Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Did I get Duped? What is this worth? Think I got a Fake here but is it worth anything?

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:35:25 PM
wettkatt (27)
(Blair Alexander) < Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
So I picked up a copy of Panic Restaurant on NES.  The price was $200 which I thought was a steal for that game.   When I got it I noticed the label seemed to look a little different from what it should.  I mean its pretty close but it looks lke its a repro label taken from the box art.   I dont have the tool to open a Nes cart but Im gonna have a friend look at the board for me in a few days.  thought Id ask here,  if it turns out to be a reproduction is it worth anything still or did I just get taken for $200.  It plays just fine and Ive played it for a few hours already.  Looks like the real thing on screen but the label made me wonder.   Just tossing it out there but wonder if it was still an ok buy for $200?   
panic

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:40:11 PM
POB1337 (30)
< El Ripper >
Quebec
If you bought that on Ebay, I suggest you contact them and request a refund.

I'm not an expert, but if the board is fake, it's not worth near 200$. Maybe it's a repro label with a real board, but I doubt it!

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:44:08 PM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
The corners in the second pic scream fake.

If you're picking up expensive NES titles, I would definitely invest a few bucks in the bit to open them to be sure upon arrival.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:44:42 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: POB1337

If you bought that on Ebay, I suggest you contact them and request a refund.

I'm not an expert, but if the board is fake, it's not worth near 200$. Maybe it's a repro label with a real board, but I doubt it!
I'd have to agree with him on this. I've never owned the game (nor probably ever will) but from what I have seen of the cartridge it did look off to me as well.  Do you have the gamebit needed to open it up and be able to verify the board?  A repro label, while still fradulent, is a much lesser slap in the face than a repro label in my eyes.

-------------------------
Haves     |     Wants

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:46:16 PM
VGS_Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
All depends on the board... Sadly, I'm afraid they scammed you into buying a repro.

If it was through ebay, then you should be able to report it as a fake and get your money back. I believe other members have had success going this route. It will be a bit of a pain though. Pics need to be taken and you'll need file the claim and answer questions. Then there's the whole return shipping process if the D-bag demands to have it back before providing a refund.

Best of luck, hopefully the board is legit and it's just a new label.

Videogamesage.com

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:49:51 PM
Ohio
Even if the board is legit, still isn't worth the $200.

Also, if you open a claim just go with the label being fake, DO NOT TELL THEM YOU OPENED IT.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:59:18 PM
wettkatt (27)
Manitoba
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Also, if you open a claim just go with the label being fake, DO NOT TELL THEM YOU OPENED IT.

Probably just gonna keep the game instead of the headache of trying to get a refund.  I mean  it was about half the cost of the game.  Gonna open it up this afternoon as a friend of mine has a bit.   I'll let ya all know and post a pic of it.  If it is a repro what would it be worth?  I tryeed googling it but didnt find anything for repros of this game.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:00:46 PM
Ohio
Originally posted by: wettkatt

Probably just gonna keep the game instead of the headache of trying to get a refund.  I mean  it was about half the cost of the game.  Gonna open it up this afternoon as a friend of mine has a bit.   I'll let ya all know and post a pic of it.  If it is a repro what would it be worth?  I tryeed googling it but didnt find anything for repros of this game.
$0.

Or current NES repro prices, but to most people, $0.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:04:54 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
Who was the seller?

And yeah, you got taken.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:11:38 PM
tigertowngames (80)
(Chip Richey) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Please do the return/refund, even if it is a hassle. You can't let these scammers keep thinking that they can get away with this.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:12:31 PM
wettkatt (27)
Manitoba

Here is the Board.  How do you tell if its real or fake?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:13:33 PM
Ohio
100% fake. Bullshit solder job on those chips.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:14:01 PM
Ohio
Originally posted by: tigertowngames

Please do the return/refund, even if it is a hassle. You can't let these scammers keep thinking that they can get away with this.
This guy gets it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:26:07 PM
cheese (67)
< Meka Chicken >
United States

Just want to stress this. Please contact eBay for a refund. It is NOT ok for people to sell fakes at authentic cartridge prices.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:28:00 PM
wettkatt (27)
Manitoba

This guy gets it.

Yeah I'll probably make a bit of a stink.  But in all honestly I just wanted to play the game.  But fuckers gotta quit doing this.  I knew the price was too good to be true.  But I guess I can still play the game.  Just not an original.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:29:55 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

Here is the Board.  How do you tell if its real or fake?

It's fake because the chips are eproms instead of mask roms. Those circle stickers are covering the window for erasing. 

And just to third, do not let ebay know you opened the cart. Just tell them the label is fake.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:30:12 PM
tigertowngames (80)
(Chip Richey) < El Ripper >
North Carolina

This guy gets it.

Yeah I'll probably make a bit of a stink.  But in all honestly I just wanted to play the game.  But fuckers gotta quit doing this.  I knew the price was too good to be true.  But I guess I can still play the game.  Just not an original.

I understand you want to just play it, but you could emulate it for free as opposed to paying $200 for a worthless fake. And like I said, all the seller is going to think is "Oh there's one more person who bought my fake $200 game...let me list 10 more"

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:37:12 PM
wettkatt (27)
Manitoba

This guy gets it.

I understand you want to just play it, but you could emulate it for free as opposed to paying $200 for a worthless fake. And like I said, all the seller is going to think is "Oh there's one more person who bought my fake $200 game...let me list 10 more"

So Im pretty much stuck with this puppy then if I dont get a refund?  If I wanted to sell it as a repro in the future what would I be able to sell it for do you guys think?  I would obviously state its a repro though unlike the fucker I bought it off of.  

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:58:46 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Nothing, repros of retail games are not allowed here.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:43:06 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
If this is a total repro (non-original board but does play PR) and you told someone the total truth about it, they might pay you $20. You're not going to recoup anywhere close to what you paid.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:04:41 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
file the claim fake label and out the seller here. For $200 you could have gotten a powerpak and played the game on a real console and still had $50 left over.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:06:06 PM
JustinParks (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Yep 100% fake. You need to get a refund as soon as possible. It isn't worth anything so you will not be able to sell it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:10:31 PM
smacku911 (0)

(Eric Smock) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Dude ebay will give you the refund . Im telling you i've had people send back games with nothing wrong with them and Ebay made me give a refund. I even sell Nintendo's and stress for them to keep the games clean before putting them in . Had a person send it back prob because they got their fill of playing it and wanted the money back . Well when i get a refund i check all the games and the nintendo for my marks. All Nintendo games where dirty and there for cancelled my guarantee Right ...
Wrong ...Even tho i told them in the listing that only clean games can be put into the system or the guarantee will be void ebay still made me refund the money . I have no problem refunding someone if the reason is right but ebay is hardcore with refunds. and if you dont' refund it they will over draft your bank account or paypal account to refund a buyer ... don't keep that crap . get your money back bro..

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:12:33 PM
smacku911 (0)

(Eric Smock) < Crack Trooper >
United States
i would like to know the sellers id so i can beware of them .

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:17:20 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

If I wanted to sell it as a repro in the future what would I be able to sell it for do you guys think?  I would obviously state its a repro though unlike the fucker I bought it off of.  
It's a $10 donor cart, $2 of chips, $1 label, and 10 minutes of work.  You would be taking a $180 loss.  The seller will take that and rip off 10 more people.