Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew SGP's Halloween vol. I: Spook-o'-tron Check your KS inbox if you have not received your copy

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:00:23 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

It started off like any other Halloween, but as you stepped outside you noticed a strange calm on the streets. No one was about, until out of the fog appeared all manner of creatures! You panicked and raised your blaster in desperation, only to find that it fired a very real missile instantly vaporizing your foe. Good thing that you chose to wear your space suit costume, and not the plumber one like your friends suggested!

One of the better Buffy episodes.

-------------------------

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Edited: 10/07/2016 at 09:01 AM by Ferris Bueller

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:59:03 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: zi

As for music, we'll see... it would be nice if I could find someone local  .

I'm eating a Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich whilst going over my Wegman's list- should be local enough!

I was wondering when you were going to see that.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:14:13 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
I saw your new avatar in another thread and rushed over to the brewery to find the update. Fantastic! Can't wait!

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:47:20 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Thanks for the update, Beau. So stoked about this title. Can't wait to nab the inaugural Halloween game, and you chose something right up my alley. I was playing Atari 8-bit Robotron last night, even.

Looking forward to more news soon. Kudos on your progress!

Edited: 10/07/2016 at 11:51 PM by laddersandcakes

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:59:57 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Nice, looking forward to this.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:48:52 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
He's coming...

Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

Thanks for the update, Beau. So stoked about this title. Can't wait to nab the inaugural Halloween game, and you chose something right up my alley. I was playing Atari 8-bit Robotron last night, even.

Looking forward to more news soon. Kudos on your progress!

I bought Robotron and Space Dungeon for the 5200, new even in order to get the controller holder and the full experience, but I don't have a system to play them on. Still searching for one. Thanks for all of the support, I am very excited for this project.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:35:34 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
If you have an N64, you should check out Robotron for that system. It doesn't look like much, but it's still awsome. They also fixed the bad camera angles in the PS1 version. Back OT, I assume it will have dual controller control like SMASH TV. Any chance of a 2 player mode? (not that I have anyone to play with   )

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:28:52 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: CMR

If you have an N64, you should check out Robotron for that system. It doesn't look like much, but it's still awsome. They also fixed the bad camera angles in the PS1 version. Back OT, I assume it will have dual controller control like SMASH TV. Any chance of a 2 player mode? (not that I have anyone to play with   )

Unless you're going to demand a demo or tell me that it is nothing new (bahaha), nothing related to double-fisted action is off topic  . There is always something to learn from checking out another version (even if in 3D, yuck), so I will have to do that now. Someone posted about Goldeneye using two controllers, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

Yep, dual NES controllers turned vertically! None of that terrible single controller Smash TV option either. I can't bring myself to put people through that. It took me until a few years ago to discover that support for two controllers was built into the game. I think playing MRN's BAN caused me to realize it and opened up the possibilities for the current project. I might have ended up liking Smash TV as a kid if I'd known about that, but we didn't have the manual for it to understand what was going on with the choices.

A couple people have asked about a 2 player mode, and I cannot decide if it would be fun or not. To do it I would have to cut the number of player projectiles to two each (possibly three). That, or reduce the number of civilians. It would put those four ports on the AVS to good use. Hmm... Thoughts, opinions, requests?

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 10/12/2016 at 06:46 AM by SoleGooseProductions

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:54:58 PM
Memblers (3)
(Joey Parsell) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
A friend and I used to play Smash TV all the time in "1 player, 2 controllers" mode, so one person controls movement and other does the shooting. It's actually a lot of fun that way, definitely a different experience and we always survived a lot longer than we would on normal 2-player mode. With the higher level of focus that allows, we were often escaping from one insanely bleak situation after another.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:39:56 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
That's a great story. Maybe it doesn't need a two player mode after all, especially if it waters down the gameplay.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:52:51 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
The Mummy! More than one person said that simply having the Pumpkin as the only enemy would be more than enough, but what would be the fun in that? Beware the Knight's Move!

Building the late, but still "in-progress" PRGE demo over the next couple of days  . Since there will be quite a few demos running at the booth, mostly of games that are currently available, if you do not see it, just ask!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:38:21 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Love the minimalistic art style! We want MORE enemies!!!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:02:21 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Gearing up for PRGE! Come check it out  .

If you feel so inclined, you can even design a level with the in-game level editor... WHAT!? Yep, for testing purposes it was easiest to be able to build and test things on the fly, so I worked it in. It is somewhat clunky, but definitely fun to use. And if you happen to design a fun level, maybe I'll include it in the final build  .

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 10/20/2016 at 11:09 AM by SoleGooseProductions

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:39:52 AM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
What about the expo in my living room, can that be your next stop  

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:16:32 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania

Gearing up for PRGE! Come check it out  .

If you feel so inclined, you can even design a level with the in-game level editor... WHAT!? Yep, for testing purposes it was easiest to be able to build and test things on the fly, so I worked it in. It is somewhat clunky, but definitely fun to use. And if you happen to design a fun level, maybe I'll include it in the final build  .
That's friggen great, man!  

Wish I could come to PRGE and check it out  

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:40:53 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Originally posted by: K3VBOT

Is that like a pants party?

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:57:04 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: K3VBOT

Get some furniture that isn't made out of pizza boxes and we'll talk.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:10:32 AM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Snap, wish I could be there to see it. Someone get some footage of this baby in action. Stat.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:00:08 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
A very special thanks is owed to AnalogNightmare who stopped by the booth first thing Saturday morning and asked to see it. It was great to meet you, and it set the tone for the day  . I got to show it off to a couple of other folk too, and as always I immediately realized just how deep I am into things. I have a tendency to overwhelm people with too much complexity, but expect the game to easily be able to be picked up and played.

I probably should do some sort of video for this too, though me and the YouTube are merely acquaintances. More updates soon!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:02:44 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

A very special thanks is owed to AnalogNightmare who stopped by the booth first thing Saturday morning and asked to see it. It was great to meet you, and it set the tone for the day  . I got to show it off to a couple of other folk too, and as always I immediately realized just how deep I am into things. I have a tendency to overwhelm people with too much complexity, but expect the game to easily be able to be picked up and played.

I probably should do some sort of video for this too, though me and the YouTube are merely acquaintances. More updates soon!

Glad to hear things went well at the show.  

Video would be groovy as hell. Any updated projections for completion/sales? 

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:15:05 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

Glad to hear things went well at the show.  

Video would be groovy as hell. Any updated projections for completion/sales? 

I have a writing project that needs to be in the hands of proof readers by the end of the week, and then it is back to trying to finish it as soon as possible. I created a bug the week before the show that breaks a bunch of different things, so... there's that. There are a couple of other known, easy bugs, and then I want to add a few enemies and balance some existing ones. The testers have been creating some neat levels, as I would like to have a good number in there when all is said and done. The wife is doing the label (and eventually box) art, and a few other things need to be done as well. The scoring screen will likely be similar to 0-to-X, so if anyone has any qualms with it let me know now.

I also forgot to mention that I creepily observed Robotron players while at the show, and even pulled one back to the booth Friday night in order to have him play it and give me some feedback. Hahahaha.

It all feels so complete, and at the same time so far away. Thanks for all of the support and interest!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:02:06 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Were any of those Robotron players any good?

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:59:17 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: CMR

Were any of those Robotron players any good?

I've seen better, that is for sure. One fellow mentioned that the board was modded to be harder, and many people were playing on the multi-cab next to it. I was mostly looking for the reasons why people, especially the same players, kept going to the machine. What is the draw when a usual game at most lasts a matter of minutes, that type of thing. It is also way easier to observe what is going on when you're not playing it yourself!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:25:42 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Robotron + Halloween?

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:11:46 AM