Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Master System Weekly Contest Round 3: Penguin Land Ends 12/17/17 11:00 PM NA Time

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:05:31 AM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Hello and welcome to the third round of the first Sega Master System Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Penguin Land.  You're Overbite, commander of a special Penguin Task Force.  Your mission: bring fragile eggs back safely to home from a foreign land.  Your journey will take you deep into mysterious caverns where dangerous animals await to attack and destroy your eggs.  Be careful not to "crack-up" because you can't be a hero with "egg on your face."  Can you make it through all 50 rounds?  I certainly can't.

Rules:

-Start on Round 1
-Play until Game Over
-Highest score wins

For general contest rules, click here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1st: ninjistar (7,200)
2nd: bimmy_lee (6,550)
3rd: mbd39 (4,400)
4th:
5th:
6th:
7th:
8th:

Edited: 12/17/2017 at 11:06 PM by Red

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:29:55 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Okay, this game is a lot of tedious trial and error.

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:36:03 AM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: mbd39

When you pause the game, you can scroll down and see the entire level.  It's best to plan where you want to go before starting.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:59:59 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Red

When you pause the game, you can scroll down and see the entire level.  It's best to plan where you want to go before starting.

I don't know. This game doesn't seem to grab me as much as the last two. We'll see.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:37:29 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I hate this, but I wanted to clear the first stage so I could post some sort of score.

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:35:07 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Apparently every time you press start to pause, you have to scroll down through the entire level in order to unpause. And you can only scroll down when doing this, not up. At first I thought my emulator settings must be broken somehow, but other SMS games play fine. Seriously, game? That is beyond stupid.

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:27:38 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Geez, guys. Give this one a try

It's not my cuppa tea, but you might dig it.

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:31:27 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Work is on my way.
I didn't even do any online matches since Sunday because of it. Since yesterday I get home and just want to sit and beat games, not break them or high score them or spinning pile drive someone into the ground.  
Maybe in the weekend things will be less hectic.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:44:38 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I'll be participating this week, but I'm not a huge fan of Penguin Land. The first time I played it when I first got the game, I didn't dig it. I'm going to read through the manual for it again and see if that helps me out.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:51:27 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I'll be participating this week, but I'm not a huge fan of Penguin Land. The first time I played it when I first got the game, I didn't dig it. I'm going to read through the manual for it again and see if that helps me out.

Yeah. I understand why there hasn't been any participation other than my minimal attempt, but someone must like this.

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:59:13 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Yeah. I understand why there hasn't been any participation other than my minimal attempt, but someone must like this.

Penguin Land was the only game I wasn't crazy about on the list.  Everything else is pretty solid and fun.  Although, I haven't played Montezuma's Revenge because I don't own it...yet  

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:07:23 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Penguin Land was the only game I wasn't crazy about on the list.  Everything else is pretty solid and fun.  Although, I haven't played Montezuma's Revenge because I don't own it...yet  

Fantazy Zone: The Maze has been my favorite. Next week's game Cloud Master looks like a fun shooter.

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:19:28 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Fantazy Zone: The Maze has been my favorite. Next week's game Cloud Master looks like a fun shooter.

Cloud Master is a pretty fun shooter.  I played it for quite a while when I first got it.  I didn't have as much experience with Wonder Boy in Monster Land or Fantasy Zone: The Maze because they were two of my more recent Master System purchases, but I really enjoyed Wonder Boy.  It sure gets tough the further you progress, but I have a feeling I missed out on getting some important items.  That's one I want to give a good, serious playthrough.  I intended on playing more Fantasy Zone: The Maze last week, but I was so exhausted after work most nights that I ended up going to bed a few nights shortly after getting home.  I just got a couple PAL Master System games in the mail today that I need to test, so I will probably fire up Penguin Land some time tonight.  However, I have been on a Sega Genesis kick lately, so I must resist the urge to want to play that  

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:09:09 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
I gave this a go on Sunday. It took a few tries to figure out how exactly it works. I'm hoping my cartridge shows up tomorrow. I thought it would be here by now. In the meantime, I've been doing this:

http://ninjistar.blogspot.com/2017/12/more-sega-master-syste...

I think I'll fire a few of those up soon! If not this week, then when I have time off later this month!

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Edited: 12/13/2017 at 09:10 PM by ninjistar

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:34:43 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: ninjistar

I gave this a go on Sunday. It took a few tries to figure out how exactly it works. I'm hoping my cartridge shows up tomorrow. I thought it would be here by now. In the meantime, I've been doing this:

I think I'll fire a few of those up soon! If not this week, then when I have time off later this month!

Nice stuff!  Is that your whole Master System collection or do you have other games?

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:56:49 AM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

Nice stuff!  Is that your whole Master System collection or do you have other games?

Thanks Bimmy! This is what I received in the mail today. I have other games, but I'm not sure of an exact count. I have another lot coming in the mail from a NA member. I think my unique title count is somewhere between 40 - 50 right now. With any luck, I hope to finish this set CIB sometime in 2018. You're pretty close to finishing, aren't you? What do you have left to get?

[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:02:11 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Thanks Bimmy! This is what I received in the mail today. I have other games, but I'm not sure of an exact count. I have another lot coming in the mail from a NA member. I think my unique title count is somewhere between 40 - 50 right now. With any luck, I hope to finish this set CIB sometime in 2018. You're pretty close to finishing, aren't you? What do you have left to get?

It's pretty easy to to get a full NTSC Sega Master System set, aside from a few heavy hitters (James "Buster" Douglas Boxing comes to mind).  I am very close to finishing the set and only need 9 more to go.  Here's what I still need:

Aerial Assault
Dick Tracy
Ghouls n' Ghosts
Golden Axe Warrior
James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing
Montezuma's Revenge
Power Strike
Sonic the Hedgehog
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

I'm also collecting European PAL exclusives and have 22 of those so far, all CIB.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:15:12 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

It's pretty easy to to get a full NTSC Sega Master System set, aside from a few heavy hitters (James "Buster" Douglas Boxing comes to mind).  I am very close to finishing the set and only need 9 more to go.  Here's what I still need:

Aerial Assault
Dick Tracy
Ghouls n' Ghosts
Golden Axe Warrior
James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing
Montezuma's Revenge
Power Strike
Sonic the Hedgehog
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

I'm also collecting European PAL exclusives and have 22 of those so far, all CIB.
Nice. I've not yet looked into PAL stuff yet. I am excited to dig into this set and learn about each of the titles!

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:29:45 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

It's a start! Getting the hang of it.

Edited: 12/17/2017 at 10:42 PM by ninjistar

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:01:50 PM
Red (80)
United States
About 24 hours to go.

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:03:14 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Aaaaaaaaand that's all the more patience I have for this game    There's a lot of trial and error in this game and you would think the first couple stages would be pretty simple and get you familiar with all the obstacles, enemies, and control scheme, but that's not the case.  I got myself pretty familiar with stage 1 and most of stage 2, but I screwed up near the end of stage 2 on my final life.  This game can be pretty unforgiving if you don't move the egg down the stage in a certain way.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:10:39 AM
Red (80)
United States

Aaaaaaaaand that's all the more patience I have for this game    There's a lot of trial and error in this game and you would think the first couple stages would be pretty simple and get you familiar with all the obstacles, enemies, and control scheme, but that's not the case.  I got myself pretty familiar with stage 1 and most of stage 2, but I screwed up near the end of stage 2 on my final life.  This game can be pretty unforgiving if you don't move the egg down the stage in a certain way.
Yeah, this one starts off kinda tough (I think it is the hardest game on the schedule).  The other games in the series start off with easier levels, making it less frustrating for new players.  The PS2 remake of the original even has power ups that prevent your egg from breaking if it falls too far and fire to melt blocks around the egg.  If you think it might be more enjoyable if it didn't start off so hard, I'd recommend trying that version.  It's in a Japan exclusive compilation game called Sega Memorial Collection and even includes the original SG-1000 version.  Although I haven't played it, I've read that the Mega Drive/Mega CD one starts off easier as well.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:14:25 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
I will be putting together a score for this one later today.
I don't think it will be very impressive anyway. I never played this one before.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:26:04 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I fired up my rom on the Genesis this morning, and I'm having a similar issue as the one I had with Wonder Boy. The penguin just automatically walks to the left side of the screen, and I can't move him. So yeah. Not happening for me this week. Doesn't seem like my kind of game, either, but I did want to give it a go.

I'll be in for Cloud Master, though. I might just download a different rom set and see if that helps.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:47:47 PM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

I fired up my rom on the Genesis this morning, and I'm having a similar issue as the one I had with Wonder Boy. The penguin just automatically walks to the left side of the screen, and I can't move him. So yeah. Not happening for me this week. Doesn't seem like my kind of game, either, but I did want to give it a go.

I'll be in for Cloud Master, though. I might just download a different rom set and see if that helps.

It might be the controller that's giving you problems.  While you can use a Genesis controller with a Sega Master System, there are a few games that it won't work with.  Here's a list I found online:

Alien Syndrome
Bomber Raid
Great Volleyball
Montezuma's Revenge
Penguin Land
Shanghai
Tennis Ace
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego
Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Supposedly, All you have to do is clip a wire in your Genesis controller and it will work fine with these games, but then you probably won't be able to use the it for Genesis games anymore.

Edit:  I just tried playing my Penguin Land on a SMS console with a Genesis controller and had the exact same issue as you (penguin walking to the left).

Edited: 12/17/2017 at 01:04 PM by Red