Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tipping in the food service industry

Sep 26 at 2:47:33 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Tipping is so arbitrarily applied across the service industry too... why the bartender but not the person who gives you your popcorn/soda at the movie theatre? Why not your newspaper carrier, why not your trash pick-up guys? Why not your mailman? why not McDonalds workers? Why the waiter and not the busboy? Why taxi driver but not the bus driver?

-------------------------
Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Edited: 09/26/2019 at 02:55 PM by G-Type

Sep 26 at 2:54:22 PM
G-Type (1)
Virginia
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: punkr13

The food is already cooked / in a container and you basically bag it
I don't like to tip for that but feel pressured to do so
At most I leave a buck or two

I wonder if the majority of ppl that deal with those quick stuff takeout orders think they deserve a tip

Nobody working a counter and ringing up takeout should expect or receive a tip.

They are a cashier.  No different than the person working a register at Taco Bell, or the register at a retail establishment.

Just because food is involved, it doesn't automatically mean a tip should be.

Tipping when you dine in, there is some level of on-going attention from a server.

But for takeout, it is a very quick transaction, that legally probably shouldn't even be executed by a person that has a tip-reliant wage structure.
(should be a salaried or non-tipped-hourly doing the work)

There is no social expectation that you tip in that situation, and participating in that kind of tipping is normalizing something that shouldn't be.

Feel guilty that you DO tip for takeout.  Not the other way around    

This just exemplifies why tipping is bad in general. It creates these tests, as if a waiter is working harder than a cashier. Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't. The idea that one person deserves a tip and another doesn't is what's wrong with tipping. The idea that one person needs a tip (because they aren't paid enough through salary) is also what's wrong with tipping.

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Sep 26 at 6:21:55 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I just ran across the Sept 2 issue of Time. This is the cover story. https://time.com/5658442/tipped-r...

Here are some highlights 
Originally posted by: Time

It’s not O.K. for people not to tip,” Munce says from the driver’s seat, the Philly skyline passing by. Klum believes that bad karma will catch up with non-tippers, but Munce, a single mother who relies on tips to live, doesn’t care much about their fate. “I have to make sure that my daughter has a roof over her head,” she says. The desire for cash over karma is understandable: Munce’s base pay is $2.83 an hour.

Tipped workers have always been an underclass in America. The concept was popularized in 1865, when some formerly enslaved people found employment as waiters, barbers and porters; still seen as a servant class, they were hired to serve. Many employers refused to pay them, instead suggesting that patrons tip for their service. A 1966 law tried to bring some measure of security to these jobs, requiring employers to pay a small base wage that would bring tipped workers up to the federal minimum wage when combined with their tips. In 1991, the tipped minimum wage was equal to 50% of the value of the overall minimum wage, but it’s stayed at $2.13 since then, as the minimum wage has nearly doubled. In 1996, President Bill Clinton signed legislation that froze the wage for tipped workers at that amount. It hasn’t changed since.

“We need a commonsense approach to the minimum wage that reflects the economic realities of each region, because $15 in New York is not $15 in Alabama,” says Sean Kennedy, the executive vice president of public affairs for the National Restaurant Association.
The owner of Broad Street Diner, Michael Petrogiannis, is supportive of raising wages. “If [the minimum wage] goes to $15 an hour, then we’ll go to $15 an hour, no problem. I support that,” he says. He leaves reporting tips up to the waitstaff, and his employees have not complained about being shorted. “We want them to make whatever they have to make.”

She still holds out for the chance of one big payday, obsessing over YouTube videos where women are left a $12,000 tip. But when Munce suggests that they would be better off getting a fair hourly wage rather than depending on tips, Klum balks. “I would never do this without tips,” she says.

Sep 26 at 7:10:34 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
The "I would never do this without tips" does make you wonder what you would have to pay a server if they didn't make tips to actually have staff. $20 an hour? $25? More? I doubt you would see many doing it for less than $20 an hour unless they only had like 3-4 tables at a time.

Sep 26 at 7:15:14 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Yeah I know a few people who complain about relying on tips, yet wouldn't have it any other way.

My wife and I went to Catalina Island on a cruise a while back. We did various things there like parasailing. While we were out on the boat, the guys running the operation told all of us that tips are really appreciated and that they need the tips to help cover costs. Sooo, their business model is to price their services at a below-sustainable rate, and beg tourists to make up the difference out of the coerced kindness of their hearts? Or are they lying and just begging people for free money with a false guilt trip? Everything we did on the island was like that. It was annoying.

Should tips be outlawed? What would that look like? Maybe just one minimum wage. I remember when tipping 15% was a lot. Now it feels like a minimum.

Sep 26 at 8:22:42 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Splain

Yeah I know a few people who complain about relying on tips, yet wouldn't have it any other way.

My wife and I went to Catalina Island on a cruise a while back. We did various things there like parasailing. While we were out on the boat, the guys running the operation told all of us that tips are really appreciated and that they need the tips to help cover costs. Sooo, their business model is to price their services at a below-sustainable rate, and beg tourists to make up the difference out of the coerced kindness of their hearts? Or are they lying and just begging people for free money with a false guilt trip? Everything we did on the island was like that. It was annoying.

Should tips be outlawed? What would that look like? Maybe just one minimum wage. I remember when tipping 15% was a lot. Now it feels like a minimum.

I think all cruise activities/excursions are tip reliant.   Not sure if they offer stuff at a less than sustainable price, or if they're just bilking people on vacation.

The excursion that I thought really deserved the tip (Crazy Boat off of the Keys if you've ever taken it), the guy didn't even mention tips like all the other ones did, and he almost seemed surprised we gave him one.

Sep 26 at 9:01:08 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

The "I would never do this without tips" does make you wonder what you would have to pay a server if they didn't make tips to actually have staff. $20 an hour? $25? More? I doubt you would see many doing it for less than $20 an hour unless they only had like 3-4 tables at a time.

Average wage across the US is ~13.50, so that's the range currently.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Sep 26 at 10:57:26 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
One of the frustrating tip situations is when you stay somewhere like houston and you have to be downtown. All their hotels are parking garaged and you have to use their valet service. And they all expect tips. There is no option to just park my own car at the hotel. So you have to make sure you have cash, and its annoying to have to use your car because you know thats just more tip money your going to need both times getting it and parking it. It sucks when there isnt an alternative. Have to have like 20-25 ones just to use my car for the weekend. Its annoying to have to carry and think about for something that I dont even want.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 09/27/2019 at 12:00 AM by quest4nes

Sep 26 at 11:05:05 PM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: quest4nes

One of the frustrating tip situations is when you stay somewhere like houston and you have to be downtown. All their hotels are parking garaged and you have to use their valet service. And they all expect tips. There is no option to just park my own car at the hotel. So you have to make sure you have cash, and its annoying to have to use your car because you know thats just more tip money your going to need both times getting it and parking it. It sucks when there isnt an alternative.

I don’t make very much money. But I work my ass off for what I do have. 
I always keep cash on me to tip people. If I don’t end up tipping someone, I almost always find a person to give that money to that most likely needs it more than me.

Sep 26 at 11:37:05 PM
behemos (126)
(Endless Mike) < Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Originally posted by: G-Type

Tipping is so arbitrarily applied across the service industry too... why the bartender but not the person who gives you your popcorn/soda at the movie theatre? Why not your newspaper carrier, why not your trash pick-up guys? Why not your mailman? why not McDonalds workers? Why the waiter and not the busboy? Why taxi driver but not the bus driver?

Do you people even read the threads. This has been covered MANY times.over.

Sep 26 at 11:57:23 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Richardhead

One of the frustrating tip situations is when you stay somewhere like houston and you have to be downtown. All their hotels are parking garaged and you have to use their valet service. And they all expect tips. There is no option to just park my own car at the hotel. So you have to make sure you have cash, and its annoying to have to use your car because you know thats just more tip money your going to need both times getting it and parking it. It sucks when there isnt an alternative.

I always keep cash on me to tip people. If I don’t end up tipping someone, I almost always find a person to give that money to that most likely needs it more than me.

Not really related to what I said, but ok. Good on you.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 27 at 12:20:08 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Totally related to want you typed. 

Sep 27 at 7:29:15 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I've found that people that don't tip usually aren't that fun of people to be around, energy drainers.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Sep 27 at 10:06:16 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

Lmao - troll posts? 

Your post didn't relate to what he posted at all haha, but if you want to give money away I'm sure either of us would happily take you up on that  

Sep 27 at 10:30:17 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Lmao - troll posts? 

Your post didn't relate to what he posted at all haha, but if you want to give money away I'm sure either of us would happily take you up on that  

I’m pretty sure this whole thread is a troll post 😜
But yeah I may have been a bit tipsy last night. 

Sep 27 at 11:21:29 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio
Originally posted by: dra600n

Well yeah, but if I could make the same as either a cook, server, or host/busser/dishwasher, then server is the absolute last one I'm choosing.

Cooking can be a bit stressful but at least I don't have to deal with people's entitled bullshit face to face.

Sep 27 at 10:40:06 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Well yeah, but if I could make the same as either a cook, server, or host/busser/dishwasher, then server is the absolute last one I'm choosing.

Cooking can be a bit stressful but at least I don't have to deal with people's entitled bullshit face to face.

Cooks generally make more than servers (around here they're always advertisting at between $15 and $17/hr), the rest seem to be min wage, though. Suppose host/busser/dishwasher all make the same. Some folks would prefer to not wait on folks, so busser and/or host(ess) are their other options. Some folks would prefer to not clean up after people, so server or host(ess) would be their options.

There's always folks to fill up the positions nobody wants.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Sep 28 at 1:13:32 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

If you aren't working for tips , it changes the scenario quite a bit imo. I saw it while living in Germany, I see it here in Taiwan. Servers are more free, don't have to walk on egg shells constantly while working. Imo, that would improve the job drastically for the average worker. Imo its better to take a small hit in service (lol really?) And avoid tips , than to be forced to tip via societal bullshit norms for the same service. Tbh, I don't recall ever having had shitty service here or in Germany, and those aren't tipping hubs.

About people not wanting to do the job without tips, someone surely would do it. Those are part time / summer job type jobs , generally.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Sep 28 at 8:30:36 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: fcgamer

If you aren't working for tips , it changes the scenario quite a bit imo. I saw it while living in Germany, I see it here in Taiwan. Servers are more free, don't have to walk on egg shells constantly while working. Imo, that would improve the job drastically for the average worker. Imo its better to take a small hit in service (lol really?) And avoid tips , than to be forced to tip via societal bullshit norms for the same service. Tbh, I don't recall ever having had shitty service here or in Germany, and those aren't tipping hubs.

About people not wanting to do the job without tips, someone surely would do it. Those are part time / summer job type jobs , generally.

The service in Germany (and the rest of Europe) is much worse than in the US.

Sep 28 at 9:21:56 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Not it's not, at least from my experience.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Sep 28 at 9:59:29 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Yeah, but you have a bias against the US for some reason. I've traveled extensively across the entire continent the last 11 years. Unless you're at a high end restaurant, it's usually not even close. I spend a good portion of November in Düsseldorf and Freiburg Germany each year, the service sucks in both of those cities.

Sep 28 at 3:08:37 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

Lmao - troll posts? 

idk, I read it as saying it’s not hard to make sure have cash on you when going into a situation where you know you need it.

Sep 28 at 3:26:01 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: gunpei

Lmao - troll posts? 

idk, I read it as saying it’s not hard to make sure have cash on you when going into a situation where you know you need it.

Lol the original poster was self admitted “tipsy” when he wrote it. I didnt say it was hard to have cash. I said its annoying to have to have amall bills cash. But that wasnt even the poont. The point was clearly forced service that requires tipping for aomething you want to do yourself. Dont want someone to park my car and get my car. Id like to get it myself.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 28 at 4:43:10 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

Lol the original poster was self admitted “tipsy” when he wrote it. I didnt say it was hard to have cash. I said its annoying to have to have amall bills cash. But that wasnt even the poont. The point was clearly forced service that requires tipping for aomething you want to do yourself. Dont want someone to park my car and get my car. Id like to get it myself.

Oh well that is how I read it, I know he was drunk but still. I agree that is annoying. I would feel the same way if I had loads of stock to bring in. 

Sep 28 at 10:00:31 PM
G-Type (1)
Virginia
Originally posted by: behemos

Originally posted by: G-Type

Do you people even read the threads. This has been covered MANY times.over.
So what? This is my comment. 

Edited: 09/28/2019 at 10:01 PM by G-Type