Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Potential score of the century? "sealed" Dragon Warrior IV

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:30:57 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
(Robin Mihara) < Bowser >
Oregon
Originally posted by: OSG

Originally posted by: robin

I <3 lowballing. 5% get through, so why not take a shot?

Robin if you lowball any harder they will be dragging the ground man. Try explaining that to a girl. It's not herpes, it's road rash. I promise you she will put you on her ignore list. When you've been riding high end dong for like 50 bajillion years or whatever and are basically a dong expert you know you should blow off lowballers at least 2 or 3 times because they aren't as refined about dongs or something.

Im confused and thinking about getting sad.

I just meant that 5% of my lowball offers get through, not that I offer 5%.  I offer like 40%, just incase they just want to sell.  If they get offended, then I probably didn't want to kick it with a sensitive girly man anyway, so no skin off Deez.

-movie star status coming soon-

-------------------------

www.ecstasyoforder.com...

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:31:27 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well when your prices are overpriced eBay BINs, of course you are going to get lowballs, what else what you expect? They know you are overpriced so they intentionally underprices with the expectations of meeting somewhere in the middle.

But if your item is priced relatively close to the market value, a lowball is a slap in the face.

Not to mention, if you list all of your prices as OBO, then of course you are opening the door for offers and should respond appropriately. I don't list that way, I list with fixed prices on here or auction / BIN format on eBay.

No, again, you don't get it unfortunately. Better chance next time.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:34:22 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Well when your prices are overpriced eBay BINs, of course you are going to get lowballs, what else what you expect? They know you are overpriced so they intentionally underprices with the expectations of meeting somewhere in the middle.

But if your item is priced relatively close to the market value, a lowball is a slap in the face.

Not to mention, if you list all of your prices as OBO, then of course you are opening the door for offers and should respond appropriately. I don't list that way, I list with fixed prices on here or auction / BIN format on eBay.

Unfortunately, there's no right way, you do your things yours and I'll do it mine.  Looks like 125 people have been happy with the way I do things so I'll take my chances. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:36:11 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Honestly guillavoie has pretty competitive prices. Prices are only dictated by what someone is willing to spend. Just because you were willing to spend $150 on a Clayfighters manual, doesn't make it worth $150. It seems a bit ridiculous to think that prices are dictated by one persons offerings and that alone. I'd say a manual of this rarity is worth about $50, because that is, in honesty, what I would probably pay for one.

eBay listings here

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:39:23 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Same thing on my side.
I meant the subject we're debating here is simply being nice or mean against lowballers, period.
You always extrapolate in such manners that the subject completely deviates from its original content.

I was just saying, no matter what was the exact context, ''I'm always nice to everyone, even with lowballers.''

EDIT: And yes, like Qix just said, I'm not only doing overpriced BINs with OBO. There's full range of strategies in my pricing, though I will give you the right that I don't do Auction + BIN on some items that I should consider listing that way.
Anyway, most of the time, my sale finish off-ebay, with a cut on multiple purchases.

Edited: 07/26/2010 at 01:06 PM by guillavoie

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:39:25 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon

Unfortunately, there's no right way, you do your things yours and I'll do it mine.  Looks like 125 people have been happy with the way I do things so I'll take my chances. 

that is pretty bad logic to go by... feedback helps, but doesn't mean you are perfect.

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

eBay listings here

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:42:47 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: qixmaster

Honestly guillavoie has pretty competitive prices. Prices are only dictated by what someone is willing to spend. Just because you were willing to spend $150 on a Clayfighters manual, doesn't make it worth $150. It seems a bit ridiculous to think that prices are dictated by one persons offerings and that alone. I'd say a manual of this rarity is worth about $50, because that is, in honesty, what I would probably pay for one.

Anyone listing on eBay on a high dollar OBO item ($600+), they could list it here for $50 cheaper and net the same amount of money due to eBay fees.  Or for cheaper items, it could be listed here for 15% cheaper.  So while "competitive" it still has some puffer built into it.

And my how quickly we forget.  MRN offered $10k for an SE box and everyone, even yahoo, stated "Box is worth $10k!" Then he got it and the price plummeted.

As much I would like to, you are correct that I cannot dictate the Sculptor's Cut manual market.  However, I just tried selling one and knew what offers came my way considering I had 6 legitimately interested parties (aka $100+).  But what do I know.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:46:21 PM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia

But what do I know.

Do you know why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:46:55 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
No, but I know that Trix are for kids

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:49:05 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
dix are for batty, that's what i know.

eBay listings here

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:50:17 PM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: dixmaster

dix are for batty, that's what i know.

You would know!

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:53:21 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
^yes, you've seen my hands and how big they make you look.

EDIT: Holy shit, dixmaster just made by day.

eBay listings here

Edited: 07/26/2010 at 12:55 PM by qixmaster

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:12:51 PM
Retroscribe81 (241)
(Bill H) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Well, just as an update, nothing yet. The guy has 2 locations - one of them has been closed the past couple days and the other location isn't answering their phone.

Ahh...the life of a hunter!

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:25:53 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Thanks for putting this thread back on track Bill.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:02:05 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
I'd say that if he sold you a MTPO for 0.50 I'd just go with the lowest offer you'd think he'd go for. If he got the sealed DW4 for like 2$, and you offered 30$ he'd probably be eager to flip it for that assuming that he does no "advanced" research(most likely he'd just look up results for loose DW4 copies thinking the value was 30-50.)

An example would be that I once found a bunch of PS1 sealed games locally at a Play/Game N Trade, and I knew the guy used Ebay to price his store stock. However despite this he'd constantly price things either way too high, or way too low. So after some time dealing with him I had an idea what to look for, and the key was I knew what he bought stuff like that for when it was traded/sold into his shop. I pretty much hit the lowest price I could have gotten it from him for, and in the end got some killer sealed PS1 stuff for cheap.

It doesn't matter what the sealed DW4 is actually worth today. It only matters what he'll think it's worth.

Edited: 07/26/2010 at 04:04 PM by Armageddon Potato

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:07:06 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
^ and also hopefully not as sensitive as some sellers on here if he wants a little more than you offer, maybe he will negotiate.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:47:54 PM
American Dreams (2)

(Kris Kueker) < Tourian Tourist >
Missouri
As someone who buys and sells stuff other than video games, I tend to do everything I can to let the seller---the person who has inherently said, I make a living by coming up with prices for things and hoping that you pay them---set the price and go from there.

We all know how the song and dance goes...."How much you want for it?" "Well, what's it worth to you?" In these instances I try to cut the tension with something like, "Hey, I can't buy it AND sell it." If that gets no response, I usually try to feel them out with a "Well, what do you have in it?" Most people don't want to volunteer that information or do but tack on some profit to it.

Another good one as the situation escalates is to say, "Well, I don't bargain against myself--what were you hoping to get?"

Whatever the case may be, I think it's immensely powerful to get the seller to set the price because value is relative to everyone, but if a seller does his/her job and sets the price, no one's feelings are going to get hurt and you can do other deals later.

I'll leave you with a quick story...friend of mine was at an auction bidding on Civil War calvary swords. Just a guy's house, swords passed down through the family, no one knew what they were any more, etc. etc. Bidding started at $10. Got up near a thousand or so (the price he knew he'd have a buyer at) as one other guy just matched him dollar for dollar. He finally let them go, the guy won. My friend asked him later, "Sir, do you know what you've got there?"

"My buddy's swords. They hung over his fireplace for years. I don't know why you wanted them so bad, but I was prepared to give anything for them because I knew how much he liked them." He had no idea their open market value, just their "value" to him.

Collecting goes like that sometime.

Hopefully I was helpful....long-time lurker, infrequent commenter. This site is awesome.

KSK

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:03:39 PM
tuxedocivic (94)
(Ryan Bouma) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia
^ You're awesome.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:04:54 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: American Dreams

As someone who buys and sells stuff other than video games, I tend to do everything I can to let the seller---the person who has inherently said, I make a living by coming up with prices for things and hoping that you pay them---set the price and go from there.

We all know how the song and dance goes...."How much you want for it?" "Well, what's it worth to you?" In these instances I try to cut the tension with something like, "Hey, I can't buy it AND sell it." If that gets no response, I usually try to feel them out with a "Well, what do you have in it?" Most people don't want to volunteer that information or do but tack on some profit to it.

Another good one as the situation escalates is to say, "Well, I don't bargain against myself--what were you hoping to get?"

Whatever the case may be, I think it's immensely powerful to get the seller to set the price because value is relative to everyone, but if a seller does his/her job and sets the price, no one's feelings are going to get hurt and you can do other deals later.

I'll leave you with a quick story...friend of mine was at an auction bidding on Civil War calvary swords. Just a guy's house, swords passed down through the family, no one knew what they were any more, etc. etc. Bidding started at $10. Got up near a thousand or so (the price he knew he'd have a buyer at) as one other guy just matched him dollar for dollar. He finally let them go, the guy won. My friend asked him later, "Sir, do you know what you've got there?"

"My buddy's swords. They hung over his fireplace for years. I don't know why you wanted them so bad, but I was prepared to give anything for them because I knew how much he liked them." He had no idea their open market value, just their "value" to him.

Hopefully I was helpful....long-time lurker, infrequent commenter. This site is awesome.

KSK
Great post.  I enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for sharing.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:10:23 PM
BalloonFight (233)
(Kyle Allen) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
Originally posted by: American Dreams

KSK

Really great post!

Always looking for early issues of these magazines: GameFan, Tips and Tricks, Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Don't be afraid to send me a PM if you have any of these. I would love to give you some games for your magazines. :)

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:38:35 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

I don't know what Jonas is trying to prove with his lowball hating philosophy. I personally received hundreds of lowballs offer on valuable item over time, and never responded negatively or get pissed for it. I usually simply answer what I think about the item, and why it should be worth way more than what they were offering.
Sometimes, they just realize it's out of their spending range, say thank you and it's done. Sometimes, they just read  their offer according to my view, and I ended doing some relatively nice sales that started with ridiculous lowball offer.
I agree with Qix, you got to show you're the bigger man and be nice whatever happens.
I would even say that over time, I became less and less susceptible about lowball offers on my valuable items.

great attitude.  let me ask you this.   how do you deal with people that are doing it just to piss you off.   Like when you list something worth about your BIN (Say 1000) but maybe not too many people know its valuable and they offer you $1 and you know they are just doing it to piss you off because they think (but are wrong) that the price is way off.   Like say on a rare sealed black box where the collector is used to seeing it cib for 50 and incorrectly thinks it must be only a hundred or two sealed.     I usually respond by counter offering $999 heheh.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 07/26/2010 at 06:39 PM by Bronty

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:51:12 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Hahaha, I think I've responded a couple times with a "one dollar under BIN price" offer as well.

Usually I just let the offer remain there until it expires. Well thought, a one dollar offer is still a pending offer and might push somebody else to offer his price. So basically I consider these lowballers as more helpful than anything.

Edited: 07/26/2010 at 07:19 PM by guillavoie

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:04:08 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States

Hahaha, I think I've responded a couple times with a "one dollar under BIN price" as well.

Ususally I just let the offer remain there until it expires. Well thought, a one dollar offer is still a pending offer and might push somebody else to offer his price. So basically I consider these lowballers as more helpful than anything.

I usually let them sit for the same reason. But a few times when, as Dan said, they are intentionally trying to piss me off, I'll counter 1 penny under the BIN. Then when they counter again, I'll drop it ANOTHER penny with a "You'd be crazy to pass up a deal like this" message.  

Edited: 07/26/2010 at 07:08 PM by MoeDown

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:22:06 PM
Retroscribe81 (241)
(Bill H) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
I'm gonna start a new thread since this one got so off track...I bought the game. I think I got a good deal even if it is a reseal. Check new thread...

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:24:02 PM
American Dreams (2)

(Kris Kueker) < Tourian Tourist >
Missouri

Aw, you guys, trying to make the noob all welcome and stuff.

Anyhow, glad it looks like he bought the game and got a great deal on it. Thanks for sharing--I always love hearing about people's great deals.