Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

TIPS on valuing your stuff This is NOT an EBAY Substitute. Don't post common stuff please!

May 18, 2011 at 4:32:53 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
  1. Price Check
    1. Rules:
      1. This category is not a substitute for simple due diligence. Before you post to this topic, check common sources for prices (ie, the NintendoAge Price Guide [eZine] and eBay). If you cannot find other sources or have a question about the prices you found, please post.
      2. This category is not meant to be used as a place to field offers or run an auction. If you are interested in selling your item please post it in the buy/sell/trade or auction forum. If you are interested in buying someones item please send them a polite PM. Do not clutter up a price check thread with unnecessary offers, bids or other unneeded information. These types of posts will be deleted.
    2. Recommendations:
      1. Search the NintendoAge Forum to see if someone else has already asked about the item.
      2. Use VG Price Charting: http://videogames.pricecharting.c...
      3. Taken from Tips for finding a price without making a new thread by Dangevin

eBay: the world's price guide

There are many bad ways to harvest price data from eBay, and two good ways. Some people simply type in the name of their game in the search box on the front page and look at the various prices that pop up. "What's that, my Legend of Zelda is only worth $0.99?" Of course not, it may just be a new auction without any bids.

So what are the two good ways? To look at what an item is immediately purchasable for, and what an item has historically sold for. Here are three links from which you can start an easy search. I use variations of these links on a day-to-day basis. Note that you must be logged in for the last one. Take a moment to click on them before I explore the details. The will be for loose Kid Icarus carts for simplicity.
        The first two links will bring you to a list of BIN's for both eBay stores, and eBay auctions. They are sorted by price+shipping, lowest first. Take both into account, add them together and you have the lowest price you could buy this item for right now, shipped to your doorstep. Useful if you're either listing for sale, trying to find relative trade values, or selling to a board member. A good global price.

The last link is historical data of what this item has sold for in the last two weeks. Also a useful gauge of value, this is real data on what people have paid for an item. This would seem more accurate than the first group of links, but keep in mind that many things can affect a cart's value. Bonuses like a manual or case, a seller with exceptionally high feedback, or a bid war can affect the selling price and so these prices should be taken into consideration, but not always used as a rule. You'll note these are sorted by highest-first. So this link shows the most an item has sold for in the past couple weeks.

If you're looking for something specific, like the price for a manual or box or CIB or such, try adding these to your search. Cut and paste them right into your search box, after you've clicked the links above:
        • (book,booklet,manual,instructions)
        • (cib,complete,boxed,box)
        • (new,sealed)

Adding these to your links above, you can see how much a CIB Kid Icarus sold for last week, and is currently available at BIN for, and use that to find the "fair market value" of a similar item.

For some items, like Super Mario Bros 3, you may get lots of "false hits" on items that aren't the game you're looking for. Plush toys, shirts, stickers, and even other games (in this case, SMB/Duck Hunt/WCTM 3-in-1). You can filter your results by resubmitting the search, with negative keywords:
        • -(duck,plush,shirt,sticker,decal) --useful for most Mario items
        • -(book,booklet,manual,instructions,cib,complete,boxed,box) --if you just want to see loose carts

One final note: be sure to click into an auction before you quote it as a price. Look for indicators that may affect value, like use of a stock photo, condition of the item in listings that do use a real photo, and presence of items bundled with it - i.e. - "lots" of items.

Using these links, and perhaps modifying them to fit your own needs, you should have no problem finding a good price WITHOUT the need to ask all 6000 users on the board in the form of a global post in the price check thread.

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 02:56 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

May 19, 2011 at 5:44:53 AM
ChuChu Flamingo (7)
(Mr ChuChu) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
One should add that we should not have feebay prices on the forums.

-------------------------

May 19, 2011 at 1:50:20 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: ChuChu Flamingo

What do you mean by this? The prices people charge?

May 19, 2011 at 1:59:40 PM
tuxedocivic (94)
(Ryan Bouma) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia

That would relate to the BST forum. In the price check, I want to know the ebay value, because likely that is where something would sell. If I chose to sell it here, I would deduct 20% or what ever, from the price check value.

BTW, nice post Paul.

May 19, 2011 at 2:08:38 PM
Bella (104)
(Bellatrix Lestrange) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alabama
Paul, you said it better and NICER than I could have.

I have bigger balls than any man out there... They just sit two feet higher!

May 19, 2011 at 2:09:47 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Paul

Using these links, and perhaps modifying them to fit your own needs, you should have no problem finding a good price WITHOUT the need to ask all 600 users on the board in the form of a global post in the price check thread.

The highlighted portion above is my favorite part from the post.  

This was obviously written awhile ago, so as we have grown immensely, it holds all the more true today.

May 19, 2011 at 2:15:13 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Ya, I thought this was from the FAQ. Anyways, thanks for posting Paul!

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

May 19, 2011 at 6:01:29 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Come on dude, don't be ridiculous. People can charge whatever they want for their stuff. If a person's price is too high for NA users, it won't sell here, simple as that. I understand that eBay prices are too high sometimes, but sellers don't need to be pestered for asking market value.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

May 19, 2011 at 6:04:18 PM
Bella (104)
(Bellatrix Lestrange) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alabama
Originally posted by: B.A.

Using these links, and perhaps modifying them to fit your own needs, you should have no problem finding a good price WITHOUT the need to ask all 600 users on the board in the form of a global post in the price check thread.

The highlighted portion above is my favorite part from the post.  

This was obviously written awhile ago, so as we have grown immensely, it holds all the more true today.

He meant 6,ooo. It was a simple NGD

I have bigger balls than any man out there... They just sit two feet higher!

Edited: 05/19/2011 at 08:07 PM by Bella

May 19, 2011 at 7:05:34 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
I for one can admit I am bad for making price checks. If I am going to make a big purchase I like to confirm on here. I will cut back and I hope others will too.

May 19, 2011 at 9:29:37 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: Bella

Paul, you said it better and NICER than I could have.

He said it like a true Professional.
Looks like he has been thinking about it for a while now.
Well written and thought out...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

May 19, 2011 at 9:47:23 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
I copied and pasted the entire post from the FAQ, Dain wrote that as far as I know.

May 19, 2011 at 11:28:24 PM
Pocky Bandit (15)
(Kyle Rey) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Does the search function work? I don't think it's ever been successful for me. It always goes to a blank white page regardless of OS and browser I use. I don't know if thats a common question or not but since the suggestion of using the search feature was given, I thought I'd ask.

May 20, 2011 at 12:21:26 AM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Agreed. Search for pricing on FeeBay, by looking at completed auctions, and BINs. Then find a price you feel comfortable with, with a little room for haggle. If you visit this site often, then you no doubt have the same access to pricing resources as anyone of us. Don't try to get other people to do the research on YOUR item. I understand, about really, really rare or hard to come by items, or really high dollar stuff, but I notice a lot of threads, of peeps being lazy, and 3 or 4 clicks away from their answer, in detail.

May 20, 2011 at 2:00:07 AM
ChuChu Flamingo (7)
(Mr ChuChu) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Krunch

Come on dude, don't be ridiculous. People can charge whatever they want for their stuff. If a person's price is too high for NA users, it won't sell here, simple as that. I understand that eBay prices are too high sometimes, but sellers don't need to be pestered for asking market value.

Fair market value would be around what the price of ebay is, minus the dumbass fees.

That being said, people are allowed to charge whatever they want. I just feel it is common courtesy.

May 26, 2011 at 7:34:16 PM
Benihana (154)
Washington
Originally posted by: kylerey

Does the search function work? I don't think it's ever been successful for me. It always goes to a blank white page regardless of OS and browser I use. I don't know if thats a common question or not but since the suggestion of using the search feature was given, I thought I'd ask.

The search forum should be fixed now.
This thread is more to inform you to look on OTHER websites to find pricing info...sites like EBAY, Amazon etc.
These threads should be for the more interesting, uncommon things...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:47:27 AM
whitetrashshayno (92)
(Shayne Tellian) < El Ripper >
California
guys i mean zero disrespect in this post so it's not an inflammatory remark on the mods or anyone. But honestly the price check was a nice little thing to ask people if you A. Didn't have time to check, or B. Just didn't want to look.
Honestly theres been many times i've used it since i had a few minutes on the ebay before it got sold and so forth. I don't understand this new idea that it's only for really rare items to be checked, i liked getting NA'rs opinions. Alot of times i'd ask how much a mega man item was, i'd get one person saying something like 300 and then 5 people saying wtf no i payed 30. I really think this shouldn't even be an issue of people asking questions, if you don't want to answer just don't read it. Was it really such a big problem that "important" posts were being bumped to the bottom so that one guy can ask a million times what a super mario duck hunt is worth?

No disrespect but i really don't like the vibe of this website going downhill. I loved that it was all respect and everyone got along, now i gotta go thru flame posts, and stuff like this where a simple question is a federal case.
No disrespect, if you don't like my post delete it, just putting my 2 cents in cuz this is really bothering me.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:01:19 PM
SKULLDEATH9000 (161)
(Jay Z ) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Shayne if people piss you off FOE them it makes the website so much easier to read and follow. OH and to answer your question "Was it really such a big problem that "important" posts were being bumped to the bottom so that one guy can ask a million times what a super mario duck hunt is worth?" Yes this is very important because people would be bumping posts and this would cause limited exposure when trying to sell items because of the bullshit threads people create and continue to create. People like Austin who are just too lazy to look up anything. I don't care if I am talking about him either because I saw him in chat and said it to his face. I even got this response "I am a changed person" after I asked him oh look its Mr. I want everything made for the NES for 2 bucks! So I see a big difference between asking a question and just being lazy or maybe people are just bored.

<--- Don't be a JIVE TURKEY!
Magfest 2016:  "Even kids are dying to play this game"
Magfest 2016:  "Slip em a 20" 

Campout 2011: "I hate TETRIS I would like to go back in time and punch that Soviet dude right in the FACE"
Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat - Chuck Yeager "I don't even know you." 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Thread Owner of Enslaved's 5000th POST!

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:17:17 PM
milligangames (407)
(Patrick Milligan) < King Solomon >
New York
I agree that threads like "how much is battletoads for NES worth" should be ignored/locked. I don't agree with locking any thread that contains common items, though.

Especially, for example, when someone finds a lot on Craigslist and wants a quick opinion on whether or not it's worthwhile or what to pay for it. Even if the lot is all common stuff that can be researched on eBay, sometimes people who are starting out collecting or just not that knowledgeable with pricing would benefit greatly and save a lot of time (and be able to snag the Craigslist lot before its gone) with a quick price estimate from a reseller like me. Part of what makes the site great is that most people are willing to help out others with little things here and there without a second thought. I can look at a lot of a hundred NES games, and come up with a fair price range in 60 seconds (something that I am totally willing to do for people), while the newbie asking might take an hour looking up prices on eBay.

I don't see important posts about uncommon/rare stuff being scrolled to the bottom by a plague of mario/duck hunt price checks. The rare item price checks will be bumped to the top because, well, it's a rare item and those generate discussion.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:53:30 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
^Agreed. Lot prices are a totally different ball game, especially when you are factoring in gas or time expenses to pick the lot up and later on sell the pieces you don't want. But we definitely don't need "how much is such and such common loose cart worth" threads when there are hundreds of titles out there to ask about - figure out how to do your own research and this hobby starts to get really interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:37:25 PM
Benihana (154)
Washington
Originally posted by: Benihana

Originally posted by: kylerey

The search forum should be fixed now.
This thread is more to inform you to look on OTHER websites to find pricing info...sites like EBAY, Amazon etc.
These threads should be for the more interesting, uncommon things...

Quoted to get us back on track.

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:06:38 PM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I remember not all to far back. I was in the price check forum asking about super scope recievers. I never got a single response. Why? Because I was abusing the forum with a common item.

I've learned that with COMMON-SLIGHTLY UNCOMMON items.. All it takes is a simple completed listing search. Then if you plan to sell said item on NA, you deflate the price to reasonable levels (I.E. If I listed super smash bros for $40 here. I'd be getting virtually no sales)

Lot items are obviously different. Lasermans recent post was an excellent example.
But I guarantee the new users will learn in time they're abusing the forum. I did. A guy posted above he did.
If they keep abusing it.. Tell em the error of their ways.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:29:02 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
bump again -
i will lock every post about common games and common shit you can look up on ebay.

eBay listings here

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:08:41 AM
Wavingflags2 (23)

(Roy Cisneros) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States

1. Price Check
    1. Rules:
      1. This category is not a substitute for simple due diligence. Before you post to this topic, check common sources for prices (ie, the NintendoAge Price Guide [eZine] and eBay). If you cannot find other sources or have a question about the prices you found, please post.
    2. Recommendations:
      1. Search the NintendoAge Forum to see if someone else has already asked about the item.
      2. Taken from Tips for finding a price without making a new thread by Dangevin

eBay: the world's price guide

There are many bad ways to harvest price data from eBay, and two good ways. Some people simply type in the name of their game in the search box on the front page and look at the various prices that pop up. "What's that, my Legend of Zelda is only worth $0.99?" Of course not, it may just be a new auction without any bids.

So what are the two good ways? To look at what an item is immediately purchasable for, and what an item has historically sold for. Here are three links from which you can start an easy search. I use variations of these links on a day-to-day basis. Note that you must be logged in for the last one. Take a moment to click on them before I explore the details. The will be for loose Kid Icarus carts for simplicity.
        The first two links will bring you to a list of BIN's for both eBay stores, and eBay auctions. They are sorted by price+shipping, lowest first. Take both into account, add them together and you have the lowest price you could buy this item for right now, shipped to your doorstep. Useful if you're either listing for sale, trying to find relative trade values, or selling to a board member. A good global price.

The last link is historical data of what this item has sold for in the last two weeks. Also a useful gauge of value, this is real data on what people have paid for an item. This would seem more accurate than the first group of links, but keep in mind that many things can affect a cart's value. Bonuses like a manual or case, a seller with exceptionally high feedback, or a bid war can affect the selling price and so these prices should be taken into consideration, but not always used as a rule. You'll note these are sorted by highest-first. So this link shows the most an item has sold for in the past couple weeks.

If you're looking for something specific, like the price for a manual or box or CIB or such, try adding these to your search. Cut and paste them right into your search box, after you've clicked the links above:
        • (book,booklet,manual,instructions)
        • (cib,complete,boxed,box)
        • (new,sealed)

Adding these to your links above, you can see how much a CIB Kid Icarus sold for last week, and is currently available at BIN for, and use that to find the "fair market value" of a similar item.

For some items, like Super Mario Bros 3, you may get lots of "false hits" on items that aren't the game you're looking for. Plush toys, shirts, stickers, and even other games (in this case, SMB/Duck Hunt/WCTM 3-in-1). You can filter your results by resubmitting the search, with negative keywords:
        • -(duck,plush,shirt,sticker,decal) --useful for most Mario items
        • -(book,booklet,manual,instructions,cib,complete,boxed,box) --if you just want to see loose carts

One final note: be sure to click into an auction before you quote it as a price. Look for indicators that may affect value, like use of a stock photo, condition of the item in listings that do use a real photo, and presence of items bundled with it - i.e. - "lots" of items.

Using these links, and perhaps modifying them to fit your own needs, you should have no problem finding a good price WITHOUT the need to ask all 6000 users on the board in the form of a global post in the price check thread.

I appreciate the info. honestly i never even knew you could search ebay completed auctions.

quick question though...

how in the hell did this copy of tyson punchout sell for $29??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Tysons-Punch-Out-Nintendo-1987-...

Did i miss something?

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:19:56 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
New Addition to the FAQ.

Rules:

2. This category is not meant to be used as a place to field offers or run an auction. If you are interested in selling your item please post it in the buy/sell/trade or auction forum. If you are interested in buying someones item please send them a polite PM. Do not clutter up a price check thread with unnecessary offers, bids or other unneeded information. These types of posts will be deleted.