Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Virtual Bro Consolized Virtual Boy Project

Oct 12 at 1:48:07 PM
Double_Dan_Gaming (32)
(D C) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
So, I'm a huge fan of the Virtual Boy, and I'm quite fond of Furrtek's VirtualTap.  However, a user on PlanetVB.com contacted me and asked if I could consolize his VirtualBoy.

Well, I'm up for a challenge!  With a set of calipers in hand and a copy of Autodesk Fusion 360, I set out to engage in what I like to call full-frontal nerdity.  

Below is the render of the (still incomplete) Virtual Bro, a dual-output (RGB and VGA) consolized Virtual Boy that, when finished, will measure approximately 6.9 x 4 x 3.  

The goals for this project are pretty straightforward:

-  Console needs to be as compact as possible
  -  Console needs to be able to be taken apart without difficulty while still maintaining excellent connections
  -  Console must have line-level audio
  -  Console must work with all first-party Virtual Boy accessories.
  -  No fundamental/irreversible changes to the hardware (no removing circuit board components)

I've designed a few custom circuit boards to help with these goals, including a new I/O board withe RGB, VGA, and stereo audio out, as well as a plug'n'play servo emulator board that will eliminate the need for the mirror assembly (by far the bulkiest and heaviest part of the Virtual Boy).

Once the design is completed, I'm going to 3D print it, though I eventually would like a proper plastic injection mold made of it at some point.

-------------------------
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.  And stupid people don't ask questions.

Oct 12 at 1:51:17 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
That's pretty fuckin' rad.

Oct 12 at 3:05:08 PM
joshf (15)
< Crack Trooper >
Kwajalein State
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing more.

Oct 12 at 3:11:47 PM
TylerBarnes (0)
(Tyler Barnes) < Tourian Tourist >
Texas
Definitely interested in seeing the progress.

Oct 12 at 5:16:14 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
That's super impressive! It will be cool to see how this progresses!

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 14 at 6:26:36 AM
harura (0)

< Cherub >
also interested in progress

Oct 14 at 8:10:44 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Making it work so it outputted to a 3D TV correctly so you could use 3D glasses would be sweet.

Oct 15 at 1:21:15 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
That is too cool! I'll be looking forward to updates on this.

Oct 15 at 7:23:03 AM
Double_Dan_Gaming (32)
(D C) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Most of my day to day updates are detailed in the PlanetVB.com Discord server, as at this point I'm really just designing some circuit boards and figuring out the line level audio. Most of the design work is done already, and what isn't is just some tweaks for when the circuit boards are finalized. All the exciting work is pretty much in the past...though I suppose there might still be some surprises. I've 'finished' a design, had a thought while at work, then scrapped the finished design and redesigned it.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.  And stupid people don't ask questions.

Oct 15 at 10:05:07 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Very cool project. Good luck!

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.