Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Puzznic Contest ends Sunday, 3/26/17 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:12:58 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Never played this game before, I will sample it out when I get home from work.

-------------------------
Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:13:33 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Made participation in my first run, but I'm hoping I can do better and will abstain from posting an early score as a result. Will update this post later in the week.

With a static set of levels, it'd be so easy to just look up solutions. Personally I will resist that urge, and I highly hope others do as well. Even watching others' runs would be a spoiler.

I wanted to discuss this so thank you for posting this.

A large percentage of this game is knowing the solutions, but there are timing elements in some of the levels where only knowledge won't help you.  (As an aside, the Gravnic mode would not work at all because 100% of the game is regurgitating solutions, at least from what I understand.)

The last couple times we played this I used my own personal walkthrough while playing to solve the levels.  On the one hand it's not cheating since I used my own solutions, and on the other hand it's unfair for me to take my prior knowledge in written form and turn that into a huge advantage.  It's not against the rules at all to use my walkthrough (or any walkthrough), but it's not necessarily in good spirit of the contest either.

With that said, I'm willing to do a "gentlemen's agreement" and not use any assistance ... just go off of what I can remember or memorize this week.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:21:26 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Do you guys think we should add an honor rule of the like 'no pausing during your run to check for solutions'?

It is one thing to know the solutions (even learning them by watching a youtube video) or having some notes to help, but if you are constrained by time of execution, it really defies the 'lookup for solutions aspect of it'. Having all solutions and best combos in memory is the key to crush this game anyway.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:21:49 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Made participation in my first run, but I'm hoping I can do better and will abstain from posting an early score as a result. Will update this post later in the week.

With a static set of levels, it'd be so easy to just look up solutions. Personally I will resist that urge, and I highly hope others do as well. Even watching others' runs would be a spoiler.

A large percentage of this game is knowing the solutions, but there are timing elements in some of the levels where only knowledge won't help you.  (As an aside, the Gravnic mode would not work at all because 100% of the game is regurgitating solutions, at least from what I understand.)

The last couple times we played this I used my own personal walkthrough while playing to solve the levels.  On the one hand it's not cheating since I used my own solutions, and on the other hand it's unfair for me to take my prior knowledge in written form and turn that into a huge advantage.  It's not against the rules at all to use my walkthrough (or any walkthrough), but it's not necessarily in good spirit of the contest either.

With that said, I'm willing to do a "gentlemen's agreement" and not use any assistance ... just go off of what I can remember or memorize this week.

Not trying to open up a can of worms here but I feel that if you personally have taken the time in the past to create your own walkthrough of the game then you go for it.  There are several of us during the course of a years contests that are playing games for the first time and are at a significant disadvantage.  Those that had played Adventure Island before, for example, had a strategic advantage over those of us that did not.  If I had made a walkthrough of it from several years back, I would have no ethical qualms with looking at it as a reference as I did all the legwork to make it and had worked through the game myself previously.  Regardless if I'm in the minority on this or not, I feel that you should be able to use your own information/reconnaissance from your own experience to aid you in this.  

Haves     |     Wants

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:22:56 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Do you guys think we should add an honor rule of the like 'no pausing during your run to check for solutions'?

It is one thing to know the solutions (even learning them by watching a youtube video) or having some notes to help, but if you are constrained by time of execution, it really defies the 'lookup for solutions aspect of it'. Having all solutions and best combos in memory is the key to crush this game anyway.

I like that.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:33:43 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Stryphos

Not trying to open up a can of worms here but I feel that if you personally have taken the time in the past to create your own walkthrough of the game then you go for it.  There are several of us during the course of a years contests that are playing games for the first time and are at a significant disadvantage.  Those that had played Adventure Island before, for example, had a strategic advantage over those of us that did not.  If I had made a walkthrough of it from several years back, I would have no ethical qualms with looking at it as a reference as I did all the legwork to make it and had worked through the game myself previously.  Regardless if I'm in the minority on this or not, I feel that you should be able to use your own information/reconnaissance from your own experience to aid you in this.  

That's the gist of how I went about it before.  At least publicly, no one complained about how I played the game using my own notes and probably even a few people like yourself agreed that it was fair game since I put in the work up to a certain point in the game.

By the way I am not trying to imply that barrelsAndRivets is complaining.  It is 100% a legitimate and fair point to make for this contest.

And to guillavoie's point, I am pretty sure in the past I used my notes in realtime without pausing.  I haven't played yet this week so it's not fresh in my mind, but I want to say pausing the game hides the blocks anyway, limiting how much you can really rely on a walkthrough.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:40:38 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

And to guillavoie's point, I am pretty sure in the past I used my notes in realtime without pausing.  I haven't played yet this week so it's not fresh in my mind, but I want to say pausing the game hides the blocks anyway, limiting how much you can really rely on a walkthrough.

I know pausing the game hides the block, but if you're looking at a youtube video you will still see the position of the blocks.

If your personal notes are workable in a 'real time' execution of the game, it means that you have a good note system and that you are using it in a smart way. The point is not to make notes useless, but to implement a rule that would level the time anyone have to execute the puzzle (based on thehonor system, naturally).

Otherwise, it is free for all and everyone do as they wish and there's no complaining about it. What you guys think?

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:53:53 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Originally posted by: Stryphos

That's the gist of how I went about it before.  At least publicly, no one complained about how I played the game using my own notes and probably even a few people like yourself agreed that it was fair game since I put in the work up to a certain point in the game.

By the way I am not trying to imply that barrelsAndRivets is complaining.  It is 100% a legitimate and fair point to make for this contest.

I think you should be able to use your personal notes. You put in the hard work to create them so I believe they are more than fair to use. 

I didn't jot anything down,I just played the game over and over and over. And when I died I would write down the password and play that level until I got it and then play it several more times to remember it. I will still have brain freeze on occasion,heh. 

If if people want to use YouTube or whatever,go ahead. I won't use it,but like Arnpoly said,for some puzzles it won't help you a lot. And even so,one hasty move will kill your run no matter if you know what to do or not.

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 04:00 PM by gutsman004

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:59:22 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Richardhead

That's some dope ass rhyming Bimmy !
Thanks buddy!

You got it, buddy!  That's actually an old poem I wrote the second time we played Puzznic and have reused it a couple times now.  I wanted to write a different one for this week, but most of my free time has been sunk into writing the Double Dragon 2 story, which I will have the conclusion posted in a few hours.  And thanks for the positive feedback on that one.  Appreciate it, man!

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:00:12 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
EDIT: Never mind.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 04:01 PM by mbd39

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:06:14 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: mbd39

I agree with the rule against pausing and consulting the internet even though it would be pure honor system. That would remove all the memorization and puzzle solving so I'd consider it cheating. If you feel the need to watch a Youtube playthrough then at least do it before you start the game. Then there is some memorization involved.

Really, I doubt that our regular competitors would resort to this anyway.

I agree. Just practice a ton and if you aren't finding success on a level try doing one thing (or several) completely different. And some levels will try to trick you,which goes back to the not being hasty bit. You'll be like,cool that looks easy enough,pair these pieces up....oh crap,I think I needed that piece to help move this other piece over to match it...F.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:23:00 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
mbd39, you shouldn't have edited your post, you actually point out what I'm trying to solve with a 'no pausing during your run' honor rule.

My concern is really just to have a common ground for everybody that is a good compromise between performing during your run VS strategy planning. Comments like, 'people can use Youtube but I won't cause x reasons' might looks casual, but it actually draws unnecessary moral lines on what is ideally ethical and what is not and can influence others behavior. Rules are there to put everyone on the same ground, outside of personal judgement.

I think I'm going to add that rule, so we know for sure that the only forbidden behavior is to pause during your run in order to memorize on spot the solutions. Everything else is fair.

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 04:23 PM by guillavoie

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:44:22 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Great discussion, everyone!

Just for the record, I used notes real-time during my complete game from years ago (TG doesn't allow pausing). Even with a complete solution in front of me, it took many attempts to execute it correctly. Lots of little things can go wrong and you have zero margin for error.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:58:46 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

mbd39, you shouldn't have edited your post, you actually point out what I'm trying to solve with a 'no pausing during your run' honor rule.

My concern is really just to have a common ground for everybody that is a good compromise between performing during your run VS strategy planning. Comments like, 'people can use Youtube but I won't cause x reasons' might looks casual, but it actually draws unnecessary moral lines on what is ideally ethical and what is not and can influence others behavior. Rules are there to put everyone on the same ground, outside of personal judgement.

I think I'm going to add that rule, so we know for sure that the only forbidden behavior is to pause during your run in order to memorize on spot the solutions. Everything else is fair.

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I'm my own harshest critic. Sometimes I'm not quite confident about what I've posted and then I edit.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:09:38 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Just for the record, I used notes real-time during my complete game from years ago (TG doesn't allow pausing). Even with a complete solution in front of me, it took many attempts to execute it correctly. Lots of little things can go wrong and you have zero margin for error.

Absolutely! Tons of things can go wrong.   What seems to get me most is being overzealous with moving pieces on/off a platform. I'll end up dropping it and having to retry or a game over. Super irritating.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:32:31 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Originally posted by: Richardhead

That's some dope ass rhyming Bimmy !
Thanks buddy!

You got it, buddy!  That's actually an old poem I wrote the second time we played Puzznic and have reused it a couple times now.  I wanted to write a different one for this week, but most of my free time has been sunk into writing the Double Dragon 2 story, which I will have the conclusion posted in a few hours.  And thanks for the positive feedback on that one.  Appreciate it, man!

Its all new to me and I love it! These contest threads gives me something to look forward to everyday. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:39:05 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Absolutely! Tons of things can go wrong.   What seems to get me most is being overzealous with moving pieces on/off a platform. I'll end up dropping it and having to retry or a game over. Super irritating.

Those moving platforms gave me trouble when we played last time. Even if you know the solution to the puzzle, it seems like your timing had to be almost flawless to hit them.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:41:20 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: mbd39

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I'm my own harshest critic. Sometimes I'm not quite confident about what I've posted and then I edit.
I have noticed this trend.  I just assumed you were withholding secrets that you let slip!

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:55:37 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck 60k partisipation.

this is going to suck.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:05:23 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck 60k partisipation.

this is going to suck.

You should be at 60k around 2-2 or 2-3 so not that bad.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:40:18 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Edited: 03/25/2017 at 07:07 PM by mbd39

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:50:56 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Well well, isn't it Tom Le Magnifique. I had a feeling that a Puzznic contest might bring you to post something, hehe. I loved this game since forever, I use to play it on a 260 in 1 multicart when I was young, but I never worked my way to the end of it though. That's still on my to do list.

Nicely said, notes are definitely helping but will not do the thumbs work for you either. It is an action-puzzle game after all. Thanks for your input man, you should stop by more often  

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 10:27 PM by guillavoie

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:56:19 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Okay, I added a rule about not pausing during your runs to check for puzzle solutions. If there's some ambiguity, please let me know.

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 10:00 PM by guillavoie

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:50:12 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Sounds good to me, guillavoie.

And for those who are interested, I posted the conclusion to the Double Dragon 2 story in that contest thread. Hope you all enjoy!

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:50:22 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Okay, I added a rule about not pausing during you runs to check for puzzle solutions. If there's some ambiguity, please let me know.

No pause for piss breaks either. You gotta hold it!