

Yes to auction subforum, only if you get a small percentage of the sales... Help you fund ahte costs associated with NA.. yeah I know alot of people say well then what's different the Ebay or Chase, but a separate subforum for auction would give the auction that are currently running more exposure.. But

Yep I agree with giving some to NA but I don't really know if we should force it onto people. I mean it's on your conscience and usually most people on here would give anyways without being forced to anyways. I think that if someone said that they would donate some to NA the price might go a little higher than normal

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:08:21 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
2 looks cleaner, with the groupings you instantly know if this is commerce, gaming, development or site related.

the NA auction was a yes for me, but it was close. it's SO close to B,S,T - but the more I thought about it, it's community specific and deserves it's own spotlight.

would "Finders, Keepers" be in neighborhood instead of the marketplace, as it's more antidotal stories rather than business (auction, NA auction, price check)?

I never thought about the site, but the more I'm on it, the more I look at it as a developing community, it's f-ing amazing!!!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:20:44 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta

1) Option 2 looks the best.

2) I like this idea - NA Auctions tend to get drown out in the B/S/T forum.

3) A huge No to the Proto subforum... Do we really need a subforum that only 1% of the community (or less) will use? I have a strong feeling that the only people that will actually post regularly in it are Beaglepuss, Mr.Mark, and maybe one or two other people.

I'm not putting down Protos or anything, they're cool as hell, but it's such a Niche thing that I can guarentee you right now that it will get practically zero use after the novelty has worn off in a couple weeks.

I'm stupified that it has gotten 31 yes's, to be perfectly honest.

Edited: 10/21/2009 at 12:27 PM by AllYourBass

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:22:40 PM
Kooonsty (18)
(Joe K) < El Ripper >
Illinois
2, yes, and no

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:26:06 PM
mcetak8 (100)
(-- Kate --) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: AllYourBase

A huge No to the Proto subforum... Do we really need a subforum that only 1% of the community (or less) will use? I have a strong feeling that the only people that will actually post regularly in it are Beaglepuss, Mr.Mark, and maybe one or two other people. I'm not putting down Protos or anything, they're cool as hell, but it's SUCH a niche thing that it will get practically zero use. I'm stupified that it has gotten 31 yes's, to be perfectly honest.

Since you're against it, everyone else should be?  I own no protos, I don't want to collect protos, I will never own a proto.  Having said that, I would visit the Proto part of the forum everyday were it to exist.  I find them incredibly interesting, and I get excited every time I see a new proto post from Mr. Mark or whoever it may be.  I like learning about all aspects of gaming, and I think a section devoted entirely to protos would help generate participation greatly (as far as protype discussion goes).  Right now, you either have to hunt and peck for info on a few threads here, or visit another site.  So I vote for it twofold.  For people like me who would participate and be extremely interested and to keep people here and build an even bigger user base.

Edited: 10/21/2009 at 12:26 PM by mcetak8

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:32:26 PM
Bella (104)
(Bellatrix Lestrange) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alabama
2, yes, yes

Im not into protos but a lot of people here are. No problems here with donating part of auction sales to NA

I have bigger balls than any man out there... They just sit two feet higher!

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:42:55 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: mcetak8

A huge No to the Proto subforum... Do we really need a subforum that only 1% of the community (or less) will use? I have a strong feeling that the only people that will actually post regularly in it are Beaglepuss, Mr.Mark, and maybe one or two other people. I'm not putting down Protos or anything, they're cool as hell, but it's SUCH a niche thing that it will get practically zero use. I'm stupified that it has gotten 31 yes's, to be perfectly honest.

Since you're against it, everyone else should be?  I own no protos, I don't want to collect protos, I will never own a proto.  Having said that, I would visit the Proto part of the forum everyday were it to exist.  I find them incredibly interesting, and I get excited every time I see a new proto post from Mr. Mark or whoever it may be.  I like learning about all aspects of gaming, and I think a section devoted entirely to protos would help generate participation greatly (as far as protype discussion goes).  Right now, you either have to hunt and peck for info on a few threads here, or visit another site.  So I vote for it twofold.  For people like me who would participate and be extremely interested and to keep people here and build an even bigger user base.

Hey, now. LIke I said in my post, I think Protos are cool too. In no way am I putting down Prototypes or their collectors. I always visit prototype threads too... They're some of the most interesting things on the forum, hands down.

What I was trying to get across is that, even if you do visit the Proto subforum every day, after the first few weeks of novelty has worn off, there will not be daily posting in that section. There just isn't enough protos to talk about. Sure, when a new Proto shows up, that thread will get attention... But, it would have gotten attention if it was posted in "Collector's Corner" too. Plus, how often does a new NES proto show up? Every few weeks? Months even? In the time between those protos being found, the Subforum will generally be a ghost town for new posts.

And finally, a Proto subforum will certainly not "build a bigger user base." Maybe we'd get a few new users, but like I said before, protos are about as Niche as you can get.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:48:10 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

3) A huge No to the Proto subforum... Do we really need a subforum that only 1% of the community (or less) will use? I have a strong feeling that the only people that will actually post regularly in it are Beaglepuss, Mr.Mark, and maybe one or two other people.

I'm not putting down Protos or anything, they're cool as hell, but it's such a Niche thing that I can guarentee you right now that it will get practically zero use after the novelty has worn off in a couple weeks.

I think you're considering prototype owners instead of prototype enthusiast.  Not only do we have collectors like Mark and myself, but also plenty of members that just find them interesting.  Keep in mind that Ian was the one that initially suggested the idea. 

There are a TON of members here that actively collect prototypes, so I don't think it will just be the two of us chatting away.  From what I understand there's some "DreamTR" fellow that is apparently into that sort of stuff too.

DP has a very active prototype sub forum, and in my eyes it's the best part of the message board there.  There are daily post, discoveries, and discussions.  That sub-forum has been alive and well for YEARS, and the novelty doesn't seem to have fizzled out yet.

I think the results speak for themselves, and I'm amped that I'm not the only member looking forward to the new sub-forum.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:02:03 PM
CUSTOM NES GUY (90)
(Jared CNG) < King Solomon >
Georgia
2, yes, and yes.

Facebook.com/Customnesguy   All my custom NES's to date-http://youtube.com/user/jayrod2...

I thought I was an overpacker, that thing could have survived a nuclear explosion.  -zeldaboy

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:16:47 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

I think you're considering prototype owners instead of prototype enthusiast.  Not only do we have collectors like Mark and myself, but also plenty of members that just find them interesting.  Keep in mind that Ian was the one that initially suggested the idea. 

There are a TON of members here that actively collect prototypes, so I don't think it will just be the two of us chatting away.  From what I understand there's some "DreamTR" fellow that is apparently into that sort of stuff too.

DP has a very active prototype sub forum, and in my eyes it's the best part of the message board there.  There are daily post, discoveries, and discussions.  That sub-forum has been alive and well for YEARS, and the novelty doesn't seem to have fizzled out yet.

I think the results speak for themselves, and I'm amped that I'm not the only member looking forward to the new sub-forum.

You must've missed my last post - I find Protos interesting too. I'm always excited when I hear about a new proto being discovered.

I know Dream collects protos. I didn't say that it would be just You and Mr.Mark talking in the subforum together. Please re-read my original post.

And, thank you for pointing out the DP Proto forum, it will illustrate my point nicely.

The DP prototype forum concerns Prototypes from every single system... not just Nintendo systems. Plus, DP has a far larger user base than NA does. And still, there's a thread on the First Page of the DP Proto subforum whose last post was August 18th. That's over two months. I do not consider a forum that can't bump a thread off the first page over a full 2 Full Month period "Very Active".

Now, take those factors and apply them to a NintendoAge Proto Forum. NA has a smaller user base, and the Proto discussion will be cut down from 10-20 systems to 2-3 systems, due to the nature of this being a Nintendo site. So, how long will it take for a thread to leave the first page in the Proto section in NA if it takes over 2 months on DP? Six months maybe?

I rest my case.