NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

List of unreleased NES games Dumped or confirmed prototypes

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:18:40 PM
MAIL_BAG (151)
(Rip ) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

The only known one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Grid Grabber.

EDIT: Wait, is this list all the games that we know existed at one point, whether or not they've been found? If so it's missing a bunch, let me see if I can whip up that list.

OP...just go to http://www.lostlevels.org/...

Edited: 08/06/2015 at 02:19 PM by MAIL_BAG

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:19:49 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: MAIL_BAG

EDIT: Wait, is this list all the games that we know existed at one point, whether or not they've been found? If so it's missing a bunch, let me see if I can whip up that list.

OP...just go to http://www.lostlevels.org/

I don't have a list there, just articles on some of the unreleased games we helped get out there, all of which are in the original post.

-------------------------

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:23:43 PM
MAIL_BAG (151)
(Rip ) < King Solomon >
Virginia

Originally posted by: MAIL_BAG

OP...just go to http://www.lostlevels.org/

I don't have a list there, just articles on some of the unreleased games we helped get out there, all of which are in the original post.
True... but not everyone has visited your site. Seemed like the proper conversation to plug it.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:45:32 PM
Tootai (4)
(Winston O'Boogie) < Crack Trooper >
Finland
Super James Pond

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:10:05 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Originally posted by: Tootai

Super James Pond

Interestingly, two different reviews (not previews, REviews!) of this game in two different British magazines had two different title screen name photographed: Super James Pond and James Pond II: Robocod.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:13:03 PM
Tootai (4)
(Winston O'Boogie) < Crack Trooper >
Finland
The latter is the better known title that the Amiga version used. I think it was only called Super James Pond on the Nintendo systems.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:10:49 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
John Smith: Special Agent hasn't been listed by anyone yet.
Complete, known prototype, Undumped

Also, Elite NTSC North American Version
Complete/Near Complete (Working out some kinks), known EPROM, Undumped

There are multiple copies of various builds of a Licensed Version of Tengen Tetris, several being complete, none dumped publicly.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 08/06/2015 at 09:11 PM by MrMark0673

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:39:02 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Well this got overwhelming real quick, haha. Thanks for the contribution TheRedEye.

Before I keep going, who's in favor of splitting the list into Dumped and Undumped? I ask because I wasn't expecting this many undumped but confirmed games to be listed. Originally this was just a checklist for what unreleased games could be played.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:03:11 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
I don't think the list is "dumped and undumped," I think it's "found and unfound" personally. On "found" you can mark if something is dumped or not.

btw if you included games that were officially announced but never shown, that list would probably double. Someday I'll publish a definitive list, maybe even as a little book that like 12 people would buy, just to get it off my bucket list.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:14:47 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Well, my definition of dumped includes games that are only available as repro carts. To me, a game doesn't have to be completely publicly available to qualify as dumped. Private dumpings don't really count though. I remember seeing Kung Fu II being released like that. Maybe NES Dump used an English translation? I thought it was the unreleased prototype.

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:19:13 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
That was a hack of Spartan X 2 http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Is that what you were thinking of when you put it on the list? If so, you should remove it, no prototype has come up yet (that I know of).

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:55:47 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Someday I'll publish a definitive list, maybe even as a little book that like 12 people would buy, just to get it off my bucket list.

I'd buy it Frank. I used to read your blog regularly back in college, and thoroughly enjoyed your articles.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:58:01 AM
LORD_Crusher (0)
< Cherub >
Germany
Does anyone have the NES prototype ROM of "Jack the Giant Slayer"?

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:16:45 AM
steven78 (118)
(--- ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
did QB scrambler got dumped already ?

3195A ROCKS  & Wanted List

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:39:48 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
So the "unknown" ones are ones where no one has a physical copy to dump?

May the force be with you.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:21:50 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Originally posted by: LORD_Crusher

Does anyone have the NES prototype ROM of "Jack the Giant Slayer"?

Half of it...

May 19, 2016 at 3:27:47 AM
Doommaster1994 (1)
(Nick K.) < Little Mac >
Washington
For an update on Ace Harding: Lost In Las Vegas, I asked Hiroyuki Masuno a few years back if he did the music to it. He said the project was suspended, so I don't believe the game was ever finished. I assume this was because the NES's lifespan was over and they decided to port the games to the GBC.

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:37:56 AM
Hoddy Krishnuh (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Nevada
Thread necromancy, but as a person who is growing tired of incomplete prototypes, it seems all the completed games that are worth the investment and can be wholly enjoyed are already available to us, with the remaining ones being merely localizations of games that were indeed released elsewhere. I like being able to see how the game development evolved, being able to salvage assets only from the protos for hacks and such, etc., but for the most part, the best ones are already with us. Companies do more to protect a completed product from disappearing as opposed to incomplete samples, which is why they have all survived and ended up with us now. I used to want to see Twelve Tales and Sonic the Hedgehog 1's prototypes, but they will of course be more for observation and not really playable. Thus, I would say my most wanted game right now is Dragon Hopper, because from what we know, it was complete and ready to go. That is all. I know for a fact that Dragon Hopper's programmer was the same guy involved on both Super Metroid and the entire Paper Mario series, as I have seen it mentioned on his profile at his website (which may no longer be up). SimCity NES will be interesting for studying how well the NES handles it, but it likely will not be complete or that good due to the limitations.

Govinda jaya jaya, Gopala jaya jaya. Blessed Krishna, save us!

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:47:43 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Dino Hockey is actually complete.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:27:21 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Originally posted by: Jeckidy

Thread necromancy, but as a person who is growing tired of incomplete prototypes, it seems all the completed games that are worth the investment and can be wholly enjoyed are already available to us, with the remaining ones being merely localizations of games that were indeed released elsewhere. I like being able to see how the game development evolved, being able to salvage assets only from the protos for hacks and such, etc., but for the most part, the best ones are already with us. Companies do more to protect a completed product from disappearing as opposed to incomplete samples, which is why they have all survived and ended up with us now. I used to want to see Twelve Tales and Sonic the Hedgehog 1's prototypes, but they will of course be more for observation and not really playable. Thus, I would say my most wanted game right now is Dragon Hopper, because from what we know, it was complete and ready to go. That is all. I know for a fact that Dragon Hopper's programmer was the same guy involved on both Super Metroid and the entire Paper Mario series, as I have seen it mentioned on his profile at his website (which may no longer be up). SimCity NES will be interesting for studying how well the NES handles it, but it likely will not be complete or that good due to the limitations.

I disagree. For the NES alone, here is a partial list of currently lost, completely original games that appear to have been pretty far along, if not completed, that (to my eyes) look interesting:

Black Tiger (technically an arcade port but looks to be a different game, or at least an interesting new experience)
Dream Team 3-on-3 Challenge
Legend of Hero Tonma (see Black Tiger)
Lord of the Rings
Pyross (see Black Tiger)
Shogun Maeda
Space Ace
Ultimate Journey
Wild Boys

Plus there's ports of computer games that looked pretty far along that I think would have been given new life on the NES: Switch Blade and Magic Candle come to mind immediately.

Edited: 09/06/2017 at 05:27 PM by TheRedEye

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:47:02 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Erik the Viking is the one I'd like to see surface. If I recall, from the musician's take, it was complete.

Was anything ever found on that game Frank?

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:35:05 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Erik the Viking is the one I'd like to see surface. If I recall, from the musician's take, it was complete.

Was anything ever found on that game Frank?

Oh yes, good call! No, just the sound files afaik.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:54:31 PM
Hoddy Krishnuh (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Nevada
Well, there are obviously some exceptions. Socks the Cat was finished but almost entirely lost, so it's not like complete games can be on the verge of disappearing entirely, though 'quite far along' doesn't mean complete. There's also a lot of Famicom games as you mentioned that need to be saved. Super Dog Booby, while most certainly not complete, is another one I'd like to see from among those, just because the name is absolute LULZ.

Govinda jaya jaya, Gopala jaya jaya. Blessed Krishna, save us!

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:55:42 PM
CaptainPiracy (11)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Saw there was an Ebay listing for an NTSC Proto of Trolls in Crazyland from someone in Germany. seems that it is completed, and undumped, even if its just a PAL-> NTSC conversion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Troll...

NES: Licensed (671/677) - Unlicensed (58/91) - Consoles - (2/2)
NEED: Sharp NES TV, Famicom AV

N64 - Carts:(296/296), Consoles:(9/9), Controllers:(14/20)

TRADE THREAD!

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:31:03 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Without any kind of evidence that it's NTSC other than the seller's word, I wouldn't touch this. A "Nintendo of America" title screen shot would convince me though.