Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Christmas 1988

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:40:33 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Well, with the arrival of a game yesterday I managed to complete a factory sealed set all of the games issued in 1988 (according to DP's release dates, anyway).

Probably sounds weird to most of you, but I've got the NES list cross divided every which way you can think of because crossing off these little milestones as I get closer to a set is a lot of fun - it keeps me interested. This is the first complete year I've managed to put together.

I think its kind of neat too to be able to recreate the display that one would have seen that year during 1998 xmas shopping, etc.

If you guys are interested I will put some pics together in the days/weeks ahead. If not.. excuse my venting! It's been a long project so its exciting to get close.

[PS thanks to Dain 1991 is but a mail delivery away from being completed as well (although again that's by DP and DP doesn't have release dates for unlicensed). Only missing one each from 89 and 90 too.. can't wait to find those!]

Apologies for the self-indulgent post but these boards are too quiet the last day or two!

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 01/11/2007 at 08:43 PM by Bronty

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:17:59 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
That is indeed an interesting way to collect, but to each his own. Congrats on your milestone, I like to set small goals myself and slower chip away at them. For instance right now I am collecting AUS games, focusing especially on HES stuff. I would enjoy seeing some pics, would be fun to re live the past.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:59:23 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
I've been waiting for pics ever since I first saw you pop your head into DP a few years ago. Congrats, on (soon to be) 1990, that was the NES's most prolific year, by far. How are you doing with the earlier years? Those early games seem to intrigue me the most; pretty much anything pre-Nintendo Power.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Jan 11, 2007 at 11:21:12 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
NGD, you totally stole that idea from me when I started posting about my Ultra subset Which looks very nice BTW

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:02:44 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
thanks NGD. I don't actually collect by year, I just collect by any which method I can and then cross off these subsets of various forms as they are completed I'm just more focussed on years lately because there's finally one that's completed. Good luck on the AUS games; AUS would be a cool set to collect for sure. Maybe one day I'll join you.

cheers

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:05:41 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

I've been waiting for pics ever since I first saw you pop your head into DP a few years ago. Congrats, on (soon to be) 1990, that was the NES's most prolific year, by far. How are you doing with the earlier years? Those early games seem to intrigue me the most; pretty much anything pre-Nintendo Power.

Cool, will do

The early years are my favorites too They are also really hard to collect. I'd guess that I need basically need six or seven early ones, six or seven late ones, six or seven unlicensed, and a couple 89/90.

Edited: 01/12/2007 at 12:09 AM by Bronty

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:07:18 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

NGD, you totally stole that idea from me when I started posting about my Ultra subset Which looks very nice BTW

Publisher subsets are actually my favorite way to collect It makes for nice manageable chunks and its kind of cool to see the way the box designs and art evolved over time also.

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:53:53 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
While we're talking about your collection, I have a question for you...
How do you do your nes gaming (if at all)? You can't play your sealed collection for obvious reasons, so do you have a sizable collection of loose carts, or just a couple of your favourite games? Or, alternatively, do you use your pc to do all your nes gaming through emulation, or are you one of those rare birds that collects games but doesn't do any gaming at all?

And your in BC if I'm not mistaken, right? It's nice to see that this collection is being assembled in Canada (and only one province over from the promised land )

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:59:36 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I have a couple dozen favourites and an emulator. But truth be told I collect more than I play.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:24:55 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
hey bronty, congrats on the set! Have you happened to get any pics yet? man i would love to see em. i was only 2 years old in 1988 so seeing all those games sealed would be a first for me! Lemme know when ya get the pics ready! I think its awesome on how many seled games you have; your like the Sealed King lol.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:55:28 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Thanks. Sadly I've been too busy to be able to take pics - I totally forgot how much of a pain in the ass moving is. Next weekend is already spoken for but hopefully the weekend after that.

I don't know about 'sealed king' but thanks for the nice words.

So you were born in 1986 huh? Did your house have a NES when you were young then or did you migrate back towards it after starting on something else?

Edited: 01/23/2007 at 12:56 PM by Bronty

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:14:36 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
hey man! im pretty sure we had a NES in around 1988. my parents actually played it and used it for me and my cousons when they came over to play. Then i had it and played it all the time until about 1995 when my original was sold at a yardsale with a bunch of games for like $10.00 :-( it sucks i wish i kept it. but about 3 or 4 years ago i got back into it hardcore, but when through my teens just playing the systems at the time. snes, genesis, Saturn N64, and the others. (had all those). But now i love the NES the most and it was really awesome getting into it a few years ago again, and playing the old classics. :-)

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Edited: 01/23/2007 at 05:15 PM by Parpunk

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:07:54 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Right on. I know what you mean, some games like super C I could play forever and not get sick of them. But believe it or not, I never actually owned a NES until christmas 2002. I played the hell out of it at a friend's house as a kid when I was around 12 or so... but never really got to play as much as I wanted since it was at his place. So.. years later I'm making up for not having had one then

Jan 23, 2007 at 11:24:05 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
haha yea i know what your saying on Super C. thats one of my favorite games ever, aside from the adventure islands, marios, and battletoads. I tried playing Super C SOOO many times trying to beat it without loosing a life. the best i got was beating the game with dieing 3 times. I always get to ""i think its like level 6 where all those crab lookin alien things come from both sides of the screen and without the spread shot its very hard to get through that part without dieng. and i can go the whole game without diening except when i get to that part. although i have gotten through that part without dieing but never all together to make a full blow through the game without dieing lol. If i pieced everything together i got through the entire game without loosing a life, but never in one swoosh lol.

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:27:52 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
ah Super C, great times. I can no death Super C with any weapon, even the crappy one you start with. I of course prefer spread, but who doesn't. I have even beat this game playing 2 player by myself with the Dual Repair Center controller, now that is tough playing 2 people at once. I had to use continues playing that way though. The hardest part for me is level 8 where the ceiling keeps dropping and those damn orb things come at you, very tough.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:34:26 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Easiest way I find is to completely ignore the orbs unless they're right on you...don't stop running. You get through it without having to worry about 90% of the time, with an occasional shot being required now and then. Unless Basil fucks me up I can usually get through that without dying, although the hard part is convincing him to not stop...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:04:48 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

ah Super C, great times. I can no death Super C with any weapon, even the crappy one you start with. I of course prefer spread, but who doesn't. I have even beat this game playing 2 player by myself with the Dual Repair Center controller, now that is tough playing 2 people at once. I had to use continues playing that way though. The hardest part for me is level 8 where the ceiling keeps dropping and those damn orb things come at you, very tough.

~~NGD

Not too shabby.. impressed you can do it with the flamethrower. That's a good weapon for some levels but it just rots where you need range.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:12:22 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Parpunk

haha yea i know what your saying on Super C. thats one of my favorite games ever, aside from the adventure islands, marios, and battletoads. I tried playing Super C SOOO many times trying to beat it without loosing a life. the best i got was beating the game with dieing 3 times. I always get to ""i think its like level 6 where all those crab lookin alien things come from both sides of the screen and without the spread shot its very hard to get through that part without dieng. and i can go the whole game without diening except when i get to that part. although i have gotten through that part without dieing but never all together to make a full blow through the game without dieing lol. If i pieced everything together i got through the entire game without loosing a life, but never in one swoosh lol.

There are just so many classic levels to that game Can't remember if I've ever no-deathed it.... I don't normally try for stuff like that, so probably not. I always found super c easier than contra for some reason though, although most people seem to disagree.

I just love all those early konami games. I'd say gradius, super c, and rush n attack are my three faves. Sure rush n attack had crappy control but it was such a friggin classic in other ways.

Edited: 01/24/2007 at 03:16 AM by Bronty

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:40:59 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I find Super C easier as well, but more because I've had it since I was a kid. Just got Contra two or three years ago, so I haven't had near as much play time on it.