Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contest Summer Tournament Presents Round 2: Rush n' Attack Contest ends Sunday, 7/19/15 at 11 PM NA time

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:39:57 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

(Tier 1) 14400 Level 3

What happened to the toploader? You using something else? Just fyi,changing your setup during a contest is frowned upon (especially if going from cart to emulator) and could invalidate your scores.

Lol Na, I'm still on the toploader. You can prob see the vertical bars in the picture lol. It's just closer to the couch so I could hit the reset button.

So true. Switching equipment would be a violation. Penalty is a knuckle sandwich.

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:00:47 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Everybody better post scores this week, original hardware or not. I feel like a pretty long shot here but I don't want any gimmes either.

Does that count as smack talk, can I get an icon for that?

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:58:06 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Lol Na, I'm still on the toploader. You can prob see the vertical bars in the picture lol. It's just closer to the couch so I could hit the reset button.

Those jailbars must be painful to look at on that huge TV! I hooked my frontloader back up because I got tired of looking at them on my 14" CRT. The top loader AV mod did lighten them up, but they're still visible enough to be annoying.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:17:24 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Those jailbars must be painful to look at on that huge TV! I hooked my frontloader back up because I got tired of looking at them on my 14" CRT. The top loader AV mod did lighten them up, but they're still visible enough to be annoying.

I hate to say it but they are nearly unbearable! I just had the thought this morning to plug in the front loader.

It's a shame the picture quality is so poor because it definitely "works?" better. I mean my woman booted the thing kickoff style last night, literally end over end lol, but it never skipped a beat.

That's really the only thing it has over the front loader. Well, that and it's kinda cooler I guess.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:21:07 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I hate to say it but they are nearly unbearable! I just had the thought this morning to plug in the front loader. It's a shame the picture quality is so poor because it definitely "works?" better. I mean my woman booted the thing kickoff style last night, literally end over end lol, but it never skipped a beat. That's really the only thing it has over the front loader. Well, that and it's kinda cooler I guess.

Get some bean bag chairs! When you need to vent your frustrations with a game, nothing gets broken and they are a lot easier on the fists/feet.

Edited: 07/16/2015 at 11:22 AM by bearcat-doug

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:40:31 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I hate to say it but they are nearly unbearable! I just had the thought this morning to plug in the front loader. It's a shame the picture quality is so poor because it definitely "works?" better. I mean my woman booted the thing kickoff style last night, literally end over end lol, but it never skipped a beat. That's really the only thing it has over the front loader. Well, that and it's kinda cooler I guess.

Get some bean bag chairs! When you need to vent your frustrations with a game, nothing gets broken and they are a lot easier on the fists/feet.

Lol! Perhaps I should clarify it was an accident. She didn't have her glasses on and she's not so nimble on her feet lol crash, bang, toploader flying through the air...

Beanbag chairs are a good idea though.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:23:59 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Lol! Perhaps I should clarify it was an accident. She didn't have her glasses on and she's not so nimble on her feet lol crash, bang, toploader flying through the air...

Beanbag chairs are a good idea though.

I don't know if you've gotten to the paratrooper boss at the end of Level 5 or not, but I suggest getting a punching bag ready.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:21:01 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Fingers crossed for you. Mine is set to come Sat. made me super mad as it should have been here today the 16th. I don't even have a controller to play online with.

Originally posted by: Thundercat08

Exact same thing.

Originally posted by: Red

I don't have this game and I don't use emulators. Any chance someone here has an extra to sell?

I bought one on ebay last night with the hopes that it will ship today and I'll have it around Wednesday. I don't really want to use an emulator either, but I guess I don't have much of a choice until my cart gets here.

I checked the tracking number and mine should get here today. Hopefully I already own the next game if I manage to get to the finals.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:49:20 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Fingers crossed for you. Mine is set to come Sat. made me super mad as it should have been here today the 16th. I don't even have a controller to play online with.

Exact same thing.

Originally posted by: Red

I don't have this game and I don't use emulators. Any chance someone here has an extra to sell?

I bought one on ebay last night with the hopes that it will ship today and I'll have it around Wednesday. I don't really want to use an emulator either, but I guess I don't have much of a choice until my cart gets here.

I checked the tracking number and mine should get here today. Hopefully I already own the next game if I manage to get to the finals.

I just got a tracking email that mine was delivered, so it should be waiting on me when I get home. The game shop near me carries USB controllers, so at least I have that to fall back on in a pinch.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:40:03 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I haven't got to play this much so far,so we'll see how it will go. This will definitely be an interesting week as I'm not sure who will do what or what it will take to advance.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:49:56 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I haven't got to play this much so far,so we'll see how it will go. This will definitely be an interesting week as I'm not sure who will do what or what it will take to advance.

As you secretly sit on a sub 10k score at the end of the game right?

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:39:04 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

As you secretly sit on a sub 10k score at the end of the game right?

9k actually

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:53:56 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

(Tier 1) 14400 Level 3

What happened to the toploader? You using something else? Just fyi,changing your setup during a contest is frowned upon (especially if going from cart to emulator) and could invalidate your scores.

Hmm, is that so?  I hadn't heard of that before. I was hoping to do exactly that last week because I was on the road Sunday. I played DK Classics on my PSP, but between the bumpy roads an a not original hardwarer setup with small screen, it didn't go well. I didn't even come close to the score I submitted on the NES.

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:34:25 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: ninjistar

Originally posted by: gutsman004 Originally posted by: skinnygrinny (Tier 1) 14400 Level 3
What happened to the toploader? You using something else? Just fyi,changing your setup during a contest is frowned
upon (especially if going from cart to emulator) and could invalidate your scores.

Hmm, is that so?  I hadn't heard of that before. I was hoping to do exactly that last week because I was on the road Sunday. I played DK Classics on my PSP, but between the bumpy roads an a not original hardwarer setup with small screen, it didn't go well. I didn't even come close to the score I submitted on the NES.

I don't think it's an official rule and it's mainly pertains to switching from playing on a console to emulators. Had a few people in the past a few years ago do that and it raised some questions about their scores. Not implying that anyone is doing that,just stating what happened in the past. Honestly,I think we have a really great group of gamers in these contests right now.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:28:20 AM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York

Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

I'm not asking for hints or secrets to be given away, but I can't manage to get through the first stage with less than 3,000 points. I know about running under the jumpers, but I personally can't figure out how you guys are getting past the second wave of enemies at the end without killing the three jumpers. If you run under them and stab the regular runner, the pause from your knife attack gets you killed. Oh well, after Sunday passes maybe someone can elaborate for me?

I like to compete fair and in good form. youve got the idea. Just need a lil better execution.

It took me a while before I realized the runner moves faster than the jumpers.  I was waiting closer to the left side of the screen originally which is why I couldn't pull it off.

Really surprised at the lack of early score submissions compared to Donkey Kong Jr.  I probabnly won't submit one until Sunday, make you guys sweat a little

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:37:32 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I'm not asking for hints or secrets to be given away, but I can't manage to get through the first stage with less than 3,000 points. I know about running under the jumpers, but I personally can't figure out how you guys are getting past the second wave of enemies at the end without killing the three jumpers. If you run under them and stab the regular runner, the pause from your knife attack gets you killed. Oh well, after Sunday passes maybe someone can elaborate for me?

I like to compete fair and in good form. youve got the idea. Just need a lil better execution.

It took me a while before I realized the runner moves faster than the jumpers.  I was waiting closer to the left side of the screen originally which is why I couldn't pull it off.

Really surprised at the lack of early score submissions compared to Donkey Kong Jr.  I probabnly won't submit one until Sunday, make you guys sweat a little

I was surprised to see the early submissions last week.

if I make it to next weeks shooter it's all but over anyway you and others are just in another league in that genre.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:14:12 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I was surprised to see the early submissions last week. if I make it to next weeks shooter it's all but over anyway you and others are just in another league in that genre.

I wish we had more early submissions. I think it's more fun to have the leaderboard basically updated in real time so you know where you stand instead of having to hit the refresh button nonstop the last 5 minutes of the contest Sunday night waiting for the real scores to come in.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:53:03 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
That last 5 min for DK Jr. was so nerve racking!!

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:59:13 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

You were safe. I on the other hand was definitely sweating it out. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:09:35 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Maybe some competitors are just sandbagging 'til the end but I went ahead a threw up an early score thinking I may/may not try to go lower. I'm honestly surprised that noone else has gotten to the end yet (even for tier 3 which you get more lives to burn). At each 100k, you get another. Plus, I give it that there are some cheap death traps and I wish you could carry over the sub weapon at the end, even if you don't use all of it. I know alot complain about the up for jump but there's only a few times I found frustrating, one in particular when you are coming down and try to jump again. Didn't happen all the time but sometimes I couldn't jump again. Then again, it's probably just me not reacting fast enough.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:11:27 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I'm probably going to be sweating it out this week unless I can manage to beat the game. After those DK scores, I still wouldn't feel too sure about my chances of moving on.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:15:22 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I'm probably going to be sweating it out this week unless I can manage to beat the game. After those DK scores, I still wouldn't feel too sure about my chances of moving on.

I think one will most likely need a "game complete" next to there score, in order to advance, that still might not be enough :/

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:18:42 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I think one will most likely need a "game complete" next to there score, in order to advance, that still might not be enough :/

That's what I'm afraid of. If I can figure out a sure fire way to get past those paratroopers at the end of level 5, I might have a shot. Level 6 isn't really that bad except for the part towards the end.

Edited: 07/17/2015 at 01:19 PM by bearcat-doug

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:22:02 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Caleb47

Maybe some competitors are just sandbagging 'til the end but I went ahead a threw up an early score thinking I may/may not try to go lower. I'm honestly surprised that noone else has gotten to the end yet (even for tier 3 which you get more lives to burn). At each 100k, you get another. Plus, I give it that there are some cheap death traps and I wish you could carry over the sub weapon at the end, even if you don't use all of it. I know alot complain about the up for jump but there's only a few times I found frustrating, one in particular when you are coming down and try to jump again. Didn't happen all the time but sometimes I couldn't jump again. Then again, it's probably just me not reacting fast enough.

I've been able to finish the game a few times, but the one life rule isn't doing me any favors. It's just too easy to make a single mistake and ruin your entire run.

Edited: 07/17/2015 at 01:22 PM by bearcat-doug

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:00:37 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Oh ya BTW bearcat-doug said he would volunteer to keep track of what checkpoint I was at for me, cause I'm kinda wetarded like that lol.

Thanks bearcat-doug your alright by me no matter what guts says about ya. Haha