Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Playing the Genesis RPGs for the first time Currently Playing: Shining in the Darkness/Phantasy Star

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:09:12 AM
Zycrow (0)
< Little Mac >
So this year I've gotten back into the Sega Genesis library, and despite it being one of my favorite consoles since childhood, I'd never so much as touched any of its RPGs. I've heard great things about quite a few of them, so I've decided to go for it.

Games that I've bought this year and intend to complete over time: Phantasy Star I-IV (have the first one on my Everdrive); Landstalker; Shining in the Darkness; Shining Force I-II. A few others I may look into are Beyond Oasis, Shadowrun, and a few of the MD-exclusives that I have on my Everdrive. I also have Pirates Gold, but that's sort of a different beast. 

The first game I tackled was Landstalker. I loved this game. I'd heard about the wonky controls, but I got used to them. The biggest issue with this game IMO is the lack of shadows under the platforms. I think the designers built some of the platforming challenges around this lack, which was sometimes frustrating since your jumps amount to guesswork. But none of the challenges seemed overwhelming to me.

Currently playing Shining in the Darkness. I have never played any of the wealth of previous 3D dungeon crawlers such as Wizardry or Deep Dungeon, but I'm acclimated to the patience needed to map out and grind for levels in these older RPGs, so I think I'll enjoy this one. I've gained a few levels and I'm still mapping out the first dungeon level, so I'm not too far into it yet.

Will update this as I go. What are your memories of the Genesis RPGs? (Please hide your spoilers for my virgin eyes! )

-------------------------
The Assortment: http://www.theassortment.tumblr.c...
Favorites: Metroid, Castlevania, Namco 18

Edited: 09/30/2015 at 10:34 AM by Zycrow

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:29:00 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Zycrow

So this year I've gotten back into the Sega Genesis library, and despite it being one of my favorite consoles since childhood, I'd never so much as touched any of its RPGs. I've heard great things about quite a few of them, so I've decided to go for it.

Games that I've bought this year and intend to complete over time: Phantasy Star I-IV (have the first one on my Everdrive); Landstalker; Shining in the Darkness; Shining Force I-II. A few others I may look into are Beyond Oasis, Shadowrun, and a few of the MD-exclusives that I have on my Everdrive. I also have Pirates Gold, but that's sort of a different beast. 

The first game I tackled was Landstalker. I loved this game. I'd heard about the wonky controls, but I got used to them. The biggest issue with this game IMO is the lack of shadows under the platforms. I think the designers built some of the platforming challenges around this lack, which was sometimes frustrating since your jumps amount to guesswork. But none of the challenges seemed overwhelming to me.

Currently playing Shining in the Darkness. I have never played any of the wealth of previous 3D dungeon crawlers such as Wizardry or Deep Dungeon, but I'm acclimated to the patience needed to map out and grind for levels in these older RPGs, so I think I'll enjoy this one. I've gained a few levels and I'm still mapping out the first dungeon level, so I'm not too far into it yet.

Will update this as I go. What are your memories of the Genesis RPGs? (Please hide your spoilers for my virgin eyes! )
Fuck that, I generally just follow the right (Or sometimes the left) wall all the way around soon as I get into a maze.  It's not 100%, even less with teleporters on maps, but it helps keep you from getting lost.  If you make it back to where you started from you know it's a giant loop, and you have to then follow the wall you didn't follow.

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:35:38 AM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
I just memorize the map.

But Shining in the Darkness is a good one. Love the humor in the tavern. As it certainly fleshes out your party members better than pretty much every other dungeon crawler I've ever played.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:42:39 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
This will be interesting to see your reactions.

As for me, I have an unusual history with Genesis RPGs.
The only ones I played in the early-to-mid 90's while owning a Genesis were -
Shadowrun, Shining Force 2, Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star 2, and Shining in the Darkness.

Years later I started exploring more of the games I missed, playing games like Phantasy Stars 3 and 4 and Super Hydelide.

I've always wanted to play so many more such as Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Shining Force 1.

Right now I feel that Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star 4, and Shadowrun are some of the best RPGs the system has to offer.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 09/22/2015 at 10:43 AM by NickTLG

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:56:57 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Anyone play Syndicate?

I've been curious about that one. I really do need to start an RPG on Genesis. I believe I have them all besides Shining in the Darkness & Dungeons and Dragons.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:40:12 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I am actually in the same exact boat, I grew up with Genesis but have not touched any of the RPGs even though it is my favourite genre.

Just got a Sega CD so I will be testing out Shining Force CD and the Lunar games before I touch the Genesis ones but I am pumped as I have heard good stuff.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:47:20 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Silent Hill

Anyone play Syndicate?

I've been curious about that one. I really do need to start an RPG on Genesis. I believe I have them all besides Shining in the Darkness & Dungeons and Dragons.

I'm having trouble imagining Syndicate playing well without the PC-mouse interface...

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:03:04 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
For some reason, I could never get into RPGs on the Genesis. I wish I could explain it, but they just never "clicked" with me.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:37:32 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

For some reason, I could never get into RPGs on the Genesis. I wish I could explain it, but they just never "clicked" with me.
While I'm a bit vocal about my dislike of the term RPG for video games (But that's some other thread), one term that I think is really used poorly is jRPG vs wRPG\cRPG.  Sega RPGs don't generally fit the jRPG mold.  They're generally a bit more serious too, so they seem a bit more western than most true "jRPGs".

And honestly, they all do seem a bit on the dull side at times to me.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:42:59 PM
neutopia6 (1)
(Walter Bomba) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
Check out fatal labyrinth, I got addicted its fucking great haha.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:34:24 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I just got Exile, which I'm excited to try out. Hardcoregaming101 inspired that move.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:35:57 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

I said this in the other thread, but they are definitely archaic in many cases.  It's hard to go back to Shining Force after playing Tactics Ogre or Front Mission, Phantasy Star II after playing Chrono Trigger, Crusader of Centy is no Zelda, etc.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:44:47 PM
Zycrow (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I said this in the other thread, but they are definitely archaic in many cases.  It's hard to go back to Shining Force after playing Tactics Ogre or Front Mission, Phantasy Star II after playing Chrono Trigger, Crusader of Centy is no Zelda, etc.

I can understand this. For example I never thought I would be able to enjoy the original Final Fantasy for NES after playing IV-VI, and after playing the GBA remake that gives you save states and other "modern" creature comforts. 

But I was able to get myself into the right mindset and ended up really enjoying the experience. That's the way I approach older games that haven't aged as well. (And really, what else can stand up to Chrono Trigger anyway? )

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:47:24 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Yeah, I'm going through Breath of Fire 2 right now, which is a later, respected, SNES RPG. And I'm finding it to be a slog, just like the first time I attempted it

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:21:51 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

This is going to be the same problem with me I think, the SNES/Square/Enix RPGs mean to much to me and are so perfectly polished in every way that I feel when I go to play the Genesis/CD RPGs I will have a hard time playing them because they just are not as polished and kind of plain.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:28:07 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

This is going to be the same problem with me I think, the SNES/Square/Enix RPGs mean to much to me and are so perfectly polished in every way that I feel when I go to play the Genesis/CD RPGs I will have a hard time playing them because they just are not as polished and kind of plain.

Precisely. The SNES and Genesis are apples and oranges for me. The SNES has the action/RPGs, and the Genesis has the platformers and beat 'em ups. It's a huge switch going from one to the other for me, and I've played all the Phantasy Star titles at one time or another.

Edited: 09/22/2015 at 04:28 PM by NostalgicMachine

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:32:03 PM
Otraotaku (31)
(Otra The Otaku) < Lolo Lord >
Indiana

I may look into are Beyond Oasis

I love that game

Looking for "Cart Only" BOUNTYS! Please feel free to PM with offers & add+ Shipping!
Pocky & Rocky 2 $200,  Pocky Rocky 1 $75, Bronkie The Bronchiasaurus $125, Space MegaForce $125, Super Turrican 2 $100, Zero: Kamakazi Squirrel $115

Trades
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Want List
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 09/22/2015 at 05:32 PM by Otraotaku

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:54:59 AM
LAMRN15 (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Arkansas
Shining Force 1 and 2 are my personal favorites.

My collection: https://spreadsheets.google.com/s...

I'm a PC/console/handheld gamer and retro collector!

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:01:35 AM
Zycrow (0)
< Little Mac >

Here's my mapping progress of the labyrinth's first level. I enjoy games that require map-making - I like having something in physical space that represents my progress. Plus it makes it easier to find landmarks again. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:04:30 AM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
I don't always enjoy mapmaking, but it was a big part of the fun of Shining in the Darkness for me -- maybe because the maps are all of reasonable size, graph-paper-friendly, and relatively free of intentionally confusing BS. I had a good time playing through that game.

Edited: 09/23/2015 at 10:04 AM by bronzeshield

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:17:24 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

Here's my mapping progress of the labyrinth's first level. I enjoy games that require map-making - I like having something in physical space that represents my progress. Plus it makes it easier to find landmarks again.

Till you encounter games with teleporters or spinners with no visual effect, or infinite corridors.  Then map making sucks cause you discovered everything you did is invalid.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:36:33 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Till you encounter games with teleporters or spinners with no visual effect, or infinite corridors.  Then map making sucks cause you discovered everything you did is invalid.
Unannunciated teleporters and spinners are just the level designer being a dickhead.

There is no excuse for that kind of crap.

Edited: 09/24/2015 at 11:36 AM by arch_8ngel

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:54:35 AM
The Bear (57)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Make sure you play Shining Force I & II soon. So good and I will pump them until the end of time!

Oddly enough, I LOVE those games so much and own Shining in the Darkness but I still haven't played it.

EDIT: Also maybe controversial, but Shining Force I is better than II.

II has better graphics, more characters, an "open world", etc... but the first one just takes the cake. I enjoyed the chapter system and the overall feel of the first game just resonates more with me. I recently completed II for the 3rd time, and it's definitely awesome- don't get me wrong. I just put it 1 notch below the original.

Creator of Bits & GloryYouTube | Twitch | TwitterInstagram | Facebook

Edited: 09/24/2015 at 11:56 AM by The Bear

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:49:30 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Originally posted by: The Bear

Make sure you play Shining Force I & II soon. So good and I will pump them until the end of time!

Oddly enough, I LOVE those games so much and own Shining in the Darkness but I still haven't played it.

II has better graphics, more characters, an "open world", etc... but the first one just takes the cake. I enjoyed the chapter system and the overall feel of the first game just resonates more with me. I recently completed II for the 3rd time, and it's definitely awesome- don't get me wrong. I just put it 1 notch below the original.

Uh dude I hate to break it to you, but your avatar is from Shining Force 2 ^o^
PS Slade is awesome.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 09/24/2015 at 12:54 PM by NickTLG

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:02:36 PM
The Bear (57)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: cirellio

Originally posted by: The Bear

Uh dude I hate to break it to you, but your avatar is from Shining Force 2 ^o^
PS Slade is awesome.

Hahaha, I actually thought about how hypocritical that looked after I posted it! But Slade is my boy. Probably my favorite character of the first two.

I'm a huge fan of Domingo, Hanzou, and Arthur from the first.

As the years have gone on I've also grown to love the Centuar/Rangers from the first two (Lyle and May).

I really love the design and charm of Kiwi from SFII but since his HP stays so low he's pretty much useless.

Also last random thought: Max >>>> Bowie

Creator of Bits & GloryYouTube | Twitch | TwitterInstagram | Facebook