Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Building a complete list of GAME BOY cartridge variants and errors. Please feel free to contribute! Google Sheets document provided.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:48:16 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: theirontoupee

Originally posted by: Foochie776

Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Originally posted by: theirontoupee

Are you counting the black carts as GBC or GB since they span both?

Black carts are GBC that can play on the GB if I'm not mistaken.

I believe you're correct there Mr. J!

Agreed, I just wasn't sure I this was going to count them since some people put them in a grey area as they play on both platforms and looked like regular GB carts aside from the color.

I base it on what the box says. Link's Awakening DX is a black cart and says GameBoy Color on the side of the box, same with Pokemon Gold and Silver, so that would be part of the GameBoy Color set for me. On the other hand, Pokemon Yellow has GBC functionality, but the box says "GameBoy" so it counts as a GB game.

If I were collecting a strictly GameBoy collection, I would probably include those anyway though, since they do play on the base system.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:48:49 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: RpgCollector

Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Are you counting games that have variants with or without the Game Boy logo on the side? I have no idea how many there are, but I didn't see any on your list.

I have never seen that Game Boy toxic Crusaders before (one on the left). It looks fake. Do you own it? If so please open and look at the board. If it has a big black glob then it is a reproduction out of Germany.

Looks like you're right, not legit. I got it from a store in the Netherlands if you're curious. Here's a pic.

-------------------------
Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:54:36 PM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: rlh

Originally posted by: hybrid

No errors  
http://iamerror.gamehacking.org/Nintendo.html

You reminded me I got to add the bill and Ted's

It's the only error I've ever seen and it's not hard to find.  If I recall, it's a bout a 1-to-4 ratio off errors vs. normal ones and it's not to uncommon.  I'm sure there are other error labels for the GB.  I've just not researched it.

Either of you have a pic of the Bill and Ted error comparison? All the ones on Ebay seem to have an error label - you can't read the LJN.

Edited: 02/09/2018 at 09:24 AM by TENGEN

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:51:05 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina

Originally posted by: RpgCollector

Are you counting games that have variants with or without the Game Boy logo on the side? I have no idea how many there are, but I didn't see any on your list.

I have never seen that Game Boy toxic Crusaders before (one on the left). It looks fake. Do you own it? If so please open and look at the board. If it has a big black glob then it is a reproduction out of Germany.

Looks like you're right, not legit. I got it from a store in the Netherlands if you're curious. Here's a pic.

Ok, I removed this from the master list.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:54:33 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

Jeff and I were just discussing some new variants this last 24 hours  

Here are a few more for your list:

Donkey Kong Land (-1 variant)
Donkey Kong Land (-2 variant [black E])
Donkey Kong Land 2 (-2 variant [black E])
Tetris (-2 variant)
Dr. Mario (-2 variant [black E])
Super Mario Land (-2 variant [black E])
Super Mario Land 2 (-2 variant [black E])

Curious, were all of the -2, Rated E games you mentioned in the lot that you found?  If so, would you mind taking some higher quality photos of each one and posting them here and to the NA database?  If these were really reissued in 1999 they, ironically, might be some of the rarest variants for Game Boy.  My logic is that these games were so popular, I can't imagine that by 1999 the markets weren't saturated and most people, if they wanted these games, would probably opt for the $2-3 used copy in good condition at Funcoland.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:29:28 AM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana

Jeff and I were just discussing some new variants this last 24 hours  

Here are a few more for your list:

Donkey Kong Land (-1 variant)
Donkey Kong Land (-2 variant [black E])
Donkey Kong Land 2 (-2 variant [black E])
Tetris (-2 variant)
Dr. Mario (-2 variant [black E])
Super Mario Land (-2 variant [black E])
Super Mario Land 2 (-2 variant [black E])

Curious, were all of the -2, Rated E games you mentioned in the lot that you found?  If so, would you mind taking some higher quality photos of each one and posting them here and to the NA database?  If these were really reissued in 1999 they, ironically, might be some of the rarest variants for Game Boy.  My logic is that these games were so popular, I can't imagine that by 1999 the markets weren't saturated and most people, if they wanted these games, would probably opt for the $2-3 used copy in good condition at Funcoland.

Yeah, I can do that. Not all were in the lot but I believe I have them all available except links awakening. Still need to get that one....

Please see the new goodness:   www.videogamesage.com

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:32:11 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
It's been my experience that Link's Awakening isn't to tough to find if you just keep looking. My copy has the typical wear at the top, so I'm still looking for one in better condition. My rough estimate is that they exist at about a 100-to-1 ratio of all other variants. People love Zelda, so I imagine that so long as there were copies on the shelf, there was always a slow trickle of purchasers.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:34:58 AM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
Yeah, I've been trying to hold out for a non top label wear copy myself as well ...

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:47:29 AM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Did a bit more searching and found the Bill and Ted LJN logo label differences:

Edited: 02/09/2018 at 09:48 AM by TENGEN

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:49:07 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: TENGEN

Did a bit more searching and found the Bill and Ted LJN logo label differences:

Yeah, that's it exactly.  It's the LJN logo. I have both too.  I can try to take a side-by-side of them in better lighting.

EDIT

I take that back.  I just checked my master list.  I just have the error version and apparently didn't go and buy the normal copy.  I'll need to fill that gap soon.  I guess I won't be taking that side-by-side after all. :/

Edited: 02/09/2018 at 09:52 AM by rlh

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:15:49 PM
RpgCollector (128)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that I pulled together of all Game Boy cartridge variants.  Please note, this is just original Game Boy US games. 

Google Sheets: List of Game Boy Variants

Some changes:

Add - 4in1 Fun Pak -1

Blades of Steel does not have a -2 only -1 Konami Label (does have -1 and -2 boxes not carts)
Jungle Book only has -1 THQ label no -2

Add Pokemon Blue modified E label -1
Add Pokemon Red modified E label -1
Add Tetris Made in Japan Label no dash (first label did not have made in japan)

Thats all for now.

Down to the last 2 Sega Game Gear games I need for the CIB USA set. What I will pay for CIB:

Fantastic Dizzy -$300 & Sports Illustrated -$300

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:48:02 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Apparantly I have that Tetris and I never documented it.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:59:27 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Neat list, I've got a good ~400 GB carts at home, I'll rifle through them for variants.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:18:08 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
I found and added Double Dribble: 5 on 5 to the list. I think Konami did a bunch of logo rebranding at some point and also consolidated the ultra line up. At some point I'll scour all Konami/Ultra games without variants and see what I can find. Feel free to preempt my efforts.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:13:32 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Added Fist of the North Star. I found that today in a lot.

Since I started more thoroughly paying attention, I've noticed that there a handful of games with label revisions like this one, but other than the added "-1", I can't see a single difference between the variants. I wonder why revisions were sometimes bumped by the publishers.

Edited: 02/13/2018 at 10:16 AM by rlh

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:04:21 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Added Home Alone.

Edited: 02/14/2018 at 06:04 PM by rlh

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:27:34 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Turns out I have dash-ones of Tecmo Bowl and Wheel of Fortune.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:42:05 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nothing new, but here's all 4 Tetris variants

Edit: wow, I need a greyer USA-1 cart.

Edited: 02/20/2018 at 01:43 AM by Splain

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:22:05 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Splain

Turns out I have dash-ones of Tecmo Bowl and Wheel of Fortune.

Thanks Splain!  This puts us just at a total of 600 unique, official cartridge variants.  Though after starting this endevour I'm sure there are many more to be discovered.

Edited: 02/20/2018 at 09:24 AM by rlh

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:48:25 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
This is a great list. I haven't ever really cared about label variants, but seeing them quantified and listed out... makes me kinda want them. Curse you rlh.

Does anyone know why Centipede has 2 different product codes? Seems like lots of games have switched publishers, but Centipede got a brand new product code, while the game remains the same. It's essentially a label variant.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:01:11 PM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

I dunno if this should be added as an error but all copies for the us say DMT instead of DMG

[EDIT] it appears there's correct copies out there

Edited: 02/20/2018 at 10:07 PM by hybrid

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:54:18 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Splain

This is a great list. I haven't ever really cared about label variants, but seeing them quantified and listed out... makes me kinda want them. Curse you rlh.

Does anyone know why Centipede has 2 different product codes? Seems like lots of games have switched publishers, but Centipede got a brand new product code, while the game remains the same. It's essentially a label variant.

Have you actually played both games? (I haven't.) It was my understanding that though both were licensed Centipede games, they were two differently developed games.  I could be wrong, though.

Also, I honestly didn't realize I'd get the "variant hunting" bug until I started this.  I simply hoped the list I extracted from here on NA was missing only a few.  Now, it's like your an archeologist looking for rare and obscure copies of something that are hidden in plain site.  I've always written off variants and only collected them because it made the quest a bit more interesting.  Now, I'm starting to feel that variant hunting is a bit more fun than just hunting for the master list!

Edited: 02/21/2018 at 10:09 AM by rlh

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:55:36 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: hybrid

I dunno if this should be added as an error but all copies for the us say DMT instead of DMG [EDIT] it appears there's correct copies out there 

Noooooo!  That's so awesome.  I have about 3-4 copies of this game that I need to look through.  This is definitely an error and something I'd like to personally hunt down.  Very good eye.  I've not heard or seen this.

EDIT

Ok, I only have two.  Both are "DMT" errors for DuckTales.

Edited: 02/21/2018 at 10:00 AM by rlh

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:03:16 AM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana

Also, I honestly didn't realize I'd get the "variant hunting" bug until I started this.  I simply hoped the list I extracted from here on NA was missing only a few.  Now, it's like your an archeologist looking for rare and obscure copies of something that are hidden in plain site.  I've always written off variants and only collected them because it made the quest a bit more interesting.  Now, I'm starting to feel that variant hunting is a bit more fun than just hunting for the master list!

Yes this thread has made me re-evaluate my set.  We will have to get a finalized number so people have a reference for that.  I am very close and it is looking like a total of around 600 carts is needed for a full variant run in the end I believe (including NFRs).  I will confirm once I get my collection back up to date with all these new additions.  

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:08:19 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Were there NFR Game Boy cartridges? I knew some GBC games started to show up, but I wasn't aware of NFRs. Those may be toward the end of my collecting. They can get to be pricey and I'll want them, but I do have other collecting goals. I'm mainly looking for stuff you could have walked into a store and bought. This makes NFRs a grey area to me when defining "officially released". Yes, they are official, but they weren't released for distribution.

EDIT

I see it now.  Yeah, there were at least a few.  Quick eBay search and I'm seeing Wario Land III, Tetris Attack, Kirby's Blockball and some others.  Oh well.  Some day, maybe.

Edited: 02/21/2018 at 11:13 AM by rlh