Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reccomendations for a Composite/S-Video supported USB recording device For recording/streaming gameplay of various retro consoles

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:52:51 PM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a USB (2.0 or 3.0, but 3.0 preferred) recording device with S-Video, Composite, and L/R RCA Audio inputs for recording and (possibly) streaming of gameplay of retro consoles. Feel free to provide any reccomendations, but I would most prefer said devices have these features;

-240p support, and being able to auto detect 240p and 480i
-Show a window of the live video signal being sent into the inputs
-Have the option of an internal recorder program within said window
-No cutoff on any part of the picture

Feel free to reccomend any ones you know, though I would like it if they/it had the features above.

-------------------------

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:54:31 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Your best bet is probably going to be the ElGato Game Capture HD. It's about the right balance of price and performance plus featuring what you're looking for. Anything else and you're starting to look at $200-300 just for the device, which is far too much for an external device IMO.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:08:58 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
I have the Elgato Game Capture HD. I got mine from a flea market, complete in package. Used it a couple times and it worked. I do plan to use it a bit more in the future.

It's exactly what you want.

***DO NOT*** get the "HD60" or "HD Pro." Those are HDMI only

Edited: 07/27/2017 at 06:10 PM by Ichinisan

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:38:13 PM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

I have the Elgato Game Capture HD. I got mine from a flea market, complete in package. Used it a couple times and it worked. I do plan to use it a bit more in the future.

Neat! Does the HD support auto switching between 240p and 480i? And is any of the picture cut off?

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:06:57 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: AppleTractorBeam

Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Neat! Does the HD support auto switching between 240p and 480i? And is any of the picture cut off?

I think there were options to simulate overscan. I think it doesn't crop anything by default. I don't remember if it had any "240p" setting. As I understand it, the 240p/30 signal is compliant to 480i/60. As long as the capture device is capturing a 480i/60 stream, your other software can process that to 240p/30.

I'll try to connect mine again soon and see what options there were in the default software. You could also use it with other software like OBS or Xsplit if you wanted to.