Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Crystalis *Almost* as good as Zelda

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:23:54 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
In keeping with the spirit of my other "rediscovery" threads*, I came/saw/conquered Crystalis today.

I hesitate to call this game an RPG, since it plays almost exactly like The Legend of Zelda, which I do not consider an RPG. This is an action/adventure game with a leveling system. It is extremely linear. You move from one town to the next, and the townsfolk tell you exactly where to go.

One interesting thing about this game is that it has one of the most spoiler-filled instruction manuals I have ever seen. The item lists tell you where you will find the item, and what you will do with it. That's fine. The game actually has an in-game hint function in the form of telepathic communication with the wise men. I didn't use telepathy much in my play, but I did notice that it stopped being useful right after reaching Mt. Hydra. The wise men no longer had any new information.

The walking speed is equal to what would be a run in any other game, which is much appreciated. I was in no particular hurry to blaze through the game, but the fast walking speed does make this game more enjoyable.

I spent four or five gaming sessions on this game. It was a satisfying game to complete. I made a few crude maps of the caves and such, so as to avoid going around in circles. Some of the areas are particularly confusing, with many paths ultimately looping back around to areas I had already explored.

I got all the way to the final area when I realized I was still missing the water bracelet. I had fought several rather difficult bosses who were only weak to water. No wonder they were so difficult! I would have had a much easier time if I had the level three water attack. I teleported around trying to figure out how I missed it. I then remembered (both from in-game text and previous memory) that there was supposed to be a town filled with only women. I was then able to retrace my steps and discover the town, where I found the bracelet sitting in a basement.

Overall, it is as great as I remember it. I am not 100% sure that I completed the game when it was initially released. I don't recall much of the game, but some of it came back to me as I played. However, I didn't remember anything from Goa on, so I probably just rented the game, played for my three days, incomplete, and returned it

The world is safe again!

*previous threads

Double Dragon fun

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 04/12/2011 at 01:12 PM by Zing

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:35:36 PM
Max Velocity (38)
< Kraid Killer >
Nova Scotia
Cool I actually have this game CIB and have yet to play it. I'll have to pop it in and see if it's fun. I hope there's not a lot of dungeon crawling.

SNES - 660

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:18:48 PM
AlexKunio (24)
(Alex Ryan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
When I was a kid I played this so much that I still remember the game genie code for infinite magic SXNOVXSE. It's a whole lot of fun with infinite magic

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:34:24 PM
Sam D. (2)
(Sam Davidson) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Jersey
This game has been on my to-get list for quite a while now. I'm definitely going to try and pick up a cart of it very soon, it sounds like a solid game! Good post dude, informative read.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:59:33 PM
8bitfun (0)

(Jeremy Knapp) < Tourian Tourist >
Maine
This game is very under-rated. I actually top fived it here http://www.8bitfun.com/?p=122... . The controls, music, gameplay and story line are epic. Great game to pick up if you haven't played it yet.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:32:47 PM
Shogun (53)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
This is also high on my list of NES games to play...need to find a nice copy first I guess!

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:41:08 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
I've enjoyed the very little i've played of it, so the verdict is still on hold for me.

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:56:16 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I did forget to mention the music. Before I even started playing this time around I could still remember the town music.

I wonder who SNK paid for this game. There is no way the company which made only terrible arcade ports for the NES could have done this on their own.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:08:49 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Great call on that one, and you're so on it with the fact that it not only is a Zelda clone, but that it gives you so many good hints and makes it more approachable with the fast 'running' err walking speed. I've always loved this game, shameful that SNK never got this creative again really as it was one of their few to branch away from arcade ports and it is awesome. I totally like Zelda more but at times I do find it a bit superior. Shame you didn't mention the music until your other post, it truly is memorable, especially that initial field music out of the starter town.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:41:30 AM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
I remember playing this as a kid. I picked it up about a year ago and got stuck somewhere and said fuck it. I need to go back. I liked it a lot, as I recall. Cool game.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:03:53 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
To me, this game is almost the NES equivalent of Secret of Mana, in terms of gameplay and quality. Definitely one of my childhood favorites.

Zelda definitely feels like a bigger world for some reason, even though I'm nearly certain that Crystalis actually is a larger game.

Zelda is pretty rudimentary by comparison, though.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:18:43 AM
Splash (10)
(Pal Rocks) < Meka Chicken >
Germany
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

To me, this game is almost the NES equivalent of Secret of Mana

If that's true, I need this game!!!

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:49:24 AM
Guivader (22)
(Guilherme the Vader) < Crack Trooper >
Brazil
I think it resembles more the Soulblazer series. I never checked if anyone who worked on Crystalis also worked on Soublazer, Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma.

ABACABB

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:52:54 PM
suicidalparrot (126)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Guivader

I think it resembles more the Soulblazer series. I never checked if anyone who worked on Crystalis also worked on Soublazer, Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma.

I can't read your sig without hearing  "Get over here!!"

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:15:14 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I had always assumed the main character was intentionally androgynous, so both boy and girl players would feel comfortable. However, by the end of the game, it is clear that the hero is male. He still looks pretty feminine to me.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:56:04 PM
suicidalparrot (126)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
I've always loved Crystalis. It's one of the games I played a lot as a kid.I really need to go back and play through it again as I've forgotten quite a bit about it.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:31:26 PM
Guivader (22)
(Guilherme the Vader) < Crack Trooper >
Brazil
Originally posted by: suicidalparrot

Originally posted by: Guivader

I can't read your sig without hearing  "Get over here!!"

That`s the intention

Originally posted by: Zing

I had always assumed the main character was intentionally androgynous, so both boy and girl players would feel comfortable. However, by the end of the game, it is clear that the hero is male. He still looks pretty feminine to me.

I always assumed it was a girl. I even thought how cool it was for the game to have a female main character  The cover art should be a clue tough.

ABACABB

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:31:16 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
I put this down the first time not playing many RPG/AA's. Then played some Zelda, liked it more at first, and wanted some more RPG's to play when I got finished with it (Or action adventure, don't kill me overthe terms.) and man, this game is just amazing once I gave it a second playthrough. Great atmospheric music and really nice graphics, they please the eye would be the easiest way to describe them. Nice and vibrant. Truthfully, I also look at this game as the best RPG/AA on the NES, With Zelda second. This game just offers a lot in terms of gameplay and bosses and puzzles and adventure and *SPOILER ALERT* when I reached the part in the game where the whole town dies, it truthfully just puts the game game over edge when in comes to actually being related to characters in a NES game. Even though the characters weren't too prominent (only meeting them once or twice and them giving you stuff) when you lost them, your heart actually does drop. Mine did at least. I couldn't believe it. But that's what makes a good game.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:45:06 PM
StanJr (5)
(Stan D) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Very clearly one of the NES's best games that gets overshadowed by the big names. Crystalis and Battle of Olympus are two truly amazing action-rpgs.

Love the graphics and the music, great game play and story. I used to get stuck on the mountain with the slippery slopes and always loved being in the town by the waterfall.

Game is magic.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:48:46 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
What if Nintendo released a new game for the 3DS. I think it'd be perfect, despite myself probably not going to own a 3DS until they're a penny on the dollar of the $250 cost. They have the rights. And besides the GBC port being terrible, this game could seriously be an ace in the hole for not releasing a big-named game but still have one that can compete with the best. Maybe competing with Zelda is what they're afriad of, though....

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:08:19 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: 3GenGames

What if Nintendo released a new game for the 3DS. I think it'd be perfect, despite myself probably not going to own a 3DS until they're a penny on the dollar of the $250 cost. They have the rights. And besides the GBC port being terrible, this game could seriously be an ace in the hole for not releasing a big-named game but still have one that can compete with the best. Maybe competing with Zelda is what they're afriad of, though....

What was terrible about the GBC port?  It was easier, sure, but otherwise played the same.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:43:08 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
The area was confined and not re-scaled, the new music was awful, but other than that I really can't remember. I think it played the same but it has been 10 years since I got rid of it to reacquire the NES version.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:30:39 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Area was confined? What area? I remember the maps all being the same.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:48:21 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
The screen area. The game was designed for a 4:3 ratio television set. The gameboy is basically square, so you have same scale sprites and backgrounds wedged into a tighter area. It's the same reason I can't play that stupid Megaman and Bass game on GBA, the bosses take up like a 1/4 of the screen with no area to dodge, but (back then) I could kick the Super Famicom versions ass.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:49:41 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I guess it didn't bother me.