Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

TurboGrafx-16 ~ $60 shipped!

Jan 14 at 5:30:10 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
I kind of assumed he quit working on that, since we haven't heard anything for a couple years and there are already two ODE solutions with at least two others who were working on it:
KonamiGood's HuDebug is presumably still in development
ElectronAsh stopped working on his ODE when SSDSys3 was announced.

I hope I'm wrong, and not just because I have a second CD dock in need of a drive, but this niche market can only take so many ODEs!   I'm also hoping HuDebug comes to fruition, since CD titles on a TurboExpress / PC Engine GT, PCE Shuttle, or PCE LT would be amazing.

Jan 14 at 5:38:14 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Last I heard it was almost done but he went back to secure it more after the GDEMU was cloned. He made a comment when the sssd3 came out saying that his was just a plain ode and not a full replacement for the cd dock. I would be ok with a $140ish solution that I can plug to either the briefcase or TG16 dock.

Here is his quote from early last year:
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/2018/...

I need to read up more about the HuDebug I am not that aware of that one.

-------------------------

Edited: 01/14/2019 at 05:40 PM by ginoscope

Jan 14 at 7:04:41 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: ginoscope

Last I heard it was almost done but he went back to secure it more after the GDEMU was cloned. He made a comment when the sssd3 came out saying that his was just a plain ode and not a full replacement for the cd dock. I would be ok with a $140ish solution that I can plug to either the briefcase or TG16 dock.

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/2018/02/20/where-were-going/

I’ve been told that every single connection needed for Turbo-CD/CD-ROM² support is present in the HuCard slot except for one. HuDebug has been demonstrated running Super CD-ROM² games on a PC Engine GT, so either KonamiGood figured out a way around that or it requires a small hardware modification. Either way, it sounds awesome!

Pretty much every GT/Express and Duo ever made needs the caps replaced, so someone’s gotta go in anyway. A HuCard solution could work with a lot more of the systems that can’t use UpperGrafx or SSDSys3.

If Deunan makes a simple ODE for the IFU/Turbo-CD dock I’ll be right there on his Wordpress site fighting to be first in line.   I need two! I’ll probably even 3D-print a replica Turbo-CD shell to mount it in, since it’ll do double-duty: my only drive is a Japanese unit that wouldn’t match even if it weren’t so yellowed! I selfishly hope it happens but I worry that he’d be entering a niche market that already has a few too many competitors. Maybe he’ll be the first to completely resolve the streaming/sync issues certain games have with UpperGrafx and Super SD System 3 (caused by loading too fast, really).

Jan 14 at 7:12:13 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Well NEC stuff sadly isn't exactly the best made as they are a bit flimsy. I can't speak to the durability of the boards, but things did kind of feel cheap in some things plus well NEC is notorious for cap problems in most their devices other than the core grafx line. Maybe there is a market for the things if they're rolling through them so quickly.

Turbotown sounds like a facebook group I remember. There's that and then another one the PCE and TG16 group too.

Jan 14 at 8:45:05 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Yeah. One of those junk TG16s had a DIN ripped out from a controller and left lodged in the port, and it's maybe the third one I've seen like that. Looks like it pulled out clean with no trace of solder or wires, almost like it was a gender changer with male pins on both sides of the DIN. Not sure how they expected it to stay mounted inside the controller plug when it wasn't crimped or soldered in any way.

It also protrudes ridiculously far. NEC probably should have used some of the US console's extra bulk to shroud the connector a bit, especially if they were using DINs that don't anchor very well in their own cables. Just seems poorly thought out/engineered.

Jan 14 at 10:54:05 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
That I noticed was a thing in the 90s when I originally got into the system. I started out with the Duo and it felt like if it would fall off the shelf it was on with a 2ft drop to carpet I feared something would crack on the shell or break off inside. The thing was just flimsy, nice to eyes but it just felt like it was or would be in time brittle, same with the connections for any of the cabling. The core grafx system I have now feels far more rigid and strong on the ports too like the US version was done with cheaper leftovers or something I don't know. I guess I would want to be surprised you wrote that but I really am not about the connectors.

Jan 15 at 10:21:12 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Hey guys, anyone know anything about this device:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/...

TL;DR it's a device that plugs into the expansion port and allows for composite, component and SCART. However, it's about $50 shipped and it comes from China. Typically I avoid China but considering this sellers high feedback rating, I wouldn't mind having a device like this. Still, $50 feels almost to goos to be true.

Has anyone bought and used one of these? Thoughts?

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Jan 15 at 10:41:58 AM
ginoscope (20)
Texas
Originally posted by: rlh

TL;DR it's a device that plugs into the expansion port and allows for composite, component and SCART. However, it's about $50 shipped and it comes from China. Typically I avoid China but considering this sellers high feedback rating, I wouldn't mind having a device like this. Still, $50 feels almost to goos to be true.

That guys is definitly legit I have bought items from him before both on ebay and direct on his website.  I can't vouch for this item as it seems like a clone of this device which I know is legit.

https://stoneagegamer.com/engine-...

I would probably go for the one at stoneage but it is a little more expensive.  

Jan 15 at 12:07:03 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

That guys is definitly legit I have bought items from him before both on ebay and direct on his website.  I can't vouch for this item as it seems like a clone of this device which I know is legit.

https://stoneagegamer.com/engine-block-av-turbobooster.html

Well, the one on eBay has component, which is what I'd prefer since I also just picked up Trinitron.  Looks like the one that was linked has just composite and S-Video, but I could be misreading it.

Anyway, I do want a solid unit/system.  I might go with it.  I've watched a few My Life In Gaming videos on getting the best picture with systems, but I can't really recall.  How does S-Video compare to Component out?

Jan 15 at 12:14:40 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Cheaper on AliExpress:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/...

Jan 17 at 3:21:22 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Mail has already run: No Old Skool replica TurboPad even though tracking says it is expected today.   Has said "In Transit to Next Postal facility" the entire time with no updates or prior history, so I don't trust the tracking at all.

Jan 17 at 3:24:33 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

https://stoneagegamer.com/engine-block-av-turbobooster.html

Well, the one on eBay has component, which is what I'd prefer since I also just picked up Trinitron.  Looks like the one that was linked has just composite and S-Video, but I could be misreading it.

Anyway, I do want a solid unit/system.  I might go with it.  I've watched a few My Life In Gaming videos on getting the best picture with systems, but I can't really recall.  How does S-Video compare to Component out?
Biggest issue is that not all component-capable TVs are 240p compatible. I also have to wonder if they did the component conversion right. Next issue is that 240p-capable component TVs often stretch the image off to the left due to treating the sync pulse as if it were an HD signal (rising edge versus falling edge). 

Jan 18 at 11:56:56 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

https://i.imgur.com/Iv7N2c8.jpg...

Got it!

First impression was that the Select and Run buttons do not stick out as far as a real controller and the D-pad pushes down in the center though it still feels like there is a small pivot.

Before trying it, I loaded Street Fighter II Champion Edition and tried out my original NEC TurboPad. I quickly realized that I couldn't do a Hadouken or Shoryuken from the left side of the screen but I could do a Hurricane Kick. The reverse was true from the right side of the screen. When my friend walked in the front door I booted the game and asked him to "throw a simple fireball" and he wasn't able to until the match had less than 10 seconds remaining. Obviously, it's not just me! I loaded Chris Covell's PadTest and every direction and button is very responsive but diagonals rarely register both directions simultaneously. The original NE TurboPad has crap diagonals.

Trying the Old Skool "Pro Gamer Series" ControlPad instantly changed all that. I could do Hadoukens and Shoryukens and Hurricane Kicks to my heart's content... not that this controller is appropriate for a 6-button game like this or anything.   For 2-button pads SFIICE needs Run and Select as additional action buttons with Run for Weak Punch/Kick and Select to change between punches and kicks. With taller buttons, the original pad feels a little bit better for that.

Surprisingly, the plug end replicates the original plug and isn't just a random DIN-8 connector. Nice touch. I've only spent a few minutes so far but it's feeling really solid.

Edited: 01/19/2019 at 03:36 PM by CZroe

Jan 19 at 11:19:56 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Well, I got an originL controller last week and was able to plug everything in and test it out on my nee Trinitron I also picked up a couple weeks ago.

Holy cow, even using the antenna connection, this thing looked amazing! I'm still going to look for a way to upgrade my connection to the TV but I was honestly shocked at how crisp the image was playing off of channel 4! This is a great system and paired with a trinitron, it looks quite nice.

Jan 19 at 4:24:47 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/2018/02/20/where-were-going/

Forgot to mention that ElectronAsh's work isn't going to waste:
It's going into DE10 Nano/MiSTer!

The core is reportedly written to be reused for optical drive emulation of other potential MiSTer consoles (Neo Geo CD!).

Also, I got a response from KonamiGood a few days ago and he tells me that HuDebug will not require any internal modification.
Originally posted by: rlh

Well, I got an originL controller last week and was able to plug everything in and test it out on my nee Trinitron I also picked up a couple weeks ago.

Holy cow, even using the antenna connection, this thing looked amazing! I'm still going to look for a way to upgrade my connection to the TV but I was honestly shocked at how crisp the image was playing off of channel 4! This is a great system and paired with a trinitron, it looks quite nice.
Sweet! They are known for having particularly good composite output though there are a couple ceramic capacitors Tim Worthington identified as the cause of jailbars. Console5 sells replacements with the proper values to correct this on all NEC systems but I don't even see them on the TG16. I did see them prominantly on a fully-recapped TurboDuo and replacing them did not eliminate it (improved it though).

Of my four systems two have completely broken RF modulators and one has a bad center pin (have to tweak it to get a good picture). The fouth system presumably has a good RF modulator but it boots to a blank screen for most games so it's hard to say. It seems to me that TG16 RF modulators are particularly fragile! The original protrudes awkwardly far out of the console due to some noise filter or something at the connector. That probably has something to do with it. Wonder why they didnt shroud it under the rear cover and have it plug into the rear protrusion.

Edited: 01/19/2019 at 09:37 PM by CZroe

Jan 19 at 6:10:08 PM
ginoscope (20)
Texas
Thanks for the update on HuDebug. As much as I love my NeoSd aes flash cart I'm going to pass on the sd system 3. Too many issues to address plus I have plenty of options to play turbografx games.

Jan 20 at 12:34:25 AM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Well, I know the OP got his controller, but I did just find another option...
http://www.tototek.com/store/inde...

It's a $22 PlayStation DualShock adapter. Shipping kinda kills it if you aren't buying multiple ($30.92 shipped for one is more than the Old Skool replica). Still, I can see this being preferable if you just want to play a shmup or two with your favorite PS2 arcade stick.

They describe it as "Street Fighter II' compatible" but the instructions seem to imply that this is accomplished by putting button III on a PSX shoulder button. Uhh, as I understand it button III is just the Run (AKA Start) button that TG16/PCE games were often forced to use as a third action button. 3 button controllers just turn it into a plastic button grouped with the others as opposed to a rubber button grouped with Select like it was on earlier controllers. Besides, Street Fighter II' is supposed to be played with a *6* button controller.

Even if it doesn't support 6-buttons, $22 is a fair price. Without true 6-button support I would have preferred an NES controller adapter or something.

Edited: 01/20/2019 at 10:08 AM by CZroe

Jan 21 at 8:51:31 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Found this on OSHPark last night and had TONS of trouble trying to find it again so I'm just going to link rattboi's GitHub page:
https://github.com/rattboi/gen-to...

Yes, it's a non-destructive Genesis to TG-16 controller adapter. Genesis has the correct number of buttons and NEC 3-button games already used Run as a third button. Even the official 3-button pad does this, with an option to assign Select to the 3rd button instead.

It's another very recent contribution. So many controller options all of a sudden!

Surprised no one is making these. We should have a wealth of options out there!

Jan 26 at 9:16:12 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: CZroe

Well, well, well. Less than three minutes after my brother and I discussed making controllers for TG16, I went to a TG16 FB group to post a couple unrelated pictures and I see this:
https://www.oldskoolgames.com/product-page/turbografx-16-pc-...

OK, anyone interested should be aware that this thing is completely incompatible with the TurboTap. I intended to make a simple unboxing and first impressions video only to find that it is completely incompatible with the TurboTap. Ended up being half an hour long! Probably the only video on YouTube about it currently, though John Riggs just got one in the mail yesterday.

Boo! Hisss! I was totally ready for some 2P TG16.  

Edit: One of the Old Skool guys tells me they became aware of this last week. They say their last prototype before production tested fine with the TurboTap. They’ve sent some taps to the Chinese producers so that they can find the problem and re-engineer it if possible. Sounds like they are working on a fix!

I’m sure they are using a programmable microcontroller instead of 74-series logic, since equivalent shift registers wouldn’t cause this but a programming logic error easily could.

Edited: 01/26/2019 at 11:08 PM by CZroe