Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Transformers beast wars transmetals n64 Price Rising Fast?

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:01:07 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: cosmicjim

I think a lot of these answers are short sighted.

Disapointment was the key word in the first part. Disapointment is a big part of why the n64 had terrible sales.

Mario Party and Smash Brothers aren't really new franchises. They are new games types with existing characters.
Spyro vs Banjo is a better comparison, and which one of those has had more success?

The mario kart thing is pretty much an agreement.

The rpg argument is pretty shallow.  It just illustrates how bad the n64 library is.  Sour grapes excuse.

N64 had terrible sales because it was an old technology competiting with the new.  Disc based games were new and "in" back then, and PS1 actually got backing from big names like Final Fantasy.  That's why it did better than Sega Saturn who lacked good 3rd party support.

You can argue Mario Party isn't a new franchise, but it was the first to succeed in the emulated board game genre.  With over 10 games to date, it's pretty damn successful whether you want to argue the semantics or not.

As for RPGs, is there anyone here who exclusively plays RPGs and nothing else?  N64 also destroyed PS1 in the FPS genre.  You can't even name a good PS1 FPS, they don't exist.  The best games they got were hybrids like Metal Gear Solid (Action / Adventure) and Resident Evil (Survival Horror). N64 consolized the FPS genre with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Turok.  The PS1 library was also overloaded with garbage PC ports in an attempt to increase profits.  You ask people about Myst, Diablo and Rainbow Six, and they all will be recommended on PC, not PS1.

PS1 did dominate the fighters though, because fighters are a 2 player genre.  Smash Bros did surprisingly well but there's a million PS1 fighters out there and Tekken has sold tons of copies. 

Each has their pros and cons, but to act like PS1 is entirely superior to N64 is ignorant.  Yeah it outsold N64 but sales aren't everything, otherwise Wii would be unanimously regarded as the best console from this generation. 

And for the real icing on the cake, look at how many people play N64 today vs. PS1.  PS1 is obsolete due to backwards compatibility, which sure isn't helping it's collectibility.  N64 is rising in collectibility because most people have to actually buy the hardware to get the full experience.  Emulation barely affects it also, because most N64 gamers are in it for the local multiplayer. 

You wanted a CBFD or Earthbound on PS1? I'm not sure there was a one hit wonder like this on the ps1 but if you are looking for game with a bit of a cult following I'd have to say FF7 or SOTN.

N64 had Goldeneye. ONE awesome FPS.  No other FPS was close on PS1 or the N64.
As a store owner during this time I can tell you that Medal of Honor sold pretty well on PS1 and Perfect Dark was a disapointment to many and stores were left with stacks and stacks and stacks of unsold copies.

It isn't even fair to compare the 2 systems because PS1 has serious depth that the N64 did not have. IMHO you could have made the N64 a plug in play with the top 5 or so games and thrown the rest away.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:09:31 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Yes, there are people that play nothing but rpgs.

Also, ps1 had plenty of decent fps games. N64's only advantage is 4 player without multitap.
Final Doom and Medal of Honor are goods games when looking at that era.

I've been pulling up videos and each system has a particular style about the graphics that makes them different. It would probably reinforce what system you thought was better by which you played more as a kid.

As for current popularity, you seem to be a little nintendo bubble. PS1 held popularity, and n64 is riding a nostalgia/speculation/cult of nintendo wave. Also, because of the weak sales and rental exclusives, a bunch of the n64 valuable games are rare enough to more easily manipulate the markets.

And lastly I'm arguing just for the sake of arguing. I don't even like ps1 because of it being disc based.

Doom and Final Doom were both popular but the N64 has a Doom as well so I didn't mention this.

When it comes to exclusives PS1 had a ton that N64 didn't have an answer too.  Twisted Metal , Gran Turismo hell they even had Digimon games. Where was the real Pokemon ? N64 had 2 kiddie games (SNAP,Hey You) and 2 battle games.  

As for the now popularity THAT is my question. Why? Just because it is a Nintendo system? I think that is a part of it. People are either solely interested because they expect prices to rise or they want to play/collect them and are motivated to buy before they rise.  I think cardboard boxes are also a part of it.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:12:11 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I don't do anime / Pokemon stuff, but I thought Digimon was always regarded as the bastard child knock off of Pokemon? Like Vigilante 8 is to Twisted Metal.

As for Metal of Honor, obviously it was a platinum seller. It sold a ton of copies no doubt, and we already agreed the PS1 vastly outsold the N64. Find me some top 10 games of all time lists with Goldeneye, pretty easy to do. Find me some top 10 lists with Medal of Honor... not so much.

PD got slept on because it came out too late and it was perceived as a Goldeneye knock off. Little Samson probably sold like crap in the NES life but I don't see anyone calling Little Samson a disappointment nowadays. Sales can relate to popularity, but sales are not the end all measuring stick of a game's value.

But like I said, N64 will always be known for the robust multiplayer. You can say it conceded a lot to PS1, but it will always be the pre-internet multiplayer king.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:14:52 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

I don't do anime / Pokemon stuff, but I thought Digimon was always regarded as the bastard child knock off of Pokemon? Like Vigilante 8 is to Twisted Metal.

As for Metal of Honor, obviously it was a platinum seller. It sold a ton of copies no doubt, and we already agreed the PS1 vastly outsold the N64. Find me some top 10 games of all time lists with Goldeneye, pretty easy to do. Find me some top 10 lists with Medal of Honor... not so much.

PD got slept on because it came out too late and it was perceived as a Goldeneye knock off. Little Samson probably sold like crap in the NES life but I don't see anyone calling Little Samson a disappointment nowadays. Sales can relate to popularity, but sales are not the end all measuring stick of a game's value.

But like I said, N64 will always be known for the robust multiplayer. You can say it conceded a lot to PS1, but it will always be the pre-internet multiplayer king.

i agree with this

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:04:24 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Originally posted by: buyatari2

When it comes to exclusives PS1 had a ton that N64 didn't have an answer too.  Twisted Metal , Gran Turismo hell they even had Digimon games. Where was the real Pokemon ? N64 had 2 kiddie games (SNAP,Hey You) and 2 battle games.  

As for the now popularity THAT is my question. Why? Just because it is a Nintendo system? I think that is a part of it. People are either solely interested because they expect prices to rise or they want to play/collect them and are motivated to buy before they rise.  I think cardboard boxes are also a part of it.

The Pokemon Stadium games are a great accessory to the Game Boy installments. Being able to transfer your custom party and face them off in 3-D tournaments on the big screen was a huge thing for the time.

I think you hit some good points in your last paragraph. N64 collecting is popular for all of those reasons and more - so maybe you are answering your own question by this point?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 08/26/2012 at 12:04 AM by Krunch

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:07:01 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Digimon is pretty popular and has some value today. It is somewhat of a Pokemon copycat but why Nintendo didnt release a real Pokemon game on the N64 is unknown, One of the strongest titles at their disposal on a system that lacked any depth. It  wasnt the only title to go unused. There was no Metroid either.

Medal of Honor was no Goldeneye but PS1 had shooters as good as any N64 had after Goldeneye. PD was highly anticipated and was a big let down. I sold this title at launch $70 SRP and everyone was expecting Goldeneye or better. The lack of sales had nothing to do with timing. People just didnt like the game.  Im sure you will find a ton ten lists that includes Goldeneye but few top ten lists will have more than that 1 N64 title. What would the N64 be without the one title Goldeneye? Would it still be your favorite?

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:29:46 AM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California

Digimon is pretty popular and has some value today. It is somewhat of a Pokemon copycat but why Nintendo didnt release a real Pokemon game on the N64 is unknown, One of the strongest titles at their disposal on a system that lacked any depth. It  wasnt the only title to go unused. There was no Metroid either.

Medal of Honor was no Goldeneye but PS1 had shooters as good as any N64 had after Goldeneye. PD was highly anticipated and was a big let down. I sold this title at launch $70 SRP and everyone was expecting Goldeneye or better. The lack of sales had nothing to do with timing. People just didnt like the game.  Im sure you will find a ton ten lists that includes Goldeneye but few top ten lists will have more than that 1 N64 title. What would the N64 be without the one title Goldeneye? Would it still be your favorite?

I hope no one gets mad at me for saying this but I prefer Perfect Dark to Golden Eye any day. Perfect Dark was Goldeneye on crack. I've heard many rumors that Perfect Dark was going to be Golden Eye 2 until Rare lost the license to shitty EA.

Thing about the PS1 is I was never in a situation where me and 3 other friends wanted to sit down and play a game of Medal of Honor. We did on the other hand play N64 for hours on end. Whether it was (Golden Eye, PD, Mario Kart, Mario Party etc...). The PS1 seemed like a lone wolf type of system. With so many RPG's and Solo Platformers I think thats a given. You sit down and just want to play by yourself. Most N64 games had a Multiplayer feature but a very small percentage of PS1 games did. 

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:08:12 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
That must be it. If I get a bunch of friends together the last thing we would do is play games.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:24:13 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Goldeneye isn't even regarded as the best N64 title, that Zelda OOT, which is often debated as the greatest game of all time.  This is one the best unbiased top 10 lists I've seen, where the author complied as many top 10 lists as he could find (from reputable magazines), and used statistics to rank them overall.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com...

The top 10:

1) Zelda OOT (N64)
2) Super Mario 64 (N64)
3) Tetris
4) Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
5) Zelda Link to the Past
6) Goldeneye (N64)
7) Super Mario Bros.
8) Half-Life 2
9) Doom
10) Super Mario World

The thing with Mario 64 is that it's even more love / hate than Zelda OOT.  Many people HATE Mario in 3D.  Many people love it.  The two sides will never agree.  I personally had Mario 64 ahead of Mario 3 as my favorite in the series, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 trumped them both.  The game was THAT good.

But I'm telling you, PD came out too late to be relevant to many N64 fans.  In 1996 I was 12. Goldeneye was 1997 and when you're 13, playing video games / sports were at the top of the list of things to do.  By 2000 I was 16, and with 16 comes driving, so video games take a huge backseat.  You know what else came in in 2000?  PS2.  PS2 was the final knife in the N64 and many people moved on.

And in my experiences, most people disliked Perfect Dark because they expected Goldeneye 2.  It's not Goldeneye 2, it's a stand alone game.  Each had pros and cons, but yes many prefer 007 to PD.  I still have both in my top 5 N64 games though.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:43:59 AM
cosmicjim (47)

(cosmic jim) < El Ripper >
United States
Those polls run kind of like elections. It seems there's a strong core of nintendo fans that aren't very experienced outside of nintendo. That core is going to swing votes in their favor pretty easily, and the timing of the emergence of the internet and n64 makes the n64s online presence even more powerful. In just 5 years I bet those lists will be radically different with less n64 titles.

Especially when compared to pc games, goldeneye should never be on a first person shooter list.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:32:35 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
And the original Super Mario Bros. is a complete turd when compared to anything else in the series. What's your point? The only time I've played SMB is when I'm testing a NES system and flipping it. Otherwise it will forever stay in the 80s for me, exactly where it belongs.

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:46:22 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

And the original Super Mario Bros. is a complete turd when compared to anything else in the series. What's your point? The only time I've played SMB is when I'm testing a NES system and flipping it. Otherwise it will forever stay in the 80s for me, exactly where it belongs.

I think he means to say that even during the N64 heyday the best shooters were on PC. This is/was a common argument that I remember hearing back then by many die hard FPS fans.

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:47:59 PM
Wavingflags2 (23)

(Roy Cisneros) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
lol I tried to sell it on here for $20 for awhile and nobody bought it. glad i still have it now though