Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What is the best way to determine the region of an NES prototype?

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:44:38 AM
Xerxes (20)
(Xerxes Dole) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Is there an easy way to determine the format of an NES prototype? For example is it PAL or NTSC?

-------------------------

Edited: 12/27/2016 at 06:45 AM by Xerxes

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:57:40 AM
steven78 (118)
(--- ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
there is a code on the lockout chip, find the code you find the region

3195A ROCKS  & Wanted List

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:27:35 PM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
Originally posted by: steven78

Thank you for the information. Is there a master list somewhere? I started surfing around bootgod and found several different codes for NTSC. 
In fact, I am not sure that I am looking at the correct information. Is it by chip type? For example: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/im... . Would all 6113a chips be intended for the NTSC market? Or are you working off of the code on the bottom: 6834 3aa? If so, how do you interprete it?

How would one check to see if a prototype is "timed for PAL"? I am not 100% sure I know what that means. I am guessing that is has to do with the 50 hz used in many European countries and the 60 hz used in the US, but I have no idea what effect this has on a prototype. Thanks again for the help.

Edited: 12/28/2016 at 12:28 PM by Xerxes

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:42:08 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
The only scientific, reliable way is to dump the ROM and compare it to the retail versions. Failing that, find out if the released game has different timing (very obvious with music) by playing the ROMs or original cartridge, and see which one your proto sounds like.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:24:11 AM
Of games (3)

(Joshua Rogers) < Eggplant Wizard >
Victoria
Originally posted by: Xerxes

Thank you for the information. Is there a master list somewhere? I started surfing around bootgod and found several different codes for NTSC. 
In fact, I am not sure that I am looking at the correct information. Is it by chip type? For example: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/image.php?ImageID=1765 . Would all 6113a chips be intended for the NTSC market? Or are you working off of the code on the bottom: 6834 3aa? If so, how do you interprete it?

How would one check to see if a prototype is "timed for PAL"? I am not 100% sure I know what that means. I am guessing that is has to do with the 50 hz used in many European countries and the 60 hz used in the US, but I have no idea what effect this has on a prototype. Thanks again for the help.

Writing a book about the NES and Nintendo in PAL regions and Asia/Korea/Hong Kong/India/etc. Contact me if you have anything interesting about this.

Edited: 12/29/2016 at 02:24 AM by Of games

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:03:00 AM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

The only scientific, reliable way is to dump the ROM and compare it to the retail versions. Failing that, find out if the released game has different timing (very obvious with music) by playing the ROMs or original cartridge, and see which one your proto sounds like.
Could you explain more about comparing the ROM? You dump the ROM. It is not bit for bit identical to the PAL nor NTSC. What in specific do you compare?

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:05:21 AM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Of games

In fact, I am not sure that I am looking at the correct information. Is it by chip type? For example: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/image.php?ImageID=1765 . Would all 6113a chips be intended for the NTSC market? Or are you working off of the code on the bottom: 6834 3aa? If so, how do you interprete it?

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:07:06 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California

Could you explain more about comparing the ROM? You dump the ROM. It is not bit for bit identical to the PAL nor NTSC. What in specific do you compare?

First I download the retail ROMs and see what they're meant to look like, and then compare it to the prototype. The most obvious giveaway is a Nintendo of America copyright (the majority of licensed NES games have one), the next most obvious is PAL-specific timing (usually faster music). In the kind-of-unlikely scenario that neither of those apply (in which case, are the NTSC and PAL games actually different at all?) I'd do a diff between it and the retail ROMs in a hex editor to see if one of them is obviously closer than the other.

Edited: 12/31/2016 at 04:07 PM by TheRedEye

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:18:48 AM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio

First I download the retail ROMs and see what they're meant to look like, and then compare it to the prototype. The most obvious giveaway is a Nintendo of America copyright (the majority of licensed NES games have one), the next most obvious is PAL-specific timing (usually faster music). In the kind-of-unlikely scenario that neither of those apply (in which case, are the NTSC and PAL games actually different at all?) I'd do a diff between it and the retail ROMs in a hex editor to see if one of them is obviously closer than the other.

Thank you for the information.