Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Nintendo in trouble"

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:14:40 PM
Vandy (45)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
It seems that recently I've been noticing a slew of articles popping up in regards to Nintendo's poor sales for the Wii U.

I'd like to ask you, the gaming community, did you choose a PS4 or an XBOX One over a Wii U? Or are you likely to purchase a Wii U in addition to some of the other systems?

What is turning people off from purchasing Nintendo products? I'll admit I was skeptical of the Wii U when I first saw it, but there hasn't been a second that I've regretted picking it up. I love it.

It's depressing to me that there were such huge release-day sales for both PS4 and Xbox One when neither company had anything good to offer for launch titles. You were essentially buying a system just to be the first person to own the system.

Compare that to the Wii U that released games with interesting new concepts like ZombiU and Nintendo Land. Not to mention the tried-and-true New Super Mario Bros. U.

I'm in no way being a Nintendo fanboy here, I plan to purchase a PS4 eventually (when there are actually some decent exclusive titles for it), but I just wanted to hear the opinions of others on this.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:20:07 PM
Dochrohan (10)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
I have not owned a new Wii so I can not comment directly but with some opinions on previous.

The lack of interactive online capabilities limits the market a large %, the sheer lameness of waving around something to play a game, sure it is unique, however, unless you make the full step to virtual reality, nothing is going to compare.

It is generally deemed like the gamecube, a childs system.

Harsh, but, the reality of Nintendo as of recent. I´m sure they will compete for years to come, possibly the first giant leaper to commercially affordable virtual reality machines, ultimately killing all other competition, who knows?

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:21:41 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
I plan on owning a PS4 and xbone in addition to my WiiU

-------------------------

Edited: 01/20/2014 at 02:22 PM by RegularGuyGamer

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:23:17 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
What turned me off the WiiU was the Wii.. I'm not going to buy a PS4 or an Xbox either though, I'm finally making the switch to full PC only this gen I think.

GRRR!

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:25:58 PM
Johnny5alive (2)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
I feel like Nintendo has isolated its market for a long time now. I'm not saying that as grown men/women we can't enjoy Nintendo products now. But they just don't have the games that a majority of the American gamer culture these days want. This directly impacts sales. By targeting their systems to a younger audience, they're limiting themselves to what they can coax out of parent's pockets around holidays and birthdays. The largest group of consumer gamers are the ones with money, and right now the big trend is FPS, and MMORPGs. Nintendo has done it to themselves. It's a shame.

NES - 120
N64 - 94
N.A N64 systems. - 7/9
CIB Famicom System & Disk Drive
Daiei Hawks and Jusco 30th Anniversary consoles
Nintower of Power (CIB Radnet N64DD - CIB CD64 - Z64 - Tristar)

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:28:16 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
I don't play favorites; I just wait until a LOT more games are out there and a few price drops occur before making a decision. For now, I'm happy with my previous-gen systems and my PC.
But if someone were to bend back my arm and force me to choose a console right now, I'd choose a PS4, hands-down.

Instagram
Wishlist

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:29:37 PM
ankermane (49)
(Erik ) < Kraid Killer >
California
Nintendo, for the most part, has relegated themselves as 'that other console,' meaning first you decide to buy a PS4 or Xbox One, then you get the WiiU after that. Not that the WiiU isn't any good, it's just the additional console to own rather than one of the two big guys. Rarely will someone just own a WiiU exclusively. PS4 or Xbox One is generally the primary console, and the WiiU is that quirky, fun to play one on occasion.

Not sure if Nintendo is consciously going for that move or not, but come to think of it, if they are, it's actually not a bad strategy plan longterm, just so long as they come out profitable each generation. That way they can watch the other two bleed each other to death and slip around the corner unscathed.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:31:47 PM
bigbacon (13)

(chad c) < Eggplant Wizard >
West Virginia
Also, I think kids today want to play the types of games that Nintendo doesn't provide or can't provide in the same capacity as the PS4/XB1.

I know I'll get ripped apart here by saying this but at least in the non-handheld market, they are completely out of touch. Wii was a hit because of the controller and the idea of casual play. People bought them up, played for a few weeks and let it collect dust. Those people will never get a Wii U. They know it will just sit and collect dust. The get together with friends on the couch is fairly a dead concept which is what the Wii banked so well on.

I'm all for them continuing to make new consoles but Nintendo needs to grow up and get away from the Muppet babies approach to gaming. Stop with the cutesy stuff, get a REAL online presence and stop with the "we don't need the best hardware blah blah blah..."

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:35:26 PM
Doc Transit (15)
(Evmaestro ) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Last year Future Shop ran a decent E3 promotion and I pre-ordered like 10 Wii U games (but still had no system). Waited a month and bought one when The Source had them down to $300. I knew id eventually get one so I thought it was a good time to buy and save some money... kind of wish I waited to get it for $250... but oh well. I'm happy, and so far I have 10 games in my Wii U collection (and more to come from the pre-order this year), so I guess there are enough games to keep me playing? But saying that, 3 of them are games predominately geared towards multi-player play (Game & Wario, Nintendo Land, Wii U Party), and I'll be honest, it's not very often I have more than a single friend over to play Nintendo these days... and when I do N64 still stands king. Wish they would have more online, which I see as a huge detrimental to the Wii U... (example, played Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara for an hour or two yesterday and no one dropped in to play...)

I'll likely get a PS4 in a few years when a few decent games find there way to the used market for cheap, exactly what I did with the PS3.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:39:04 PM
Gorillazero (53)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
They should have have brought a whole new man to the table. Nintendo even sent out emails to Wii users (in their daily internet messages that show up when you click on the envelopes), which states that the WiiU is not a peripheral, but a separate device. That in itself is insane, that a product can't completely distance itself from another product. The touch etc. is neat, but it doesn't hold a candle to the next gen consoles... even with those consoles, they are still releasing games for both XboxOne and 360 and PS3 and PS4. Why would I want a new console when I can play the same game on Xbox360 and the graphics are still decent. It's just silly honestly.

Nintendo is hurting and it's apparent that someone higher up has a "I know what's good for gamer" mentality, which is hurting sales and gamers alike.

Where's my NES and SNES Nintendo Company at? Back in the 90's....

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:40:10 PM
Vandy (45)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: bigbacon

Also, I think kids today want to play the types of games that Nintendo doesn't provide or can't provide in the same capacity as the PS4/XB1.

I know I'll get ripped apart here by saying this but at least in the non-handheld market, they are completely out of touch. Wii was a hit because of the controller and the idea of casual play. People bought them up, played for a few weeks and let it collect dust. Those people will never get a Wii U. They know it will just sit and collect dust. The get together with friends on the couch is fairly a dead concept which is what the Wii banked so well on.

I'm all for them continuing to make new consoles but Nintendo needs to grow up and get away from the Muppet babies approach to gaming. Stop with the cutesy stuff, get a REAL online presence and stop with the "we don't need the best hardware blah blah blah..."
I understand what you're saying, but I appreciate that they're making games that are different. And the fact that they really invest the proper time and care into their big-hitter franchises. That's what keeps us from getting a half-assed annual release akin to "Muddy-brown FPS #342, 2013 edition".

Obviously going with the trends is a huge factor to being profitable, so I guess my main beef is with the gaming audience themselves who will happily lap up the newest carbon-copy FPS instead of taking a chance. For every masterpiece like Super Mario Galaxy, there are 4 different FPS games. Take a guess which ones sell better.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:45:42 PM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
Nintendo is slightly out of touch with gamers. When the NES came out in the 80s, the world was a more home bound censored type of time. Since the system did so well, they stuck with the game plan to the SNES then the N64 (even going as far as to continue using cartridge based systems when the entire rest of the world has moved onto disks). When the cube was released, they stepped up a bit into reality with offering disks, albeit mini disks, but they refused to get out of this E rated game world. The Wii was gimmicky enough to be interesting for people to try the motion controller but the fact is that a lot of people do not like the necessity to stand up and shake a controller around to play a game. That alone put a ton of people off of Nintendo. Sure the WiiU has a neat little tablet-like controller and what not but too many people are done with Nintendo for them to actually make a great standing like they did in the NES/SNES days. They are going to have to shelf this family style of gaming if they wish to continue in the console gaming world. Mario, Kirby, and a few others will sell games but most casual people are not going to totally go out and buy a $300 system just to play the latest installation of Super Mario bros.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:49:23 PM
Rooster (113)
(Michael Speakman) < Ridley Wrangler >
Japan
I personally bought a PS4 instead of a Wii U. What turned me away from the Wii U were the lack of any games that interested me at the one year mark. What would convince me to buy a Wii U? A price drop to $200 in conjunction with at least 3 games that I absolutely must have.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:49:31 PM
Johnny5alive (2)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: bigbacon

Stop with the cutesy stuff, get a REAL online presence and stop with the "we don't need the best hardware blah blah blah..."

This might be for a different thread but I personally hate how everything is gong to online. Sure it's cool for new downloadable content but damn, can't I just play a game by myself anymore? I hate being confined to requiring wifi just to play a game.

NES - 120
N64 - 94
N.A N64 systems. - 7/9
CIB Famicom System & Disk Drive
Daiei Hawks and Jusco 30th Anniversary consoles
Nintower of Power (CIB Radnet N64DD - CIB CD64 - Z64 - Tristar)

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:55:08 PM
Vandy (45)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Soera

most casual people are not going to totally go out and buy a $300 system just to play the latest installation of Super Mario bros.

Fair enough, but why did so many people run out and buy a $400 or $500 system just to play the latest... titles that are also available for last-gen?

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:03:01 PM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
I would make an assumption that most of the people that bought the PS4 and Xbox None arent casuals. And the fact is about half of the WiiU's current selection of games is also the same games available on the last gen.

Dont get me wrong, I like the Wii U. Its a nifty little system that will eventually make its way into my house. But right now Nintendo has alienated a lot of its fanbase with its previous gen and its going to show on this gen.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:07:21 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Vandy

Originally posted by: Soera

most casual people are not going to totally go out and buy a $300 system just to play the latest installation of Super Mario bros.

Fair enough, but why did so many people run out and buy a $400 or $500 system just to play the latest... titles that are also available for last-gen?

Bc they advertise during football, South Park and UFC. Why do people buy fast cars that live in the city? Advertisements. To me, PS4 and xbone are advertised to kids. Every 5 yr old wants an xbone. All the middle school kids wants PS4s. The WiiU is for people who want that NES feel to their games and have a survivng local multiplayer console. $300 is a small price to pay for me to play the latest installments of the Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid franchises.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:09:43 PM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Meka Chicken >
Rhode Island
I didn't buy the Wii until I could get one for $40. Motion controls + a pretty sad library overall made me not want to spend any appreciable amount on obtaining one. The Wii U has a fancy tablet thing this time, but still motion controls and a sad library. I don't have money to throw around like I used to so I'm not getting a XB1 or PS4 either, but I'd go with Sony if I had to choose because I'm a fan of the DualShock controller over the XBox and the exclusives appeal to me more. Don't care about all the fluff with online or TV or etc.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:13:19 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Look at the best selling games of 2013 and you'll see where Nintendo needs to work.

Sandbox Games
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Saints Row IV
  • Dead Island: Riptide
  • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  • Sleeping Dogs
First Person Shooters
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Battlefield 4
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Crysis 3
  • Dead Space 3
  • Max Payne 3
  • Payday 2
  • Metro: Last Light
Beat 'Em Up
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • DmC: Devil May Cry
Adventure
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Tomb Raider
  • The Last of Us
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • BioShock: Infinite
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Beyond: Two Souls
Sports
  • FIFA '14
  • Madden NFL 25
  • WWE 2K14
  • Football Manager 2014
  • Tiger Woods: PGA Tour '14
Racing Sim
  • Need For Speed: Rivals
  • Gran Turismo 6
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • GRID 2
Strategy Games
  • Diablo III
  • Sim City
Misc.
  • Just Dance 2014
Childrens Games
  • Lego: Marvel Super Heroes
  • Lego: Batman 2 - DC Super Heroes
  • Minecraft
  • Skylanders: Swap Force
  • Disney Infinity
  • Sonic Generations
  • Disney's Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Nintendo's Games...
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Pokemon X
  • Pokemon Y
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario 3D World

Last year was an AMAZINGLY AWESOME year for gaming...Nintendo however is just kinda getting stagnant with their games.

I love my Wii-U, but damn it I wish I could have just *HALF* of the Adventure, FPS and Sandbox games released last year.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:14:55 PM
Jig (4)
(Josh ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
It's all about marketing. The Wii U has a horrible name. Who thought it was a good idea to include "Wii" in the name?

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:17:18 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Jig

It's all about marketing. The Wii U has a horrible name. Who thought it was a good idea to include "Wii" in the name?

Who thought to put "Super" in front of "Nintendo Entertainment System" or "FamiCom" would be a good idea?

Who thought to put "Color" after "GameBoy" would be a good idea?

Who thought to put "Advance" after "GameBoy" and get rid of "Color" would be a good idea?

Their naming schemes have only failed them once and it wasn't the name's fault (GameBoy > VirtualBoy)

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:23:18 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I got an Xbox One and a Wii U. There's a slew of potential buyers waiting to buy a Wii U that are either waiting for A) A deeper price cut or B) More titles of interest.

I also wanted to wait until about $200 or 3 "must have titles". I caved at $300 on the Mario / Luigi bundle since there were two Mario games I wanted to play (3D World, New Wii U) and Pikmin 3.

Nintendo just over projected it and that's all. The Wii U has been picking up steam since the Mario 3D World release and that was the first real system seller. The software sales will take off once more people own the hardware and Nintendo will be fine.

Oh, and this is about the 10th thread on this topic in the past 3 months now.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:29:20 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
I love the WiiU.

As a store owner I see some problems. The 3rd party software strategy with the Wii is in stark contrast with the original plan of the NES era. There is so much shovelware. Of the many Wii owners in the general public few were looking for more. Most were just burned out.The WiiU was a bad name. If the public was ready to move on from the Wii then Nintendo should have tried to distance themselves with a new name. You also have the problem that many don't know it is a new system.

Another issue is lack of system sellers. So far the best games are new additions of an old series. Sure the new Mario bros or Zelda is always great but the general public needs something new and exciting. They just won't buy a system to play yet another Mario game. Wii sports ( known as the bowling game ) sold more systems than any other game in history not because it was that great but because it was new. It was different. Nintendo is falling into the same rut ad the other publishers who release the safe sure bets year after year with little risk and innovation.

Software is and has always been Nintendo strongest feature. They need new innovative 1st party system sellers and to limit the supply of the crappy 3rd party titles that closed out the Wii with a whimper.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:30:09 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Vandy

"Muddy-brown FPS #342, 2013 edition"
This is why "none of the above" is the option almost everyone I know is picking.  The graphics bump and online capabilities are laughable compared to the laptops we have had for many years.  Far too few new unique games just means I keep playing all the old unique ones.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:35:53 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

Originally posted by: Jig

Who thought to put "Super" in front of "Nintendo Entertainment System" or "FamiCom" would be a good idea?

Who thought to put "Color" after "GameBoy" would be a good idea?

Who thought to put "Advance" after "GameBoy" and get rid of "Color" would be a good idea?

Their naming schemes have only failed them once and it wasn't the name's fault (GameBoy > VirtualBoy)

There is a difference. Those systems ended strong. The Wii was dead for many before it went unsupported and poor 3rd party software was much to blame. This was in part due to the control system. You couldn't easily port a game over to the Wii. For many it was a fad that died out. Who wants to market pet rock 2?