Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Two pins The reason why we have crappy NES music

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:08:56 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I have the "Dracula Best" soundtrack from Konami, which contains the music from Castlevania 1, 2, and 3. I had always assumed that they "prettied" it up a bit from the original games, as the music has more instruments and depth than what is presented in the NES games.

I knew that the Japanese version of Castlevania III supposedly had better music, so I decided to boot it up yesterday.

Holy crap! The music sounds just like the CD! I can't believe how ripped off we were in North America. I did a side by side test with the US version and it's no contest. It makes the US music sound like beeps and boops.

The superior music is due to custom sound chips in the game itself, accessed by the Famicom via two pins on the cart connector. Two measly pins. Nintendo of America found room to add 10 pins for the useless external connector on the bottom and 4 pins for the 10NES lockout chip, but they couldn't squeeze two more pins to allow custom hardware in games?

Thanks, Nintendo.

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:15:13 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
You can't have extra sound on the castlevania game, but if you do the resistor mod, you can get MMC5 sounds. Then just hack your own MMC5 engine into castlevania and your good go.

(No this isn't easier, but maybe someone should try it? )

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:22:43 PM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Wow.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:23:09 PM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Clips for comparison

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:32:22 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I almost don't want to believe that the Famicom version's music is real

I can't believe they wasted the pins on the "expansion port" but didn't allow for the extra sound chips.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:19:01 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
ugh. we have triangle wave for our bass sound. they have... bass. damn it. they have a few extra channels as well. AND they have sound envelopes that go beyond the 4 cycles we have.

i hear a lot more than 4 channels and a samples (using vrc6 or 7?). oh, the tragedy.

(http://www.shauninman.com/assets/... for reference)

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:55:34 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Japan always seems to get the best shit. It's not fair

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:01:22 AM
8bitdreams (166)
(Antonio N.) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: elhector

Japan always seems to get the best shit. It's not fair

Penis size over real bass.  We win.

My for sale thread:  http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
My eBay store:  http://stores.ebay.com/inyour8bit...;

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:30:18 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
^ +1

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:44:09 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I'm surprised few people knew this. I learned of it back in the mid90s when doing my NES hack/rom shenanigans. The VRC6 with Castlevania 3 has a few more sound channels going for it, and those 2 pins you speak of allow that to relay out of the system. Many famicom titles sounded like the NES, but those who had a custom chip VRC or whatever, it spanked the crap out of what we got which sucks.