Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Mysterious Hyperkin HD Zapper solution... Any chance it could work with AvS?

Jan 06 at 8:34:08 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Any chance of potentially getting Zapper to operate on avs without rom hacks?
https://www.neowin.net/news/hyper...?

The NES Zapper was revolutionary for its time, offering gamers a chance to shoot down enemies and the like, using a piece of ingenious technology that interfaced with Nintendo's first home console. Despite there being plenty of retro gaming fans clinging to the NES, the Zapper isn't compatible with modern televisions or monitors, making it difficult to experience in the modern age. Luckily, it looks like Hyperkin is ready to solve the age-old problem with its newly announced Hyper Blaster HD.

The Hyper Blaster HD will make its official debut during CES but the firm made its announcement early, letting fans of the NES know that they soon be able to play Duck Hunt and other light gun titles on their modern displays. Although the details are scant at this point, the press release states that:

• Play Duck Hunt for the NES with a light gun on an HDTV (original Duck Hunt cartridge
and NES required)
• Includes special Hyper Blaster HD light gun
• Includes Hyper Blaster HD Adapter to allow HDTV compatibility

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jan 06 at 10:30:42 PM
Beyond-seeing (3)

(David Bates) < Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
It's Hyperkin. Even if it works it will break in two months.

Jan 06 at 10:50:46 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I'm very curious about this... Hopefully it works...

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 01/06/2019 at 10:51 PM by SNESNESCUBE64

Jan 07 at 7:08:40 AM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Originally posted by: Beyond-seeing

It's Hyperkin. Even if it works it will break in two months.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Jan 08 at 4:00:12 PM
EmperorOfTigers (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
I think there is a very good chance that it will work. It works on the real NES and Retron HD so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the AVS too!

Jan 09 at 11:26:00 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
The only reasons I could think of that they might require an original NES (thinking Toaster versus Nintendo-manufactured-NES) would be if they did some sort of AV-based video capture (which shouldn't be an issue for clones that also offer AV out) or if it's simply because lots of clones cheap out and don't actually hook up all the pins in the controller port properly, preventing the gun from working/communicating at all. If it's the latter case, I can see the AVS working without any issues, as the ports are wired up properly and work my original and knock off zappers just fine with the LCDMOD patched ROMs I've been running. Fingers crossed!

Edit:  Weird, it looks like the whole "original NES" requirement may be bunk, as they're apparently demoing it using their own RetroN HD per the below link/photo.  I guess they either bought the tech behind Modern Mallard and will be applying it to other light gun games as time goes on or developed something similar on their own?

https://www.facebook.com/10698879...

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Edited: 01/09/2019 at 11:43 AM by darkchylde28

Jan 23 at 4:12:34 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Sorry for my late reply on this.

So basically, you have a modified zapper that needs the IPS patch applied to the game ROM, meaning it will ONLY work with Duck Hunt or Super Mario + Duck Hunt, and other select games (Hogan's Alley, etc) as time moves on.

Albeit that's a far less expensive solution than a realtime triangulation system which works with all games (which must also tap into the composite feed of the NES to determine precisely when a collision detection event should occur).

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I would hope at least that the Game Genie like cartridge add-ons (for use with real hardware) could at least detect which zapper compatible pcb is plugged into them and patch accordingly. If I have to buy a separate dongle for every zapper game ever made, eff that crap.

And obviously the dongles won't be necessary for Retron5 consoles, since the console could patch the game natively via firmware.

Also the likelyhood that I'll ever be able to play my REtroUSB VS Duck Hunt repro on my AVS dwindles. The existing VS hacks are stuck in easy mode since they lack the necessary DIP switches. Playing in medium/expert mode with 3 ducks/skeet and 3 bullets for rounds 5, 6, 11, 12, is baller.  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 01/23/2019 at 04:15 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Feb 23 at 8:44:04 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Any developments on this, as of late? As the AVS is my primary way of playing NES games, this is definitely of interest to me.

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Apr 06 at 10:22:28 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
I don't understand how this is different from the already available Nes LCD Mod which is free if you already have have a zapper, avs/nes, and a ROM cart.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

May 18 at 1:55:33 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: avlon

I don't understand how this is different from the already available Nes LCD Mod which is free if you already have have a zapper, avs/nes, and a ROM cart.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AZD..." width="500">>
This doesn't work with an NES Zapper gun.  It supposedly works with Tomee Zapp gun, however.

Oct 06 at 7:39:33 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: WaverBoy

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AZD..." width="500">>
This doesn't work with an NES Zapper gun.  It supposedly works with Tomee Zapp gun, however.

I'm literally using it with my childhood zapper in the video that I posted above your comment, so it does work. 

Oct 06 at 11:52:03 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington

I'm literally using it with my childhood zapper in the video that I posted above your comment, so it does work. 

If it does work, you’re lucky.  For most people it doesn’t seem to work.

Oct 07 at 10:57:05 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

If it does work, you’re lucky.  For most people it doesn’t seem to work.

Worked for me on a Plasma as well as an LCD.  That's some serious luck.  I did spend some time cleaning the lens on my zapper, maybe that's what did it for me.