Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How do you beat the "Return an Empty Box" Paypal scam?

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:26:25 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: Armageddon Potato

I remember telling this to a woman over the phone who was being super-stubborn over a minor issue, and she gave a disgruntled sigh and told me to hold. I thought I might be in trouble, but when she came back but a minute or two later she said, "Your refund has been issued, is there anything else I can help you with?"

I think I spoke to her a couple weeks ago!

-------------------------

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:40:53 AM
melmulkern (0)

< Cherub >
This just happened to me. I noticed the returned package was drastically underweight. I called paypal and they told me to bring it to my local pd and have the contents documented. I did just that. Paypal is not acknowledging my faxes or calls.
I provided everything they asked for and they still sided with this fraud. The case was just closed in buyers favor because pp claims I haven't responded to their requests for additional information. I responded to every request they made and called them on my own record dozens of times on this matter. If anybody can point me to a possible solution please help.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:57:49 AM
punkr13 (115)
(B Rye) < King Solomon >
California
To OP
Ok if the guy sent a package overseas that was 30lbs + it would show on the receipt the weight. Even on the sticker that they place on the box.
So the box that was returned should have a tag showing the weight and you can take a pic of that and a pic of the receipt show it to PayPal ( that the weight doesn't match , and take a pictures of what was inside too. )

Maybe that could help?

I've had a lot of scammers claiming shit don't work and when I tell them ok return it first , I never get the package. I bet they think that I will refund them before getting back the merch.

I got an idea, make a DOC movie about this and actually confront scammers haha
Seriously sometimes I'm like if I lived near the scammer I would totally do something to them ( yeah I get some rage)

my art stuff: http://punkr13.deviantart.com/...

my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:12:31 AM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4 year thread bump!?

thats gotta be some kind of record

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:49:12 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: TFGZ

I think these issues are more symptomatic of 'eBayers'. I've done thousands of transactions through PayPal and only had 1 bogus claim, and PayPal refunded their money without retracting the payment from me.

I have also performed thousands of transactions as buyer and seller through PayPal (probably almost 1000 just as seller) and have had a single suspect claim. A guy bought a bunch of audio CDs from me and filed an "item not received" claim the day after payment was made.

Here is a positive story. A buyer in Australia bought my Lunar 1 & 2 PlayStation games (CIB, worth about $200 total at the time) from eBay. I mailed them without tracking to save money for him. After a month, he still didn't receive it, so he filed a claim. PayPal awarded him the money since I had no tracking, and I assumed I was out the money. A week later, the buyer emails me saying the games finally arrived. He contacted PayPal himself and instructed PayPal to reverse the claim! I got my money.

The lesson I learned is to always send with tracking if the buyer (from eBay or forums) sends a protected payment. I used to try to make my sales more attractive by offering the cheaper shipping, but no more. I'll do it for gift payments, though.

as for how to protect yourself against the empty box scam, there is likely no way. I can't see PayPal accepting any video evidence. Ultimately, they have to trust someone, and they have decided to trust the buyers.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:09:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
Please start a new thread rather than bumping a 4 year old thread. thanks!