Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Super Tilt Bro. for NES Smashbros-like on the NES

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:43:58 PM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Woot, we successfully played a remote game for the first time! It concludes my network experiment as a success.

I have learned some things with this experiment:
  • It is actually possible to do real time gaming on the NES (even if I currently use a non-existent on-board chip)
  • It is still challenging. If latency compensation is a little off, it can ruin the experience
  • We cannot do any miracle against really big latency (sorry Ferris Bueller, there will be no transcontinental tests   )

My plans are now more clear. The next step is to release the v1.0, it will be more or less the current beta-6 with some improved animations. I will not sell it online, but everyone is free to grab the ROM and burn it in a cart. On the v1.0 basis, I will work on a user-friendly network demo, once again free download. After that, it will be time to work toward the v2.

Finally, here is the video of the first remote session of Super Tilt Bro. (It is in french, if you do not want to here me making up excuses for my poor plays, mute audio =) )

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:00:40 AM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France

Super Tilt Bro. physical edition

We have the date! The first edition of Super Tilt Bro will come October, 27.

The plan did not change, it is a mini-edition of nine cartridges, only distributed at local events. Cartridges will be entirely "home-brewed". As a final learning exercise, all soldering, printing and assembling is done by hand, at home. However, there is more and more demand for online orders. If production goes well and the game is well received, I will contact all of you who expressed interest to start a second batch.

We are not native English speakers, so we need your help with the manual. We translated it the best we could, but are still concerned about using weird sentences. So, here is a digital edition of the manual, if you see anything strange or without meaning, please let us know: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1...

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 09:01 AM by RogerBidon

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:37:12 AM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Thanks to BacteriaMage, here is a new version of the manual with better wording: https://drive.google.com/open?id=...

Do not hesitate if you still see anything wrong  

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:22:42 PM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
The second batch will be!

I will make a second batch of cartridges. Still handcrafted by me, this batch will be available for online orders. The target date is "before new year 2019".

I do not make Super Tilt Bro. to become rich, but I can find use for the money (getting more development hardware). So, the pricing will be "pay what you want" above production costs. Production costs should be around $16 for the cartridge and the manual wrapped in a transparent dust sleeve. Shipping internationally (outside France) should be around $11. The minimal price should be around $27 (shipping included).

Please let me know in PM if you are interested, I will size this batch on requests received before November. Once cartridges are produced, I will recontact each of you to get your shipping address (and your money   )

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:31:10 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Yay!  

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:46:00 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
I'm in!

-------------------------
"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:50:00 AM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Thank you Fleck586, I will contact you when cartridges are ready to ship.

Also, from digging this thread, I have neodolphino, RegularGuyGamer, dragonwarrior83 and Ausden. If any of you changed mind, please let me know (so that I do not produce unsold cartridges)

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:52:09 AM
friedeje191 (26)

< Crack Trooper >
Sent a pm

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:51:26 AM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Reminder that there are two weeks left to reserve your copy of Super Tilt Bro. To reserve a copy, simply drop me a PM, so that I can produce a cartridge for you.

Target is still December this year. It will cost me around $27 per cartridge to produce and ship, you still can pay what you want above that price. Cartridges will come with a color manual bundled in a crystal dust sleeve.

Edited: 10/13/2018 at 09:54 AM by RogerBidon

Feb 07 at 12:49:17 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
This game is great, dude. I can't believe how responsive everything is. I thought it was going to be a lot simpler when I first saw it, there's so many moves for 2 buttons! If I had two suggestions, we need harder AI for those of us without friends, and a quick tap to fall down through a platform would be helpful. Definitely keeping an eye on updates now that I've played it.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Feb 07 at 2:18:07 AM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Woh, thanks for the feedback! I definitely note your suggestions and am happy that you love the game

Feb 07 at 9:43:56 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Got my copy. Great stuff, mang!

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Feb 07 at 11:19:58 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Fantastic game, so much so that my 19-year-old SSB fanatic son absolutely loved it! We had lotsa fun playing it, thank you so so much!

Feb 08 at 9:21:20 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
I also got my copy, haven't had a chance to pop it in yet! I hear there may be secrets inside.....  

Mar 01 at 12:22:29 PM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Quick drop here for two things:

First, after processing pre-orders, I have three spare copies. They are available for order at the bottom of the Super Tilt Bro.'s itch.io page. It is your last chance. After that, I will not make new copies.

Also, thank you DefaultGen for your video review! It is by far the most complete review and an excellent video by itself.

Mar 01 at 12:40:32 PM
Broke Studio (1)
< Crack Trooper >
France
Woooh nice !  

Mar 01 at 2:05:46 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Cool, I made Archon buy one!

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Mar 01 at 2:59:47 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California
Anyone making boxes for this one?

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Mar 01 at 3:43:21 PM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Ha ha! I was trying to sell physical copies on itch.io for the first time ... It seems they expect the buyer to try to download the game before asking for the shipping address  

I sent an email to buyers, if you do not see it, please tell me ... Or download the game and fill your shipping address (That's so lame that I laugh at it  )

May 07 at 11:40:19 PM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France

Just a few words before this big post. This is a technical highlight. I promised to keep talking about interesting challenges during Super Tilt Bro.'s development. It comes at a slower pace than I expected, but here it is: a new technical highlight... Maybe a bit more technical than the previous ones. Enjoy the read  

Technical highlight: Beginning the work on v2, rethinking positions

All Super Tilt Bro. cartridges are now shipped. It is time to begin to work on the second version. It all begins with in-depth refactoring. Let's fix version 1's shortcomings before making a better game. We will begin by changing the way we handle positions.

The NES generates 256x240 pictures. Nice! We can describe any on-screen position with two bytes: one 8-bits unsigned integer for the horizontal component and another for the vertical component. In Super Tilt Bro. v1, if you go out of screen, you die. Technically, you will always be on screen, so this simple "one byte per component" system is enough.

Some objects, like characters, need more flexibility. In this case, we can add a second byte, the sub-pixel position. It becomes a fixed point number, allowing to have finer-grained positions for this object. It is especially useful when it comes to movement speed, we can easily move such an object by 1.5 pixels per frame.

This system works well, but has two shortcomings.

The first is technical, and we can live with it: signed and unsigned integers don't mix well. Indeed, when we have two on-screen points, subtracting one by another and you get a vector... At least that's what my math teachers told me. Actually, with this system, we subtract two unsigned integers. It is flawless while the result is positive. When the result is negative, since we work with unsigned numbers, we overflow. There is always a path to work with it, but sometimes it is a pain.

The second problem has no workaround, Super Tilt Bro. v1 was released with it: allowing the character to go slightly off-screen before dying makes the game more pleasant. With this positioning system everywhere in the game (characters, hitboxes, platforms, particles,...), we cannot simply implement the concept of "out of screen" without reworking a good part of the engine. Super Tilt Bro. v1 just does not understand the idea of "out of screen". By the way, in its logic, we do not die "when we go out of screen" (it is meaningless), but "when we are moving to the left and finish on the right of the screen".

To solve these shortcomings, the positioning system is rethought. Instead of storing a component in an unsigned byte, a two-bytes signed integer is used. The most significant byte is the screen byte, the least significant one is the pixel byte. Of course, objects needing a fine-grained position can add a sub-pixel byte.

This new system avoids mixing signed and unsigned integers and opens the way to let characters go off-screen. That's nice. Moreover, we have lots of space. One byte for the screen, there is 256 possible screens. If, one day, we want to add an adventure mode based on scrolling, it would be feasible.

This change comes at a cost. Storing positions requires more RAM while computing it puts more load on the CPU. Happily for CPU budget, there was a big optimization done while refactoring animations. It is much more impacting than some 16-bits additions.

Most of it was done during a mini marathon. You will find the resulting ROM here: http://supertiltbro.wontfix.it/fi...

Do not hesitate to give me feedback about how it impacts the game's feel, or some bug reports.

While I was doing this marathon, I posted my daily progress on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RogerBidon/st... Tell me if this kind of report is interesting for you. I will surely do it again, I loved it.

Edited: 05/08/2019 at 12:23 AM by RogerBidon

May 08 at 2:08:27 AM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
I read your Twitter progress report; most interesting, thank you! I'm totally amped for version 2.0. Question: why Super Tilt Bro? Why not Super Tilt Bros.?

May 08 at 4:36:43 AM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Because there is only one character and, at the time, no plan to add more  

May 08 at 12:07:12 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
Originally posted by: RogerBidon

Because there is only one character and, at the time, no plan to add more  
Ah, yes of course.  BUT, since you have more room to work with now, might you be able to add at least one more character?  That would be pretty swell!

May 08 at 12:50:28 PM
dragonwarrior83 (36)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
I agree another character or 2 would be nice, maybe with a different weapon? I would buy another copy.

Got all 4 Dragon Warriors CIB, Thanks Everyone. Now looking for Dragon Quest ( Famicom ) 1, 2, and 3. Also a box and guide for Earthbound.

May 08 at 2:42:12 PM
RogerBidon (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
France
Yes, I plan to add characters =) To keep on the "open source macots" theme, I'd love to be able to integrate Sara from OpenGameArt, she would be awesome as a mage. Slower, but ranged.

The name "Super Tilt Bro." will be completely off   May need to rename it "Super Tilt Crew"