Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

7 NES "Black Box" games (price check) In need of help from N-A experts!

LOCKED TOPIC

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:12:43 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Donkey Kong  Golf  Mach Rider  Mike Tyson's Puch-Out!!  Pinball  Pro Wrestling  Wild Gunman

I have been holding on to many of these since the 80's. My girlfriend just recently lost her
teaching job so I can't think of a better time to let these go...

I'm trying to find a ball park value on these as sold individually. Though I'm wondering if it would be better to sell as a bundle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have several pictures of the 7 games I want to start with.
For larger resolution images just click on the picture and it should pop up the larger res version.
If there is a broken link please let me know.

Thank You.

DONKEY KONG
(cart=mint + instruction booklet=good + box=good + sleeve + styrofoam)

GOLF
(cart=vg + instruction booklet=vg + box=vg (non-hang tab) + sleeve + styrofoam)

MACH RIDER
(cart=mint + instruction booklet=mint + box=vg (non-hang tab) + sleeve + styrofoam)

MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT!!
(cart=vg + instruction booklet=NONE + box=good + sleeve + styrofoam)

PINBALL
(cart=vg + instruction booklet=mint + box=vg (non-hang tab) + sleeve + styrofoam)

PRO WRESTLING
(cart=vg + instruction booklet=fair (has sticker) + box=vg (non-hang tab) + sleeve + styrofoam)

WILD GUNMAN
(cart=mint + instruction booklet=NONE + box=vg + sleeve + styrofoam)

By the way, the rating system I used on these is as follows: > poor / fair / good / very good / mint

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:20:19 PM
ThatNintendoGuy (47)
(Jason B) < El Ripper >
Michigan
Those boxes are sick man I hope everything turns out ok man.

-------------------------

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:41:59 PM
matt17_52 (28)
(Matt Wyatt) < Lolo Lord >
South Carolina
They look nice you should get top dollar for these though, if you do decide to split up I would be interested in the Pro Wrestling!

Originally posted by: RetroBasement

wow thanks for making me squirt milk out of my nipples

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:19:26 AM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
Absolutely gorgeous. These will definitely go for top dollar.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:40:18 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Wow!

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:00:40 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
You could add Rad Racer, Tetris, and B.O.S. in there too. =)

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:59:35 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
I would be game for Donkey Kong, great looking set!

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:52:58 AM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Where these other games "sharpied"?

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:04:18 AM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
If the price is right i`m interested in Punch out

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:08:14 AM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Dennis

Did you see this?

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:21:24 AM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: wrk

Originally posted by: Dennis

Did you see this?

Are these games -touched up- you mean ?

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:35:49 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
The Donkey Kong was pretty heavily touched up, but I never claimed it not to be which is why I listed the box as
just "good" and not VG, MINT, etc..

The buyer was also made fully aware of the Sharpie marker as well as the large tear on the front BEFORE
any money was accepted.. **

**JDHeins: Don't post your rebuttal here, start a new topic if you wish to discuss our transaction.
Once you do this I will post a forward link to it to clear my name.

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:46:06 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
This may not clear the air on this issue but I wanted to chime in. I'm the one that purchased the Wild Gunman from Spoonman. I studied the pictures thoroughly and asked for additional photos. We then discussed that areas of the box were touched up with a sharpie. At that point, its up to me to action the next step of the selling process and the ball is in the buyer's court. I could decline to purchase, accept, or ask additional questions. We agreed a deal based on the quality of the box and it was a seamless transaction. To be quite honest, Spoonman was extremely thorough during the entire process. If I didn't like the sharpie to begin with I would have declined all together and not taken a chance. Looking at the Donkey Kong you can see by the photo theres a gash on the top front of the box to begin with.

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:04:55 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Arkturus

To be quite honest, Spoonman was extremely thorough during the entire process. If I didn't like the sharpie to begin with I would have declined all together and not taken a chance. Looking at the Donkey Kong you can see by the photo theres a gash on the top front of the box to begin with.

See, that's the problem, you can't see the damage.  Well, now that we're analyzing it in detail, you can see that the white outline / border breaks above DK's head giving it away.  But in looking casually, it looks great.  It's kind of implied that you shouldn't have to ask a ton of condition questions here and you should be able to trust your eyes from a picture.

The real kicker for me is that Spoonman refused a return.  To me, this says that the transaction with him ends when he gets your money.  As a fellow seller, I know that your transaction should never end until the buyer is satisfied. 

The situation is more about how it was handled rather than actually leaving out the bit about marker. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:09:37 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
Originally posted by: Arkturus

This may not clear the air on this issue but I wanted to chime in. I'm the one that purchased the Wild Gunman from Spoonman. I studied the pictures thoroughly and asked for additional photos. We then discussed that areas of the box were touched up with a sharpie. At that point, its up to me to action the next step of the selling process and the ball is in the buyer's court. I could decline to purchase, accept, or ask additional questions. We agreed a deal based on the quality of the box and it was a seamless transaction. To be quite honest, Spoonman was extremely thorough during the entire process. If I didn't like the sharpie to begin with I would have declined all together and not taken a chance. Looking at the Donkey Kong you can see by the photo theres a gash on the top front of the box to begin with.

Thanks Brian. I've had nothing but great experiences on Nintendo-Age for the last 4+ years until this.

Anyone who knows me will know I am an honest person and go out of my way to provide information for anyone who asks it.

The truth is JDHeins never once asked a single question about anything!
In fact is I was the one who had to start listing off flaws to him after he offered the money.

Then after receiving it he told me he thought this was "GEM MINT" <- his words, not mine.
I have listed very few things in the last 15 years as mint. It's a word that should be used sparingly! This was listed as "good".

Yes there was damage, as well as Sharpie marker on the box. This was both seen in the picture as well as told to him, and again, before he paid a penny.

Speaking of which I went out of my way for him.
I accepted a payment plan when he didn't have the money to pay.
And for all of this trouble I get slapped with NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

This is the first negative feedback I have received on Nintendo-Age and it hurts because I don't
feel it was deserved. He sabotaged this post as well as at least one other "Secret attack" on me.

He's been threatening to "Go public on this" for weeks now and and causing me nothing but stress and grief. At one point I even offered to refund $50 (his last payment) because I had had enough of him. He agreed and then continued to harass and threaten me.

I know at this point he only wanted to get money & argue. I'm not the arguing type and can't stand this childish back and fourth $@#$^!

I have about 10 pages of his PM's and I don't know where or if I should post it. What I typed pretty much summed it up.

I don't know if any mods will read this, but I'd like to contest his FB since it's a lie. I have proof of our deal and will make it available if it will help.

Thanks,
Matt

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:16:29 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: spoonman

Speaking of which I went out of my way for him.
I accepted a payment plan when he didn't have the money to pay.
And for all of this trouble I get slapped with NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

This is the first negative feedback I have received on Nintendo-Age and it hurts because I don't
feel it was deserved. He sabotaged this post as well as at least one other "Secret attack" on me.

You didn't accept a return though.  You could have easily accepted a return, and you would not have had any negative feedback, correct?  You made that choice yourself.

I've dealt with some unruly buyers.  When you operate through paypal, you kiss their ass because you know paypal can always force a return.  Not to mention your feedback being on the line.

You got a negative, just explain it and that'll be that.  One negative feedback isn't going to stop me from dealing with you, I'll just know to ask a bunch of questions beforehand.  Most of the community thinks this way so just move on and learn from it.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:24:54 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
Originally posted by: jonebone

See, that's the problem, you can't see the damage.  Well, now that we're analyzing it in detail, you can see that the white outline / border breaks above DK's head giving it away.  But in looking casually, it looks great.  It's kind of implied that you shouldn't have to ask a ton of condition questions here and you should be able to trust your eyes from a picture.

The real kicker for me is that Spoonman refused a return.  To me, this says that the transaction with him ends when he gets your money.  As a fellow seller, I know that your transaction should never end until the buyer is satisfied. 

The situation is more about how it was handled rather than actually leaving out the bit about marker. 

I see your point of view Jonebone,
but why should I offer a refund on something that arrived in his hands exactly as it was when I shipped it?
Now it if I had incorrectly packaged it and it arrived damaged I would have done everything possible to rectify the situation.

I have been selling games for 20+ years now and I can tell the difference between a seller related error and buyer's remorse.

Also, let it be known that JDHeins was making weekly payments on this. This is something that I normally don't do, but he was determined to make this deal happen.

He made weekly payments and then asked for his money back after a month..
Was I supposed to give him 1% interest and a free checking account with that?

But seriously, If I was at fault here I would have given his money back in an instant.

After he harassed me and proposed to sabotage my future dealings on here I offered to give him a $50 refund to be done with this. He agreed:

10/16/2011 02:54 PM - jdheins (77
 Ok, at this point your solution sounds alot better than nothing, I will sell it for what I can, I can probably keep my loss to around 30, which is what I offered anyway. Thx

He's actually made this all more clear than I have in his PM's to me.
1. He said he thought it was GEM MINT
2. He said he knew about the Sharpie marker and damage.
3. He knew he paid too much and regretted it.

Why am I at fault for this?

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:34:22 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: spoonman

I have been selling games for 20+ years now and I can tell the difference between a seller related error and buyer's remorse.

Also, let it be known that JDHeins was making weekly payments on this. This is something that I normally don't do, but he was determined to make this deal happen.

He made weekly payments and then asked for his money back after a month..
Was I supposed to give him 1% interest and a free checking account with that?

But seriously, If I was at fault here I would have given his money back in an instant.

After he harassed me and proposed to sabotage my future dealings on here I offered to give him a $50 refund to be done with this. He agreed:

10/16/2011 02:54 PM - jdheins (77
 Ok, at this point your solution sounds alot better than nothing, I will sell it for what I can, I can probably keep my loss to around 30, which is what I offered anyway. Thx

He's actually made this all more clear than I have in his PM's to me.
1. He said he thought it was GEM MINT
2. He said he knew about the Sharpie marker and damage.
3. He knew he paid too much and regretted it.

Why am I at fault for this?

It sounds like the lines of communication broke down perhaps.  I can't believe you guys couldn't negotiate a resolution.

You shouldn't post PMs, but his PM reiterates that he's already offered you $30 for this whole ordeal.  This is where you would have negotiated a "restocking fee", as most businesses call it.

You're right that some higher end returns are buyer's remorse, especially those with financing.  Before I agree to any type of payment plan, I would spell out that all payments are forfeited if the buyer "defaults".  Not to mention returning the item.

While you claim to have given him several "outs" in this deal, he provided some outs for you as well. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:51:15 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
Originally posted by: jonebone

It sounds like the lines of communication broke down perhaps.  I can't believe you guys couldn't negotiate a resolution.

You shouldn't post PMs, but his PM reiterates that he's already offered you $30 for this whole ordeal.  This is where you would have negotiated a "restocking fee", as most businesses call it.

You're right that some higher end returns are buyer's remorse, especially those with financing.  Before I agree to any type of payment plan, I would spell out that all payments are forfeited if the buyer "defaults".  Not to mention returning the item.

While you claim to have given him several "outs" in this deal, he provided some outs for you as well. 

So as a seller you would issue someone a refund BEFORE they send the game back?
I don't see that ending well for the seller.

I thought we had this solved on our own also when he accepted the $50 refund, but then said he was still unhappy and arguing so I really didn't know what to make of that.

If I had changed my mind and demanded a refund on every item I thought I had overpaid on there would be a lot of unhappy sellers!

He only offered the $30 after he realized I forgot to list his payment as a partial with my bank records and ended up with a $30 overdraft fee (Which I completely take responsibility for).

His initial offer was for me to send him all the money minus shipping costs before he shipped it back to me which I wasn't happy about.

EDIT:
The lines of communication were always opened on my end. I am happy to list everything to a tee and take multiple pictures of each item if that's what someone wants. Arkturus can attest to that. He asked for pictures of the game out of the bag and that night I sent him 15 high res pics on Wild Gunman
http://img.photobucket.com/albums...
through
http://img.photobucket.com/albums...

Also I love his -FB...

Sold me a Donkey Kong Sharpied up and down, CIB for $170, without disclosing fully the condition. Make sure you hound him to get the details on purchases.

"GET DETAILS ON PURCHASES"... He never asked me one (1) question on this. Not a single one.

Edited: 10/20/2011 at 07:00 PM by spoonman

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:04:46 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Had you sent me the 50 we agreed upon then this never would have came out into the open.

Also I would have shipped first, but you flat out told me I'm stuck with it.

The problem was you told me it was partially fixed where the sticker seal was, but didn't disclose the full story.

I didn't suspect anything else was wrong when you offered up the picture that made it look nice.

Am I automatically supposed to distrust you. I had seen you have been a member since 2007, so I didn't expect anything shady.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:19:33 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Seriously, you can't accept top dollars offer on a game that is heavily trashed with sharpie and think that you won't have any problem with the buyer once he get the item in hand, and especially when you're dealing this on a collector forum like NA. You should have anticipated this since the beginning.

Realistically, $170 for a Donkey Kong CIB is a serious offer, something that a buyer will pay to get a copy with only minimal flaws. Whatever the term you used to qualify the box in your description line, it's just a vague and general term that does not give a true description of the condition. I received boxes described as good that were Near-Mint in reality, and received fair boxes described as mint.

Accepting a return for this game would have completely solved the problem. Not accepting a return makes it sound like you don't want to let go the big bucks he paid for it. Honestly, even with a $50 partial refund, it is still a terrible deal for the buyer. This game is worth $50 MAX considering all the flaws and sharpie on it. Jdheins is not expressing buyer's remorse, he's expressing disappointment, which is totally justified IMHO.

Seeing both sides of the story objectively, I think that this situation does not tell me to avoid selling games to jdheins, it tells me to avoid buying games from you. All your arguments are weak and speculative. I don't know if you're realizing it, but you're giving NA a very bad image of you as seller right now. Whatever how jdheins handled this so far, you keep fighting to prove you're not in fault while you're definitely in fault.

The main problem about this issue is that you sold him a poor copy of DK CIB for a premium price, and now that he's not satisfied for obvious reasons, you're not even able to right your wrong by simply accepting a return. You should have refunded him and let him ship the game after. If he fail to return it, he's directly going to the HOS, which is a way worst thing than scamming you and keep the $40-50 trashed DK CIB .

I know it's not of my business, but if I had to give you an advice, I would tell you that it is not too late to right this situation for good, and offer jdheins a full refund to send the game back.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:20:28 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
I'm not saying I wasn't a complete idiot on this, I was more trusting than I should have been.

You said you were looking for 100-150, so that told me it was in good shape. So I offered a little bit more, because this is the nicest copy of DK I had ever seen after 2 years of searching.

I think an Average shape DK brings 70-100
Poor 35-65

You also offered that the Sticker Seal was "Partially fixed with Sharpie" and mentioned nothing else.

Ultimately I think you took an average DK, and made it look like one in good shape, but tragically in the process, downgraded it to a poor condition copy.

Sharpie can't be undone. Again from what you told me I was expecting a little dab of sharpie the size of the half inch sticker. Not the box actually missing, and the whole thing sharpied up, top to bottom.

I didn't ask because I didn't suspect anything amiss.

If you look at the photos you can see there is nothing partial about the Sharpie touchup.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:26:11 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
Originally posted by: jdheins

Had you sent me the 50 we agreed upon then this never would have came out into the open.

Also I would have shipped first, but you flat out told me I'm stuck with it.

The problem was you told me it was partially fixed where the sticker seal was, but didn't disclose the full story.

I didn't suspect anything else was wrong when you offered up the picture that made it look nice.

Am I automatically supposed to distrust you. I had seen you have been a member since 2007, so I didn't expect anything shady.

Had you knew what you were buying neither of us would have this problem.

And please stop lying. You know you didn't ask a single question about the condition.
It wasn't until AFTER you agreed to pay that I listed off some of the major flaws and then you still asked no questions..

You didn't get anything shady. You got exactlly what I advertised. A GOOD condition box. NOT VERY GOOD, NOT MINT. GOOD. With visible wear.

I don't know why you keep saying you expected "GEM MINT" condition on it either.
You were either kidding yourself or not reading what I had told you or listed this as.

Show me once where you hounded me for details.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:32:03 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
If I really thought it was mint, I would have offered 300 or 400.

I was just being a dramma queen at that point man. A good condition DK is worth 100-160.

Yeah the end result is a mint one, but at the time, I thought your copy was the best that I had seen up to this point. It looks downright gorgeous the way you played it.

Yeah, and BEFORE i paid, (I made payments remember) you said.

It is the "Sticker Seal is Partially Fixed with Sharpie, this is pretty common with black box games". I was expecting nothing more, nothing less. Period.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:02:20 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Spoon: You can't ask JD to not post a rebuttal in your first post and then go on to talk about the deal at length on your end.

To speak to that transaction:

JD should have asked for more detailed pictures
Spoon should have taken more detailed pics of the game that has fairly extensive damage

To speak to the price check:

If you want an accurate price check for your CIB Black Box games, I highly recommend you take detailed pictures of any damage or alterations made to the boxes. Black Box CIBs can vary by hundreds of dollars based on condition, so disclosing detailed condition information, especially damage that can be easily photographed, will best ensure an accurate price check.

Keep it civil and move on from the dispute or I'm locking this before it becomes (more of) a back and forth flamefest.