Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Desoldering tips

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:58:12 AM
KennyB (14)
(No Go ogle result) < Eggplant Wizard >
Belgium
Does anyone has any tips on how to desolder the ROMS from a nes board ? I just tried it but do I suck at it

-------------------------

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:23:14 PM
Bratwurst (79)
(Meat Meister) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
If you don't care about the original maskroms and are making a repro, clip the pins on one side of the chip, then bend it up and down to wear out the other side. Touch the tip of your soldering iron to the legs that are stuck to the board and pluck them out with tweezers once the solder gets hot, one at a time. With the board clear of pins, run soldering braid over the pinholes to remove the solder left inside. This is the quickest method imo.

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:36:15 PM
KennyB (14)
Belgium
Originally posted by: Bratwurst

If you don't care about the original maskroms and are making a repro, clip the pins on one side of the chip, then bend it up and down to wear out the other side. Touch the tip of your soldering iron to the legs that are stuck to the board and pluck them out with tweezers once the solder gets hot, one at a time. With the board clear of pins, run soldering braid over the pinholes to remove the solder left inside. This is the quickest method imo.

Thx, I will try that tomorrow

Jun 5, 2007 at 5:41:11 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I have to suggest that you get desoldering iron from Radio Shack, they are cheap (under $10 IIRC) and they get the job done nicely.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:28:59 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I have one that I got from Radio Shack for a little over $10 after tax.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:26:51 AM
KennyB (14)
Belgium
Originally posted by: BootGod

I have to suggest that you get desoldering iron from Radio Shack, they are cheap (under $10 IIRC) and they get the job done nicely.

I already have one , but thx !

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking about a soldering iron and not a desoldering one. Is it much easier to desolder something with it ?

Edited: 06/06/2007 at 05:30 AM by KennyB

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:50:13 AM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
Substantially easier

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:08:56 AM
KennyB (14)
Belgium
Do you mean this one ?

Do they ship internationally (europe) ? Can't seem to find any info about it , so my guess is they don't

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:22:01 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
Yep, that's the one! I would have to think they do ship internationally, as they are fairly large company, but I guess I can't say that from 100% certainty.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:35:03 AM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
Fuuny story I was trying to replace a board in my nes and the soldering gun i had wasnt doing a very good job so I got out my propane tank and fired it up. I gave the board a good shot with the flame and the board got so hot everything fell off the main board and I burnt a hole in it.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:16:57 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Whoops!

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:53:16 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Kenny, I don't know if they ship internationally, but I do I could pick one up for you and send it your way at cost if you would like. I have to go to the post office this weekend anyway, and there's a Radio Shack right near it. I'd just have to let you know the shipping cost once I send it off.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:56:35 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Thats the de-soldering iron I was using.
The tip burns down after a few boards.  I figures I was able to do 10 - 15 boards before I would have needed to replace the tip, and I couldnt find replacement tips.

I use that when I want to preserve the chip I am removing (like the NES chip when I made my CopyNES system).

Currently, I am just clipping off the chip near the top of the ceramic, and using de-soldering braid to suck out all the old solder so the pins drop out.   I've found that this does a very clean job of de-soldering.  But it took me a long time to get any good at it.  And its not very fast.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:22:30 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
I've never been able to do shit with desoldering braid

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:36:08 PM
Bratwurst (79)
(Meat Meister) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
It definitely takes patience, it helps if you 'start' the braid by touching your iron to the solder spot you want to begin with, then letting the edge of the braid soak it up and go from there. It's much more efficient once it gets going.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:02:02 AM
KennyB (14)
Belgium
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Kenny, I don't know if they ship internationally, but I do I could pick one up for you and send it your way at cost if you would like. I have to go to the post office this weekend anyway, and there's a Radio Shack right near it. I'd just have to let you know the shipping cost once I send it off.

Hey wiz, sorry for the late response but I am currently at a break from my "Repro making" fever. (Have to study to take my exams again in august) But thx for the offer !!

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:19:38 PM
Gameboy (22)
(Stian Olsen) < Meka Chicken >
Norway
What we do at work when we are desoldering smaller chips. We cover all the legs on each side with soldering wire, then we use 1 soldering iron on each side and lift the chip off. Not sure if that'll work on those big roms though