Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Clamshells - Neons, Hangtabs, Clears, SNES.... One thread to rule them all...?

Sep 09 at 2:31:52 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Okay, so I am certainly no authority on these things, and am really looking for more information myself. I just thought I would go ahead and get us started with a dedicated thread to these different clamshells. 

One of the biggest reasons is to find out if there are any more colours of the Neons... 

But to start, the "regular" clears:

So blue, pink, and clear... Mega Tank has different colours... Black and a yellow/gold one? 

Then these neat little clear ones with hangtabs:

Handy for mounting a few gems on the wall. I've got a few of them in clear, haven't seen any other colours. I assume these were different than just the clear ones because none of the clear ones I have show any sign of ever having a hangtab. So I guess there was a run done with the hangtab meant to stay intact...? Or maybe there was a batch made with the hangtab in order to sell and meant to rip off by the consumer...? 

Here's an SNES one: 

What's interesting about it is that it seems to be from a "different" or restructured/sold company. As pictured, beside a blue neon, is a different company name. NES = "IDR Industries Inc.". SNES = "Merfin Plastics Ltd."

Seems like the company cheaped out and just used the exact same molds. The actual case seems to be exactly the same aside from the "SUPER NINTENDO" underneath the logo. There's not even any tabs inside to stop the the SNES games from sliding around, haha. 

Not sure if the company changed their name, was sold, or what... The city/area code are the same, but the phone number/names are different. I think in the time between the NES and SNES ones were produced the company probably restructured and changed their name... 

Any others/thoughts?

And now la piece(s) de resistance... THE SUPER NEONS!!!!! Mega Tank called them super neons, I like saying neons... whatever floats your boat!! 

The cherry, or Neon Red/Neon Purple, is a new colour to me. Neon Cherry is what I like to say. The little sticker on it is actually a little lamb, a fuzzy one. It's hilarious and old school to the max. It's still in decent shape and not nasty so I think I'll leave it. Nice deep colour to the case. 

As I can tell that gives me Blue, Orange, Cherry, Pink, Yellow, Green. 

Anyone else with different colours/variations? 

-------------------------

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 02:38 PM by AirVillain

Sep 09 at 2:35:51 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Yes, for NES there is a black clamshell with gold letters, yellow clamshell and green I believe. I do not have access at the moment, but I will post a pic if I find them floating online.

The vibrant neon ones appear to have been sold in Canada.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 02:36 PM by Mega Tank

Sep 09 at 2:43:11 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
FYI, there are also N64 variants and even a mythical GAME BOY variant that someone once posted on here. I think that's all of the official clamshells there are from back in that era.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 10 at 12:27:56 AM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
I have a box full of the clear nez ones laying around collecting dust

Might have to dig em out n see at what i have . . .

Sep 15 at 11:33:59 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Yes, for NES there is a black clamshell with gold letters, yellow clamshell and green I believe. I do not have access at the moment, but I will post a pic if I find them floating online. The vibrant neon ones appear to have been sold in Canada.

Black, yellow, and green, eh? Intereeeeeeesting!

Yeah.... maybe we should start referring to them (neons) as "Canadian Exclusives"...   

Originally posted by: rlh

FYI, there are also N64 variants and even a mythical GAME BOY variant that someone once posted on here. I think that's all of the official clamshells there are from back in that era.

I haven't heard of the N64 one. Neat. 

Originally posted by: jfreakofkorn

I have a box full of the clear nez ones laying around collecting dust

Might have to dig em out n see at what i have . . .

See what ya got! They're still cool to put your games in... I mean, they take up more space, but helpful for protection? 

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"