Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What's up with all the Dank Collectors? where have all the cowboys gone?

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:37:53 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Definition - A dank collector is a collector that only collects the main stream, power titles whether they be played out, over hyped or genuinely good. A dank collecor mocks those who have genuine interest in rarity, obsurity, creativity and generally any other collector who has an opinion other than what all the total rad brajs on youtube think. Dank collectors spend hours reading wikpedia articles highlighting the general information, never questioning the hype or being critical of the genuinely good games.

So whats up w em all? It's strange to me to see how these collecting scenes have evolved from full sets, unlicensed, bootlegs, region specific, homebrew/repro, etc to such a level high level of dank collectors. Its confusing to me because all of these dank ass games (Mega Man, Zelda, Mario, even Earthbound) are so easily played and experienced legally for like $5 from Nintendo. I get it. People wana play NIntendo's. But to collect a fuckton of dank Nintendo games just to play them on a Nintendo just doesnt make sense.

When I lurked these forums in 2012 and joined in 2013, obscurity collectors ran wild. Whether it would be collecting every GameBoy Color color to hundreds of JP carts, going for after these daunting tasks was encouraged and supported. So, what happened?

From what I seen, these dank collectors chastise those who go for sets, criticising them for "buying that shovelware/crap", or "why would you buy 20 GameBoys? You cant play them all", and "Who would pay that much for such a bad (actually rare) game?". So what happens now is, the dank collectors chase all the creative collectors back into the shadows. Websites like these were made to make these kind of people for comfortable sharing their collections and spreading information of the obscure onto the web.

Probably the most telling trait of a dank collector is their retreat from the "hobby" as fast as the come. They sell their dank collections to other dank collectors and move on. Things like back story, heritage, the culture of gaming are not important to the dank collectors. Dont get me wrong, being a dank collector is cool. Mega Man is a great series. Mario is my man. Zelda bores me but I fuck w first party titles as much as the next guy. It just gets to me seeing dank collectors coming at people who care collecting whatever they want.

-------------------------

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:44:10 PM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
I'm afraid of expressing my opinion on this topic because the dank collectors will cyber-bully me.

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:44:47 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: WashYourFace

I'm afraid of expressing my opinion on this topic because the dank collectors will cyber-bully me.

You're in a safe place, jay.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:45:24 PM
Ethan4972 (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
and here I thought we would talk about this... https://www.reddit.com/r/thomasth...
xD

my gameboy collection is coming along nicely!

Still looking for a gameboy light and gameboy micro!

Sega reference before I dip. -Fiery Reign at June 11 at 3:12:06 AM

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:49:37 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
Lol more like dank memes:

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:53:17 PM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Alright, I collect Sachen games and I'm not afraid to admit it.
I've beaten more than half the games on Action 52.
I own 2 CRT's so I can play lightgun games!

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:55:11 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania

Alright, I collect Sachen games and I'm not afraid to admit it.
I've beaten more than half the games on Action 52.
I own 2 CRT's so I can play lightgun games!

I am two CIB GBC away from the fully US set and have over 30 homebrew games. I own 0 SNES games and around 200 Atari 2600 games.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:56:46 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
I mean. I would call folks like that 'retro-gamers' but not collectors. But that's just like... my opinion, man.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:00:55 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Faxanadude

I mean. I would call folks like that 'retro-gamers' but not collectors. But that's just like... my opinion, man.

Idk man, a retro gamer in my ûmber opinionè would be more likely to play EB on a flash cart or a virtual console instead of speading big money just to play a dank ass game.

Edit: Meek Millz is a retro gamer

Edited: 07/30/2015 at 01:24 AM by RegularGuyGamer

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:04:30 AM
batteriesnotincluded (19)
(Devil S. Advocate) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Dank should be smoked, not collected.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:08:48 AM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Just bought a Turbografx because it was missing in my life. Have a Fuckton of Dank Ass Game Stacks! Will i sell? Don't worry about it. I'm too busy trying to set up my 400lb 27inch CRT I've had in my closet since i was 15 so that people take me more seriously as a Dank Ass Game Collector! Why you hatin?

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:12:02 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
LMAO haters gna hate man what can I say?? But if you're buying a TB16 you're clearly crossing over from dank to the dark side.

Edited: 07/30/2015 at 12:14 AM by RegularGuyGamer

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:13:35 AM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
I don't even own a copy of Earthbound and have never played it.
I own SMB3 but I don't really like it.
That's how undank I am.
I only pretend to like ChronoTrigger to be ironic.

(just kidding about ChronoTrigger, that game is awesome)

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:14:24 AM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
I'm all up in the dark dank side!

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:16:08 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

LMAO haters gna hate man what can I say?? But if you're buying a TB16 you're clearly crossing over from dank to the dark side.

so fahking hipster dank you dont even call it by the real name

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:28:05 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

so fahking hipster dank you dont even call it by the real name

So meta of you to call someone whos calling someone dank, dank. Real meta, Corey

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:43:08 AM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Ok if the so called "dank collectors" leave the hobby so fast then why bother worrying about them? i did not know we even had sub names for other collectors besides the collector/reseller.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:49:03 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
They just pass the dank onto the next batch of dank-sters

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:50:52 AM
tsx222 (0)

(T X) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Dank it! Whea da dankahz dangstahz atz? All dat dank asidez, I think you have a good point. I have been lurking around here for a few years, here and there, before I decided to join. You have a good point about how it used to be all about sharing, discussing, and enjoying obscure items (in other words, items dankz wouldn't want anyway). At this point, I pretty much have all I want. I have stopped buying all together becuz of da dank hypez my mang n errbody wikipediaing now an expert on da dank collectin. On a personal note, more ever annoying, relating to my local area, is the now hordes of fad dank followers at the flea market, thrift stores, media stores, and video game places turning over every rock and cranny at the ever empty and hollow places mentioned above that have already been dug through and through countless months and years before. One owner of a video game/thrift store I talked to said that the same guys come in around the same time everyday asking if there was anything new. They would tell the owner that they have the same routine almost every fucking day hitting the local thrifts, but come to him first on their route. I asked him if he asked them if they worked. The owner said that he didn't ask but it didn't seem like they did because they hit their route every day. I said that why don't these guys just buy online since he (the owner) base his prices off Ebay. The owner just replied "I don't know." Anyway, dank collecting and its irrational effect at its finest.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:51:12 AM
Arr_Adam (1)
(Adam M) < Meka Chicken >
Saskatchewan
I liked Batman Forever and the vast, by a very wide margin, majority of my collection is the "worthless PS2 junk that will never be worth what the real classics are". I think I'm in a minority here.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:03:58 AM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
I feel like my exer-reputation proves I am not dank in the slightest...it would be funny to just mention Exertainment in some of the facebook collector groups I'm a part of that are only familiar with Conker's Bad Fur Day, Earthbound and Mega Man and see what happens. I had trouble selling an extra IZEK 1500 and game in a group because nobody knew what it was! lol

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Edited: 07/30/2015 at 01:04 AM by theirontoupee

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:08:05 AM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Since websites are making up  collector names i want to be apart of one of the following sub collector groups, CornballsExtreme Collector, Youtuber collector or Bigfat jerk collector.

Pick one for me so i can have a title to show off on NA, Maybe i can convince a mod to make me a badge.

Edited: 07/30/2015 at 01:09 AM by zredgemz

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:23:04 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: tsx222

Dank it! Whea da dankahz dangstahz atz? All dat dank asidez, I think you have a good point. I have been lurking around here for a few years, here and there, before I decided to join. You have a good point about how it used to be all about sharing, discussing, and enjoying obscure items (in other words, items dankz wouldn't want anyway). At this point, I pretty much have all I want. I have stopped buying all together becuz of da dank hypez my mang n errbody wikipediaing now an expert on da dank collectin. On a personal note, more ever annoying, relating to my local area, is the now hordes of fad dank followers at the flea market, thrift stores, media stores, and video game places turning over every rock and cranny at the ever empty and hollow places mentioned above that have already been dug through and through countless months and years before. One owner of a video game/thrift store I talked to said that the same guys come in around the same time everyday asking if there was anything new. They would tell the owner that they have the same routine almost every fucking day hitting the local thrifts, but come to him first on their route. I asked him if he asked them if they worked. The owner said that he didn't ask but it didn't seem like they did because they hit their route every day. I said that why don't these guys just buy online since he (the owner) base his prices off Ebay. The owner just replied "I don't know." Anyway, dank collecting and its irrational effect at its finest.

Lol that was awesome. Very similar thing happened around me. "hordes of dank followers at the flea market" descripes my experience to the tee.

Originally posted by: theirontoupee

I feel like my exer-reputation proves I am not dank in the slightest...it would be funny to just mention Exertainment in some of the facebook collector groups I'm a part of that are only familiar with Conker's Bad Fur Day, Earthbound and Mega Man and see what happens. I had trouble selling an extra IZEK 1500 and game in a group because nobody knew what it was! lol

I actually think of you as the exertainment guy Lol

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:26:49 AM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
I finally snagged a GemVenture! I'm a dank to you

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:29:21 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: K3VBOT

I finally snagged a GemVenture! I'm a dank to you
D: Duuuddee!! I think you just danked the cake.